HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,637 Posts
Ok thanks!!!!!
Is a typical mono hull able to jump waves and land without breaking the flex shaft?
Going 80s with the boat, are ya??! lol!
Thx!
Alex
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,912 Posts
Oh yeah, they'll take jumps and stuff like this without damage. I missed that heat as I must have been busy getting my Cat ready or putting it away at the time.
Celina Nat's,,Mono Finals (0 min 54 sec)

That's Marc Levac's Rampage pulling the stunt.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,637 Posts
That made me laugh forever!!!!!!!!
I once did a barrel roll with my SV27 and landed it and kept on going!
So thats good to know that the flex shaft should be able to take it
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:48 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,912 Posts
Oh, you wanted to see an SV-27 Nitro do tricks? Why didn't you say so!
My son running mine at one of my old Kalamazoo Fun Runs. The video plays twice. It's not my vid but one of the guys who drove up from Indiana.
SV 27 Nitro @ Kalamazoo Fun Run 2008 (4 min 44 sec)
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,637 Posts
Hah now thats Awesome!!!!!
What prop are you running? I tried the Grimmy 40x53/3 I think, somewhere in that range, and my favorite, 40x53/2. I just lost that as you know due to a shaft break. I bought a X438 to see how that performs, its a lot cheaper.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:26 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,912 Posts
That might have been what was on it at the time. I have to keep an eye on my kid as he was trying a lot of props out of my box. It was amazing though as to what that little motor could turn but the big ones threw the handling out the window. I tried the Octura X-437, 438, 638 and 440 but the Grimmie prop seemed to work as well as anything.

OK, back to the thread. The gas 'rigger is coming along nicely. The motor is mounted but I think that it's going to get a Zenoah Easy-Start on it before it hits the water. I've got a 1/4 scale servo, radio box seals and a 30" long flex cable that should be here tomorrow. I kind of have to use a 1/4 scale servo as that's what the hull was set up for otherwise it would have gotten a standard sized one. A 24" cable was about 2" too short so I had to go the next length up. Got a buddy that's going to drill the boom tubes for me or else I'm going to need a V block to mount on my drill press. I went to Harbor Freight last Monday and forgot all about getting one there.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:59 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,912 Posts
OK, here is the boat that I've been semi-secretive about. It's a Warlock gas 'rigger with a Quick-Draw 25 in it, close to hitting the water. I'm just waiting the the cowl to come back from being hydro-printed and want to put a Zenoah Easy-Start on it.
Yesterday I picked up a few parts that I needed for it at the Toledo show, mainly plumbing pieces.
Last edited by Ron Olson; Apr 14, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,637 Posts
Saweet!!!!!!!

Just took my SV27 Nitri out today, ran her along side te big boat and with an Octura X438 she topped out at 39MPH. If there was just a tiny ripple instead of waves I could probably hit 40+!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:29 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,912 Posts
They'll hit 40 but it just takes time and tweaking to get them there. If the handling starts going away at speed then 4-6 oz. of lead under the radio box will help with stability.

With this boat almost done I started looking around the basement to see what else I could work on. There is that Falcon 41 that I started a rebuild on but got thrown on the back burner when I got this 'rigger. Originally I was looking for a Sport gas hydro but that may be what I'll work on this coming winter.
I'm not expecting the cowl for this to be back for 1-2 weeks yet as it's on the other side of the state getting dipped. My nephew that owns a taxidermy shop sent it out to a guy that he knows that does deer antlers and gun stocks. He wants a shot of it mounted on the boat when it gets back for his online album.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,637 Posts
Hah cool cant wait!!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:14 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,912 Posts
You? I'm kind of going stir crazy and started looking around the shop to see what else I could start throwing back together! I put a motor back into my other 'rigger after putting new electronics on it as it had a high-speed miss that at first I thought was carb problems. It's just killing time until I head back to "Fun City", my job tomorrow.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,637 Posts
At least you dont have homework!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
gettin a little crazy

My first brushed electric that is in process of becoming rescue boat, big swamp buggy, flatbottom w/.61 irvine, nitro vee, tunnel hull, 2 arowanas, U-76 current build and that wicked lookin hydro I just got.
wet banshee is offline Find More Posts by wet banshee
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,637 Posts
Very cool!!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:54 PM
Bushy
Australia, NSW, Temora
Joined Sep 2008
208 Posts
Nice fleet you have there! How do the Aroana's go? Iv'e been tossing around the idea of building one.

Cheers, Brett.
Tech Head is offline Find More Posts by Tech Head