HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
Arowana

Their fast and fun Tech u just have to make sure the inner hull is watertight the fllood chamber is sectioned off with wood and both that I built leaked out of the box. The second build I knew so I coated the whole inside with liquid rubber before starting to build. If u wanna see it run I've got vids on utube runnin 3s lipo with an 1880kv motor under lasher4967 there's also a vid of an Etti I built.
wet banshee is offline Find More Posts by wet banshee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:08 AM
Bushy
Australia, NSW, Temora
Joined Sep 2008
208 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I'll check out the videos. Those Arowana boats seem cheap enough for a fun boat, did you get them from R2 Hobbies?
Tech Head is offline Find More Posts by Tech Head
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
Yes I did from the USA warehouse, only problem with them is if you want to return something they want u to send it back to China.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,825 Posts
Before going back ot the subject at hand, a quick lesson on sales of some RC boats from some USA sites and those on eBay.
READ the fine print! Some will state that any warranties are void once they are shipped out of their home country. Anything beyond an eyeballing of the item and returning it will also void it. Some will only replace the item and not give any refunds plus lucky you get to pay shipping both ways! Just a little food for thought the next time you go shopping for one of those "bargain" boats.
Ron Olson is online now Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:47 PM
Bushy
Australia, NSW, Temora
Joined Sep 2008
208 Posts
Fair point Ron, but at less than half the price of a US made hull I figure it's worth a gamble for a "just for fun boat". However if I was racing it would be a different story.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:59 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,500 Posts
Agreed
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,825 Posts
OK, you get the boat, it breaks down. It may or may not be easy to get replacement parts for it. Does the dealer sell the parts that are most apt to break? Most of our Big 3 in RC boats are made overseas yet those manufacturers keep spare parts in stock so it's easy to get just about any part quickly should the need arise or the pieces can be had from other manufacturers that will fit.
Even a fun boat needs to have some quality built in otherwise you'll spend more time working on it than running. The majority of the members here are most likely not racers but still like to see how fast they can make their boats run. We that do race unfortunately want to think that others are racers which many times isn't the case. The Go .25 really doesn't fit well in any class, just like the .18's as a class had to be created to let them run at events.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
Bushy
Australia, NSW, Temora
Joined Sep 2008
208 Posts
R2 has good parts support, mind you the spares are the same as the part that failed so it may be just a merry go round in some cases. My friends and I just run for fun, we are not racers by any stretch of the imagination, but we all have a ball.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
.... But you can call me Dave
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Agreed

Who do you agree with?

Ron makes a good point! You can buy a bargain boat, but how much will you spend making it reliable? I understand you don't race but you don't want any headaches when you are trying to enjoy a day of boating. Personally I prefer to build my own boats (wether scratch or bare hull) so I know everything is done correctly, to the best of my knowledge any way. Just throwing in my two cents, but to each their own! We are only trying to help, not harsh on you for any decision you decide to make.
DepthsofHell is offline Find More Posts by DepthsofHell
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
Bushy
Australia, NSW, Temora
Joined Sep 2008
208 Posts
I would prefer to build my own boat as well but I'm a disability pensioner and money is really tight around here. If I could afford to I would get a Falcon cat and fit it out nice.

I have built a few boats over the years and spent thousands of dollars. These days I just like to tinker with them mostly and run them now and again.

I know your not coming down on me, we boaters are a gentle helpfull breed.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,500 Posts
What do you guys store your driveshafts in?
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:23 AM
.... But you can call me Dave
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
A five gallon bucket of grease, just kidding! I pull mine out when I get home and wipe the water and grease off them. Then I shove a paper towel wad down my stuffing tube to clean that out. Then I let the shaft sit for a couple days. And finally re-grease and put it back in the stuffing tube until the next day out. No probs thus far.
DepthsofHell is offline Find More Posts by DepthsofHell
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:21 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,825 Posts
Too bad as I just sold my Falcon 41 Cat last Saturday.

OK, back on subject, kind of.. Look in here early next week as my cowl is done at the hydro-printers and should be here hopefully Monday or Tuesday. The guy said that it looks great so I'm a little excited to see it. It was done but was waiting to the clear coat to dry before packing it.
Old May 02, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
Speakin from experience the arowana's I've built have been fast and a blast with little maintenance on 3s lipo turning around 20,000 rpm parts come quick returns are only problem I've had.
Old May 02, 2012, 09:32 PM
Bushy
Australia, NSW, Temora
Joined Sep 2008
208 Posts
Any news on the new painted Hydro cowl yet Ron?