Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Steve,

Have you taken possession of the bird? Got a call from "the shop" she was just delivered.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 09:05 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Hi Ben

Yes, it got here Thursday. The cowl was damaged, so I shot a couple pics. They called yesterday to let me know they were out of spares, but that they had pulled one from another kit; and it should be in my hands Tuesday - GREAT customer service.

Extremely well designed kit. Nice to see airfoiled tailfeathers - take THAT HK Slick!!

One thing I saw right away is that I will have to get some standoffs before mounting the Motrolfly, as it's shorter than the Hyp. Btw, sold the Hyp motor for $70. Prob could have gotten a bit more, but not much. I think the Hyp's and Scorp's are way overpriced right now.

I have decided to try a set of the Solar servos model D657 - 25g metal digi's. They are a tad big, so I'm gonna hafta open up the servo boxes on the plane just a bit. I've already looked, and there's plenty of meat framing them, so shouldn't be a prob.

So, here's my setup:

Motrolfly 3615-750
APC 14x7
Ice Lite 75a
AR6210
Solar D657's
Gensace 4s 2500 25c

I have everything in hand, but now my back is acting up; so it will likely be a few days before I can get started.

What's your setup and schedule?

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old May 13, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I'll probably run the stock motor, hyperion servos and CC75.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Sorry Steve. I/we sold my 330SC 35e to a walk in customer while I was opening the box to inspect the plane. I'm going to order another. Btw, I stopped by PCH and asked for the Samson. It was sold a few days ago at 35% off the listed price.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Hey guys,

Just got myself one of these as a step up from my 3D profile. A quick question, I have DS13-TMB's for this build, am I goin to get the correct surface throws with the standard arms or will I be needing arm extensions?

Have mounted the factory supplied motor with 1/4" ali spacers with a CC100 Lite ESC, and will be using 4S 2250mAh Nano-Tech lipo's untill I order some bigger packs. What are people's thoughts on preferred pack size for this plane? Looks like I should get 4-5mins flying time with the 2250's.

QDRevenger.
QDRevenger is offline Find More Posts by QDRevenger
Last edited by QDRevenger; Jun 12, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:29 PM
Manila, Philippines and Burlingame, CA
Joined Jul 2007
241 Posts
Qd - the 4s 2200s 35c are perfect for 5mins flight time mixed 3d while keeping weight low
Gopedasia is offline Find More Posts by Gopedasia
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Thanks for that, thats what i wanted to hear. Onwards with the build then, can't wait.

QDRevenger.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Maidened my Extra this morning, I love it. Flys well, a little tip stally when slow and lots of elevator but boy you can throw this thing around. Used a XOAR 13 x 8 wooden prop and hovering on 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. Had 3 x 4min flights on the 2250mAh packs, so will charge them up later and see how much I used. Goin to need more packs, 5 won't be enough.

QDRevenger.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:32 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
I'm starting to slowly shift my attention to the unbuilt Extra 330SC in my basement. I've got most of the stuff I need to complete it but I'm still on the fence about servos.

Someone in this thread recommended 4x HS85MG's and I almost settled with that because it seems like a good servo. But now I've started thinking about digitals and maybe going for the 5085MG's instead. But then another problems comes to mind. Power consumption.

I have a 60 Amp ESC with a 3A switching bec. I've never used digital servos before but the specs say the 5085MG's pull up to 2 Amps while stalled??? Running 4x digital servos on a 3 Amp bec feels scary with that in mind. So do I get a UBEC or step back down to the analog version? Are the digital servos really that much better? Better centering and holding is what feels like the most important factor for me. But I'm not convinced that the difference is big enough to make it worthwhile in this case.

I want this plane to be as good as it can be. I won't be putting cheap hobbyking servos in this one, but I won't throw away money and time on it for no reason either so... Help? I can't decide.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:14 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
I'm starting to slowly shift my attention to the unbuilt Extra 330SC in my basement. I've got most of the stuff I need to complete it but I'm still on the fence about servos.

Someone in this thread recommended 4x HS85MG's and I almost settled with that because it seems like a good servo. But now I've started thinking about digitals and maybe going for the 5085MG's instead. But then another problems comes to mind. Power consumption.

I have a 60 Amp ESC with a 3A switching bec. I've never used digital servos before but the specs say the 5085MG's pull up to 2 Amps while stalled??? Running 4x digital servos on a 3 Amp bec feels scary with that in mind. So do I get a UBEC or step back down to the analog version? Are the digital servos really that much better? Better centering and holding is what feels like the most important factor for me. But I'm not convinced that the difference is big enough to make it worthwhile in this case.

I want this plane to be as good as it can be. I won't be putting cheap hobbyking servos in this one, but I won't throw away money and time on it for no reason either so... Help? I can't decide.
Well I have been running HS-85mg servos in my 51'' 3dhs AJ slick for over a year flying some aggressive 3D and have yet to have a problem with them.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Are you running them on all control surfaces?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
Are you running them on all control surfaces?
Yes, and I do full throttle KE spins rolling harriores and everything else with no problems. I do not own this plane, I have the 3dhs AJ 51'' SLick.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:01 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
That's good to hear. I won't be flying crazy 3D just sticking with normal aerobatics. I think I will go the cheap and easy way and just get me four of the 85MG's. Thank you for your reply.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:22 AM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
587 Posts
I'm running the DS13 metal geared Hyperions on mine and have had no issues thus far...also agree that the 85MG's are good servos.
daedalusrobert is online now Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:44 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
I changed my mind again!

I ordered 2x DS13ACB for ailerons. I wanted one for elevator as well but they only had two left in stock so I thought no problem, I'll just get 2x DS13TCB for both elevator and rudder. But no, they only had one of those in stock. Bummer.
BUT, they did have a bunch of DS13TMB so what I ended up getting was this:

2x DS13ACB - ailerons
1x DS13TCB - elevator
1x DS13TMB - rudder

The reason why I finally chose the Atlas servos was because of the carbonpoly gears. I want a good servo with top bearing but I want to try and stay away from metal gears by fear of them having, or developing slop. I don't know what is true about that big discussion, some love metal gears some don't but anyway... Ending up with a metal gear servo on the rudder feels good. I think that's where it's most needed anyway.