HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,972 Posts
Thanks Jim.
It seems "just spraying" the ESCs with Cx has not been enough.
The ones I'm installing now have been soaked over night then sealed around the heatsinks and shrinkwrap with heat conductive silicone

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:59 PM
Is Stateside.......
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Thanks Jim.
It seems "just spraying" the ESCs with Cx has not been enough.
The ones I'm installing now have been soaked over night then sealed around the heatsinks and shrinkwrap with heat conductive silicone

Kev
Sounds like a good plan

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:09 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
I put a firewall in mine, however I just glued them to the existing surface. I've only run mine on snow so far, so I don't have any issues with corrosion. I've put my ESCs in the fuselage anyways.

I'm running these motors in mine, I've had very good experience with RC Timer motors, these pull just under 300W together both with the stock props and APC 8X4 SF.

bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:29 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,972 Posts
Nicely done!
I can see how the firewalls would keep out the water.

Have you done enough flights with her though to confirm ESCs in the fus. are not overheating? Do you use heatsinks on them?

Kev
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:50 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Quote:
Have you done enough flights with her though to confirm ESCs in the fus. are not overheating? Do you use heatsinks on them?

Kev
Well, they're 40A ESCs and each motor is pulling only about 15A, plus I've never flown it when it's been warmer than -5C so it really hasn't been a concern yet. I'll let you know in May...
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:59 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Nicely done!
I can see how the firewalls would keep out the water.

Kev
Just so that you understand my motor/ESC setup, I made the chin scoops functional by hollowing them out. I did this to aid in ESC cooling as I felt that the firewall could hinder some airflow through the nacelle. So, it is probably likely that I do, in fact, get some water passing through the nacelles, too, and over the ESCs but since I have treated the ESCs with the CX as described I have had no problems with over 100 flights on the plane, and often in very choppy water, which this plane handles very well. Good luck with yours.

Jim
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:17 AM
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Mar 2012
1,499 Posts
I've cut off the front of the nacelle to make a removable cowling for access to the motors. Works simple and use magnets to hold it on.

I think I'm going to have to put in a firewall to put in X mounted motors too.
Griphin is offline Find More Posts by Griphin
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:20 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier View Post
Just so that you understand my motor/ESC setup, I made the chin scoops functional by hollowing them out. I did this to aid in ESC cooling as I felt that the firewall could hinder some airflow through the nacelle. So, it is probably likely that I do, in fact, get some water passing through the nacelles, too, and over the ESCs but since I have treated the ESCs with the CX as described I have had no problems with over 100 flights on the plane, and often in very choppy water, which this plane handles very well. Good luck with yours.

Jim
Thanks Jim

Kev
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:19 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
I went with the idea from an earlier post of cutting off the front of the nacelle and mounting a firewall. Then glueing the nacelle nose back on. I measured the motor from mount base to back of the prop. Then I added the thickness of the
1/8" ply firewall, and then I added about 1/8" for prop clearance. Turns out that measurement is exactly the same as the top of a Testers spray paint can top in this particular case. I then took my razor saw and held it down flat on the paint can top. The I took the nacelle and held it down nose first to the bench while sawing all the way around holding the saw to the paint can top. The results were perfect. I did mark each pair A's and B's so I don't get them mixed up. Then I hollowed out the nose section of each one. Then I took each nose section and traced the inside on 1/8" ply to make my firewall. I left a section open at the top for the wires. Once again I marked them A and B. This way the nacelle front will sit around the firewall and match up to the rear without making a firewall ply "sandwitch" in between. Now I have to decide if the speed controllers will be in the nacelles or the fuselage.
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:27 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
766 Posts
Finished mine today. Got a coat of minwax on a whole plane and filament tape on bottom of fuse.
I went with esc's in fuse, motors on stick mounts. Cut away more than a half of water rudder.
Had a hard time to get CG in the right spot, until I moved the esc's way forward.

I will maiden her today on snow. Will let you know how it worked.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.6 Competition Pro REF
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:36 PM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
766 Posts
Maiden was good.
I was surprised, how easy it was to taxi on the ground. I was afraid, problem would be with it leaning to one side, but soonest it started moving it leveled of and stayed that way.
It flies slow extremely well and that's big plus.
I am planning on flying it in the summer in the same pond we have sailboat regattas and the place is rather small.
Steering on the ground is good too. It helps I have rudder mixed with throttle and the motors are on separate channels.
With 1600kV cd-rom motors and 6x4 props it has plenty of power, but nothing extreme. I flew two 2200mAh packs for 7 min each.
I only wish it wasn't made from eps.
Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:53 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
Maiden was good.
I was surprised, how easy it was to taxi on the ground.
Rob
congrat i really like the color sheme... nice spinner !

also agree with easy ground handling using differential
throttle...

any video ?

CL415 fpv (0 min 48 sec)
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:10 PM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
766 Posts
Color scheme might be nice, but I bet you didn't see the white one up close.
Awful chalky white paint. Its better now, after a coat of minwax.
No no video. Too cold as it is. (it was 25F)

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:51 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Finished mine today. Got a coat of minwax on a whole plane and filament tape on bottom of fuse.
I went with esc's in fuse, motors on stick mounts. Cut away more than a half of water rudder.
Had a hard time to get CG in the right spot, until I moved the esc's way forward.

I will maiden her today on snow. Will let you know how it worked.

Rob
Wow! What a great finish to her!
A $35 kit that looks a million $$'s

Kev
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:07 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Finished mine today. Got a coat of minwax on a whole plane and filament tape on bottom of fuse.Rob
minwax ? can you gave us a link ?

i was looking for a light clear glase in the past : WellBound... not so good
you may have found something good for us...
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic