HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:13 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,804 Posts
Question
Info needed on Nine Eagles Ultra Micro Linear Servos

So I have a Nine Eagles ultra micro linear servo from a P47 that I had converted to Specktrum electronics from Parkzone UM Electronics.

Tonight, I wired on a Parkzone servo plug onto the NE Servo, and found the colored wires do the following

NE linear servo

red (signal)
Yellow (+)
Black (-)

Whereas the PZ servo is as follows

red (+)
Brown (-)
Orange (signal)

After all was wired up to its corresponding wire, I tested and it worked fine. However, this NE servo looks to have the same travel as the Parkzone long throw UM servos (AS2000L), but for some reason off the parkzone AR6400L this converted NE servo has about half the travel of the parkzone variant.

Any idea why this would happen on the NE servo with parkzone connector?

Also there is an adjustment pot on the NE servo, which I think is for centering, but not sure, a the servo never seems to be quite center.

anyway

wondering if anyone could offer up any explanations.

thanks
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Last edited by Razors edge 29; Mar 22, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:17 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
chinese.....

its just the way they make them. if you got a good radio (dx6i or better) you can adjust travel to 125% to get 'normal' throws out of them. if you got the DX5e like me, your stuck with it, unless you are good with PIC's and programming. then you could build your own booster.
but they are cheap, and they are mostly reliable. the alternitive is the 20+ AS2000.
nemo
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:24 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
You're 100% sure that the Red is the signal and Yellow is positive on the NE servo??? That would be a very crazy choice of color for wiring anything, D.C. wise... Black and Red are usually Ground and Positive. Sure it's not a standard, but it's widely accepted. Any manufacturing outfit who would choose Yellow for positive and red for signal is asking for trouble big time. I guess if it does work, you have it right, but I'm wondering if it could not work even if you have both wires mixed up.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:30 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,804 Posts
I agree 100% with you that yellow should be signal BUT I tried it that way and no go.
First tested the wires with battery to see which ones moved motor and it was yellow and black - which is bizarre yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
You're 100% sure that the Red is the signal and Yellow is positive on the NE servo??? That would be a very crazy choice of color for wiring anything, D.C. wise... Black and Red are usually Ground and Positive. Sure it's not a standard, but it's widely accepted. Any manufacturing outfit who would choose Yellow for positive and red for signal is asking for trouble big time. I guess if it does work, you have it right, but I'm wondering if it could not work even if you have both wires mixed up.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:59 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I agree 100% with you that yellow should be signal BUT I tried it that way and no go.
First tested the wires with battery to see which ones moved motor and it was yellow and black - which is bizarre yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread:
In looking at a linear servo for another 9 Eagles plane (Extra 300)

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=10179

they have the servo wiring order as: black, yellow, red.
Which means they are bound to violate some convention:
1. If red was +V and yellow was signal, then they would violate the "+V in the middle" convention for servo wiring (so connecting backwards would probably short and smoke something).

2. As is, red seems to be signal and yellow +V, which violates the convention that red be +V.

Side note on conflicting conventions: in the DC powered world, black is ground, but in the AC powered world, the wires are black and white, with black being the hot wire and white being ground (often literally connected to ground via a water pipe, etc.).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:35 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,804 Posts
Yes black is hot in AC

I converted my NE servo but it doesn't work well on Specktrum unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread:
In looking at a linear servo for another 9 Eagles plane (Extra 300)

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=10179

they have the servo wiring order as: black, yellow, red.
Which means they are bound to violate some convention:
1. If red was +V and yellow was signal, then they would violate the "+V in the middle" convention for servo wiring (so connecting backwards would probably short and smoke something).

2. As is, red seems to be signal and yellow +V, which violates the convention that red be +V.

Side note on conflicting conventions: in the DC powered world, black is ground, but in the AC powered world, the wires are black and white, with black being the hot wire and white being ground (often literally connected to ground via a water pipe, etc.).
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:23 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
I converted my NE servo but it doesn't work well on Specktrum unfortunately
You have mentioned that the travel is not so good.
Any other problems?

I was wondering about using NE linear servos elsewhere because with a rotary pot (instead of a linear strip pot), I am hoping that the NE linear servos will not need regular cleaning like the Parkzone/Eflite linear servos.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:40 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,804 Posts
I can max out servo travel to make it better BUT, if using with another servo then there is a lot of differential which is obviously not good.

they aren't as fast as specktrum servos from my experience either!

Quote:
You have mentioned that the travel is not so good.
Any other problems?

I was wondering about using NE linear servos elsewhere because with a rotary pot (instead of a linear strip pot), I am hoping that the NE linear servos will not need regular cleaning like the Parkzone/Eflite linear servos.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:38 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
I can max out servo travel to make it better BUT, if using with another servo then there is a lot of differential which is obviously not good.

they aren't as fast as specktrum servos from my experience either!
Then pairing it with a spektrum servo to drive a set of elevons should make for "interesting" flying

Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:02 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,804 Posts
Lol

Exactly

Quote:
Then pairing it with a spektrum servo to drive a set of elevons should make for "interesting" flying

Thanks for the info.