Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 03, 2012, 01:00 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,883 Posts
It's supposed to be in today but I'm not holding my breath, just waiting for my nephew to call me. I have to go by his shop a little later on so I will probably stop in. It may take a day or so afterwards for me to get pictures posted as I need to do some final trimming then add latches and floatation to it.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
331 Posts
hey ron i was looking through this thread and came upon one of your pictures, the bottom boat. I really like it, is it scratch built ? what kind of powerplant is in there? im looking to build something like that can u give me some specs on her?
EJ1208 is offline Find More Posts by EJ1208
Old May 03, 2012, 05:52 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,883 Posts
That's a .12-sized verion of John Finch's .21 Wild Thing that was a feature build in RC Boat Modeler magazine. That one in particular was built for me by Mike "Grim Racer" Zaborowski back when his nickname was two words. It came pre-built with a motor mount and fuel cell already installed, I had to do the rest of the work. He did them in both the .12 and .21 sizes but I don't know how many. Phil Thomas of RC Marine Designs made a mold of one and popped out a very few in epoxy-glas.
It's a good running boat for its size and at the time, about all that was available for a decent powerplant were the RC truck engines. That boat has a Fantom first, the a Picco but now an OS. I loved the boat as every time I'd hit the pond I drug it along as it wasn't fussy on the needle even with high nitro and dependable. It hasn't seen water in a good 2 years so it may go up for sale one of these days. It's one of those boats that once you sold it you'd miss.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
331 Posts
wow! sounds like it has some history, im looking for a boat like that, fiberglass or a wood kit doesnt matter. I want to put a car engine in it. Do you no of any?
EJ1208 is offline Find More Posts by EJ1208
Old May 03, 2012, 08:59 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,883 Posts
I've found that the middle-of-the road ones seem to work best in them. Try to find one with a fully threaded crank as oposed to an SG shaft and a rotary carb is easier to hook up than a slide carb. I've spent the big bucks for one engine and it was a disappointment, an LRP. The Fantom's I couldn't get to wind up in a boat either. My OS had one slight mod, a Nova Rossi .21 carb that really woke it up! It went from a wet riding hull to one barely hitting it with just that one change. Most of the .12 carbs are being choked down with the ROAR 5mm bores, kills the performance in boats where we can use any carb we want.
I've been curious as ot how fast I could get it to run with one of my Nova Rossi .12's in it. I have one that does have a specially made air-cooled head for it that's more like a head used on a plane. When the engine gewts as much exposure to cool air like in this hull, they don't need a lot of cooling. My OS only has 3 heat sink fins left on and I could cut off at least one more.
This boat has been in my fleet since around 2002 or 2003 so it's been around for a while. I was hoping to race it once the IMPBA "A" mono class cubic inch limit was raised from .119 to .129". So far about the only .12 class that has been raced is the "A" hydro because of the popularity of the JAE 'riggers. Yeah, got those too.
Old May 07, 2012, 10:01 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,883 Posts
Guess what came in today?
Better pix tomorrow if we can get some decent sunlight here as this one was just taken a little while ago in the darkness of my dungeon with my cell phone.
This hydro-printing is cool stuff as it seems to be as thick as a few good coats of paint.
Old May 07, 2012, 10:09 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Awesome!!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old May 07, 2012, 10:21 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,883 Posts
The old lady is into the tie-dye thing as she used to do her own Tee's back when it was popular the first time so I had it done so hopefully she wouldn't complain too much plus I want others to see it on the water, no excuses there!
I was unsure on how it would come out as pictures on a website really don't give you an idea of the actual size as there were a few other patterns that I was looking at but I'm really happy with this one.
Old May 07, 2012, 10:29 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Yeah it looks great!!!
Old May 08, 2012, 07:20 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,883 Posts
Ok, here's some pix that I promised.
Old May 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Oooooooh yeeeaaah!!! Be sure to get vids!
Old May 08, 2012, 09:00 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,883 Posts
I don't go to the lake without a video camera so you know that I'll have one when I get it wet the first time. When that happens I don't know as I'm returning to work Monday after being off on a medical leave and this afternoon my mother passed away. All of my free time for a while is gone as I'll be back to 7-day weeks plus helping to take care of her affairs.
Old May 08, 2012, 09:36 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Sorry to hear
Old May 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,883 Posts
It's OK as I really shouldn't be throwing a downer into the thread.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:00 AM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,772 Posts
Here's our first big gasser. We are just getting started and she has not even gotten wet yet......51" Cheetah, Zen Powered We are excited!!
Tha Hodgehound is online now Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound