HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2011, 03:10 PM
Sverige
Joined Dec 2010
16 Posts
I tried to to the clear coat-thing, with bad result.
Since I'm not planning on using the floats, I tried on one first.

No big deal, I can always sand it down and repaint it if I want to use it, but if you plan on spraying the whole plane, try on a small piece first
ralfse is offline Find More Posts by ralfse
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2011, 03:18 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
ralfse: good thing that you did try it out on a small part that you don't need...otherwise the whole plane would just look like its got toad skin lol

Any one thought about putting rudder servos on the tail??? Might do this, just cut below on the opposite side of the elevator servo...
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Apr 08, 2011, 04:26 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfse View Post
I tried to to the clear coat-thing, with bad result.
Since I'm not planning on using the floats, I tried on one first.

No big deal, I can always sand it down and repaint it if I want to use it, but if you plan on spraying the whole plane, try on a small piece first
Oh my! Use Polycrylic it wont eat your plane.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:27 PM
Crimson Swine...
Australia, VIC, Romsey
Joined Jul 2003
230 Posts
Could be silly questions but I'll ask them anyway

1. Will a 28mm diameter Outrunner BL fit inside the cowls? Looks like it from Saucisse's excellent pics.

2. Ditto, is the circumference of the firewall at the front of the nacelle large enough to accommodate an X mount?

Great thread. Keep up the good work. I wish I'd got one of these for as a birthday present instead of the crappy EBay kit! ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357209 )

Cheers and thanks
Mick
mc411800 is offline Find More Posts by mc411800
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:37 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
In the video posted at the beginning of the thread the 370 motors used are 28mm. They seemed to fit very well and they use an X mount, unless Nitroplanes mounted them differently.

Side note: USPS left the "You have a package at the post office" in the mailbox today. Tracking number says it's my CL415. Yay!
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:47 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
My GWS E-starter on Floats, my GWS Islander seaplane and my own design Catalina all used Artists Acrylic Paint from a craft store. None of these models has had any paint problems even though they are only flown fom off water.

I would think that for cheapnes and durability the CL-415 would use one of these acrylics. Being alcahol or water based the do not damage EPS models when applied.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Apr 08, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:15 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
I was fooled! It was a different package. No Cl-415 for me today.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
In the video posted at the beginning of the thread the 370 motors used are 28mm. They seemed to fit very well and they use an X mount, unless Nitroplanes mounted them differently.

Side note: USPS left the "You have a package at the post office" in the mailbox today. Tracking number says it's my CL415. Yay!
She is a dream to fly
I am using the 370s and they fit with the x mount. I mounted the motors to the firewalls fed the wires through the nacelle. I then exopied ( I make many holes with a toothpick to ensure good bond) the firewall to the step inside the nacelle, the motor can then be used to eyeball the alignment. No downthrust or upthrust issues we noted during flight test. Bummer about you false alarm ( package pick up)
Last edited by huntingfield; Apr 09, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Dec 2007
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
ralfse: good thing that you did try it out on a small part that you don't need...otherwise the whole plane would just look like its got toad skin lol

Any one thought about putting rudder servos on the tail??? Might do this, just cut below on the opposite side of the elevator servo...
With hindsight I think the elevator servo should be inside the fuselage, to keep it dry.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:05 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4 Posts
Mine is here tooo. Very nice...

I have to make the decision about the motors - please help ?:

http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...idProduct=2111

or

http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...dProduct=14737

I have both pairs on the stock and I would like to use them with master Airscrew 8x6 3-blade propellers.

Thanks huntingfield for the mounting tips.
titanko is offline Find More Posts by titanko
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:12 AM
Joined Dec 2007
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanko View Post
Mine is here tooo. Very nice...

I have to make the decision about the motors - please help ?:

http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...idProduct=2111

or

I have both pairs on the stock and I would like to use them with master Airscrew 8x6 3-blade propellers.

Thanks huntingfield for the mounting tips.
I would go with this one on two blade 8x6 prop. I think that an 8x6 three blade might draw to many amps, I use 9x3.8 Electrifly 2 blade propeller on mine with great results.

Last edited by huntingfield; Apr 10, 2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:39 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
I do dip my servos in Plastidip so water splashes are not an issue for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
With hindsight I think the elevator servo should be inside the fuselage, to keep it dry.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:10 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
I do dip my servos in Plastidip so water splashes are not an issue for me
What is the shelf life of Plastidip? Itís horribly expensive and I would not use much each time I use it.

Ken
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:11 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
What is the shelf life of Plastidip? Itís horribly expensive and I would not use much each time I use it.

Ken
Mine lasted less than a year once open. They used to make a spray can version of it that lasts a long time, you could try that.

The spray version isn't much different than undercoating in a can, which would also work.

Or brush on electrical tape and a glob of silicon grease around the output shaft.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Mine lasted less than a year once open. They used to make a spray can version of it that lasts a long time, you could try that.

The spray version isn't much different than undercoating in a can, which would also work.

Or brush on electrical tape and a glob of silicon grease around the output shaft.
hpiguy

Thanks for the info. The spray can is available in Australia and it can be otained in yellow colour.

Ken