HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Michael in Toronto's Avatar
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
Discussion
You want to boycott Israel? Kiss this!

Lead singer of Kiss Gene Simmons slams Israel boycotters

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...tters-1.351197

He said artists who avoid Israel - such as Elvis Costello, the Pixies and Roger Waters, who joined the movement after appearing in Israel in 2006 - would be better served directing their anger at Arab dictators.

**************

Simmons is married to Canadian Shannon Tweed. Of course that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, but, for those of you who don't know, her looks are typical of Canadian women.

Go ahead and Google her; she is dressed in most of the photos.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:30 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
SKYPILEIT's Avatar
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
Simmons is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto View Post
Lead singer of Kiss Gene Simmons slams Israel boycotters

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...tters-1.351197

He said artists who avoid Israel - such as Elvis Costello, the Pixies and Roger Waters, who joined the movement after appearing in Israel in 2006 - would be better served directing their anger at Arab dictators.

**************
I'm suprised..'The Pixies'..?A cultural boycott of Israel.?Those inflated egos have somehow distorted their ability to think logically.Maybe they could try a lesson in real life based upon experience.

All those before mentioned musicians should not only perform in Israel,but live there for a year or so.

..then try living under one of the Arabic dictators with Sharia law.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:48 AM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Hey, it cuts both ways. Israel banned The Beatles in the 1960's stating that the group had no artistic merit.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:52 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Michael in Toronto's Avatar
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Hey, it cuts both ways. Israel banned The Beatles in the 1960's stating that the group had no artistic merit.
Israel has since formally apologized, and invited Paul McCartney back to perform.

McCartney subsequently did a fantastic concert in Tel Aviv.

Plenty of clips on youtube.


***************

Coincidentally, Simmons says that the Beatles are one of his most significant influences.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
aerogel's Avatar
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Hey, it cuts both ways. Israel banned The Beatles in the 1960's stating that the group had no artistic merit.
Hmm was this before or after they started taking drugs.....I would agree with them on the before part…I can’t stand there early stuff.
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:02 AM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto View Post
Israel has since formally apologized, and invited Paul McCartney back to perform.

McCartney subsequently did a fantastic concert in Tel Aviv.

Plenty of clips on youtube.


***************

Coincidentally, Simmons says that the Beatles are one of his most significant influences.
Yes, I'm aware that Macca played Tel Aviv. It doesn't alter the 40-odd year ban though and it means that "The Israelites" never got the opportunity to see/hear The Beatles in action. Their loss.

Did Desmond Decker ever perform his famous hit there, BTW?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:20 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Michael in Toronto's Avatar
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Yes, I'm aware that Macca played Tel Aviv. It doesn't alter the 40-odd year ban though and it means that "The Israelites" never got the opportunity to see/hear The Beatles in action. Their loss.
You are exaggerating and exasperating a non-issue.

There never existed a 40-year ban.
There was never a ban.

There was a bad decision by a bureaucrat.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:24 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Gene is not actually married to Shannon, or did that change recently? He has always been against 'ruining a perfectly good relationship with marriage'.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:33 AM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto View Post
You are exaggerating and exasperating a non-issue.

There never existed a 40-year ban.
There was never a ban.

There was a bad decision by a bureaucrat.
Here's the Torygraph story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...-hysteria.html

or the US media version

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ory?id=4199077

The apology came 43 years after the ban.


or, if you'd prefer an Israeli source

http://www.haaretz.com/news/with-eye...s-ban-1.238085
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:57 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Michael in Toronto's Avatar
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
There was no formal ban.

However, the word sounds very exciting when used in context to the lead up to a McCartney concert.

The apology itself was a great publicity stunt leading to the concert shortly thereafter.

Besides, it has nothing to do with 'working both ways'.

Rejecting a rock-n-roll band for a non-political reason has nothing to do with this topic.

You are welcome to deviate from the topic regardless.

I'd enjoy it more if you actually challenged the issue of musicians boycotting Israel, or even went further and defended the term Israeli Apartheid and the Israeli Apartheid Week events held at universities.

I love the Beatles. Beatles memorabilia (posters, records, books, etc.) is available for sale all over Israel. That's a non issue.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:03 AM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto View Post
There was no formal ban.

However, the word sounds very exciting when used in context to the lead up to a McCartney concert.

The apology itself was a great publicity stunt leading to the concert shortly thereafter.

Besides, it has nothing to do with 'working both ways'.

Rejecting a rock-n-roll band for a non-political reason has nothing to do with this topic.

You are welcome to deviate from the topic regardless.

I'd enjoy it more if you actually challenged the issue of musicians boycotting Israel, or even went further and defended the term Israeli Apartheid and the Israeli Apartheid Week events held at universities.

I love the Beatles. Beatles memorabilia (posters, records, books, etc.) is available for sale all over Israel. That's a non issue.
What could be more on-topic in a discussion of boycotts, Israel and musicians than a story of probably the most famous musicians ever being boycotted by Israel? Especially when the OP is such a Beatles fan.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:37 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Michael in Toronto's Avatar
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
What could be more on-topic in a discussion of boycotts, Israel and musicians than a story of probably the most famous musicians ever being boycotted by Israel? Especially when the OP is such a Beatles fan.
As indicated in my post above, there has never been a ban on Beatles.

Beatles music, records, posters, etc., have always been available.
Beatles music has been played on Israeli radio since Beatles music has been played on the radio.

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this discussion.

If you want to suggest that Elvis Costello is somehow justified for boycotting Israel because he feels the Beatles were slighted back in 1964, well then I'd laugh and sarcastically agree.

Is is at all possible, that the reason that you're going in this direction, is because this is the only direction of disagreement between us on this subject? Do you somehow agree that musicians boycotting Israel is wrong?
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:46 AM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto View Post
As indicated in my post above, there has never been a ban on Beatles.

Beatles music, records, posters, etc., have always been available.
Beatles music has been played on Israeli radio since Beatles music has been played on the radio.

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this discussion.
I'm not trying to go anywhere with it. I just find it somewhat ironic that you're getting quite het up about some musicians making the personal choice to boycott Israel, when your favourite musicians of all time were banned from playing in Israel at the height of their international fame.

Quote:
If you want to suggest that Elvis Costello is somehow justified for boycotting Israel because he feels the Beatles were slighted back in 1964, well then I'd laugh and sarcastically agree.
Is that why Declan is boycotting Israel? It's actually the first I've heard of it, in this thread.

Quote:
Is is at all possible, that the reason that you're going in this direction, is because this is the only direction of disagreement between us on this subject? Do you somehow agree that musicians boycotting Israel is wrong?
I don't particularly have an opinion on it. I imagine that it's an individual choice as to where they choose to play, or not, and for what reason.

FWIW if Kiss were playing a gig at the bottom of the drive, I'd close the curtains, so it's no skin off my nose.

As I said, I brought up the Beatles because it leapt out of the page at me that Israel had boycotted the Beatles many years ago, so it goes both ways, as they say.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:11 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Michael in Toronto's Avatar
Joined Oct 2000
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
As I said, I brought up the Beatles because it leapt out of the page at me that Israel had boycotted the Beatles many years ago, so it goes both ways, as they say.

Fine. I'll follow you.

Israel has admitted it was wrong, formally apologized, and invited any Beatles back, with Paul McCartney subsequently putting on a great concert.

When do you think Elvis Costello might apologize and ask for permission to return to entertain "The Israelites"?
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:19 AM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto View Post
Fine. I'll follow you.

Israel has admitted it was wrong, formally apologized, and invited any Beatles back, with Paul McCartney subsequently putting on a great concert.

When do you think Elvis Costello might apologize and ask for permission to return to entertain "The Israelites"?
No idea.

Does Elvis Costello have a lot of fans in Israel?

Does he even do regular gigs here at home in the UK? I haven't heard anything new from him for ages, but I'm not a fan, particularly.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New f-!* will be coming to bh! You will want to see this! ChrisG23 Foamy EDFs 20 Dec 07, 2010 05:55 AM
Question Castle, you say you want to be open, here is your chance vadim Castle Creations 5 Aug 31, 2010 01:09 PM
For Sale Do you want to get this smart charger for free?? Its a good chance for you ! ELE kiki Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 1 Apr 17, 2007 08:20 AM