HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Alex Schauer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:42 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
Yeah, it looks like it. It's not that I don't like nitro anymore but what little free time that I get to run has been spent getting the gas boats going. I've got a couple of them that haven't seen water yet.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:41 AM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,548 Posts
Yeah. I spose you would use that money to upgrade you gas boats then?
Alex
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:56 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
Or put the money back in the bank. the wife was just a little livid yesterday as I didn't tell her what I spent for it but she doesn't tell me how much she spends on lottery tickets either and we know that each other would lie about it anyway!
I have been kind of looking around for a gas Sport hydro though......
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:48 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,548 Posts
You should make a gas giant.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:18 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
Nah, I'm staying away from big gas boats. Can't race the monsters and it's hard enough to get what I already have up and down the basement steps.
The only thing I'm really watching not is how the LS-36 classes are going to take off in the area seeing how Zenoah and RCMK have come out with 30cc engines or upgrade kits. We're keeping an eye on what the 4-wheelers are doing also with tiny gas burners that can go into smaller nitro hulls.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:27 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,548 Posts
Oooh you mean trucks?
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:28 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
Yes, the cars, trucks, buggies, truggies, etc. are now looking at gas power and one of them is a small .21/3.5cc.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:01 AM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,548 Posts
Seriously?? If nitro and gas have the same displacement, do they have the same power? Id guess that Nitro would have more power because of that desil idea.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:36 AM
dry land sailor
Prince George, BC
Joined Jul 2008
47 Posts
my warehouse hobbies Enforcer Team Pro

this is my team pro with a wrap applied.
tootalltechie is offline Find More Posts by tootalltechie
Last edited by tootalltechie; Nov 21, 2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: could not see image
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:31 AM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,548 Posts
As soon as I get sone cash I will be building a flying hydroplane!!!!
I sm slso going out boating 1st time of the season today!!!!!!
I put an airplane muffler on my boat so it would be quieter and run better. This will give me less power, but will the muffler get too hot?
Alex
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
Alex, not much of an update on the new 'rigger but it is coming along slowly but surely. I clear-coated almost the whole thing. The cowl is going out today to get hydro-printed. I did pick up an engine for it, a Quick-Draw 26cc as it ought to really scoot with that in there. Right now it's just the little stuff that's killing me. I just got home a little while ago from finding the right size brass tubing that I needed for the stuffing tube, 2 out of the 3 hobby shops in town didn't have it in stock and the 3rd one, a Hobbytown USA had one left.
The thing was set up to use a 1/4 scale servo but I think that that's going to change, I just need to do a slight modification in the radio box.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:50 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
Joined Feb 2011
4,548 Posts
Awesome!!! Be sure to get some videos, I can't wait! Do you have a paint scheme in mind?

Alos, does anybody know anything about my post 2 posts up??
Thanks!
Alex
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
It's not really paint but the cowl is dipped into a pattern like carbon fiber or Camo but there are many types to choose from.
This is the guy that's doing it and am going through my nephew's taxidermy shop to have it done as he's sending in some antlers and stuff to have done. http://www.camocreekhydrographics.co...rn-gallery.php
Here is a video of a commercial setup but there are DIY home kits available.
Water Transfer Printing Process (5 min 2 sec)
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
.... But you can call me Dave
Medford, OR
Joined Nov 2010
268 Posts
That is amazing! Thanx for sharing that with us Ron.
DepthsofHell is offline Find More Posts by DepthsofHell
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:42 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
That is cool isn't it! After I started watching video's of the process I thought that it might be something for me to do after retirement which isn't that far off. I brought it up to one brother-in-law who is getting bored with his current business sitting at home runnning laser cutters for my sister's scrapbooking business as he's looking for something more manly to do.
Alex, I'm getting a tie-dye appearing dip done as my old lady was into the tie-dying thing back in its day and a little something to keep her off my case after buying yet another boat. I wanted something to make it more visible on the water, the reason for the design.

Alex, now to your question above.
Nitro and gas are 2 different animals, drag racing for instance is a perfect expample of how they are so different. Nitro is only good mostly on smaller displacement ebgines as by nature, it's a slow-burning fuel as compared to others. Put it in something large like a 26cc motor and it doesn't work as well. Top Fueler's and Funny Cars are pumping it in under the pressure of a supercharger, cramming a lot more into the cylinder.