HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:22 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
771 Posts
Discussion
Anybody have experience landing on centerline droptanks?

I've seen quite a few of you guys with C/L drop tanks on your models. How do these affect belly landings? I am thinking it would cause the plane to flop and grab a wing tip...Anybody have video of a landing with one?
-I am doing an F-18 right now so I could do a couple of underwing tanks instead.
Lets see some pics of your parkjet tanks and ordinance!

DG
DesignGeek is online now Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:31 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
I know a lot of guys go with magnetic attachment so they just pop off if the landing is too rough. Never had ordinance on any of my parkjets before so I'm don't have any real experience though...
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:50 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,781 Posts
I have several planes landing on centerline or wing tanks. This video shows the F-105 landing on it's centerline tank. Model is 1/12th scale, AUW of ~70 oz. No problem
Make sure you transfer the landing loads to the wing by making the centerline attachment to the wing. This one is also a friction fit and removable for landing on its belly.

F-105 Thunderchief RC Pusher Jet at Ace In The Hole Event, Las Vegas, 2009 in HD (3 min 22 sec)

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:01 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
771 Posts
Wow... greased that thing in nice. thanks for the tips and the video. I had never seen the video of landing with one.

Best,

DG
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:46 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
771 Posts
Progress! the mock-up.

So I mocked up a wing pylon and mounted a 330 gallon tank

It's just hanging there at the moment, with a couple tiny drops of hot glue, but you get the idea. the tank it's self is one rolled piece with a centerline keel and two end caps. Hopefully it will get a pair of laminated and sanded fan-fold end caps this week, and a twin for the other side.

---Also put a couple sidewinders on there for fun. enjoy.

DG
RCG Plus Member