SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Video and a few static pics on the pond

Flew it off the pond again today. Finally got some video.

Hobbyking Guanli RC Canadair CL-415 on the pond (5 min 25 sec)
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Last edited by wmcneal; Dec 16, 2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add video
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:58 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,017 Posts
I'm not having any luck with Heads Up RC on the motors or mounts. I was looking for the recommended 2410-12t motors and aluminum mounts. Anywhere else I can look?
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:40 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jeep View Post
I'm not having any luck with Heads Up RC on the motors or mounts. I was looking for the recommended 2410-12t motors and aluminum mounts. Anywhere else I can look?
This mount and motor should be acceptable alternatives if the stock stick mount is used.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=3613

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18546

Both are listed as in stock

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:23 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
This mount and motor should be acceptable alternatives if the stock stick mount is used.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=3613

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18546

Both are listed as in stock

Ken
Ken, about what amp controllers? 20A? Or should I go 30A just in case they get hot? And yes, it looks like both are still in stock! I should get an order in tonight. I wonder if I should get servos now as well? I'll probably get the reciever locally. This 2.4 Spektrum I bought is all new to me. I may need help from my LHS.
Jay

How do you use that adapter on that motor? Does the flat mount come off the motor and the adapter clamp to the back of the motor?
Last edited by flying jeep; Jan 19, 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:34 PM
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined Jun 2011
301 Posts
I am getting ready to order this airplane but will be traveling in a small car. Can anyone give me the dimensions of the shipping carton?
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:45 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I am getting ready to order this airplane but will be traveling in a small car. Can anyone give me the dimensions of the shipping carton?
Mine just showed up in a box 11"x12"x36". And very well packed. Double boxed as well.
Jay
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Mine just showed up in a box 11"x12"x36". And very well packed. Double boxed as well.
Jay
Thanks,

That will be no problem.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
301 Posts
I am all set to order and now I cannot find the orange version, just the red and white. Does anyone have info on this?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:03 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
I went for the red and white , I wanted the yellow too.
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:29 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Ken, about what amp controllers? 20A? Or should I go 30A just in case they get hot? And yes, it looks like both are still in stock! I should get an order in tonight. I wonder if I should get servos now as well? I'll probably get the reciever locally. This 2.4 Spektrum I bought is all new to me. I may need help from my LHS.
Jay

How do you use that adapter on that motor? Does the flat mount come off the motor and the adapter clamp to the back of the motor?
I used the older motors on my CL-415 and a pair of 12 Amp ESCs . If I remember right my motors each drew around 8 amps when fitted with 9 x 5 propellers. I had more than enough power to fly the CL-415.

The round mount is removed and the new mount is slipped over the tube projecting from the rear of the motor and tightened. Th square part of the motor mount is then slipped over the Motor mounting stick and , after adjusting fo the motor lengt a screw is placed trough the mount into the wooden stick.

Ken
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:41 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,017 Posts
Quote:
I used the older motors on my CL-415 and a pair of 12 Amp ESCs . If I remember right my motors each drew around 8 amps when fitted with 9 x 5 propellers. I had more than enough power to fly the CL-415.

The round mount is removed and the new mount is slipped over the tube projecting from the rear of the motor and tightened. Th square part of the motor mount is then slipped over the Motor mounting stick and , after adjusting fo the motor lengt a screw is placed trough the mount into the wooden stick.

Ken
Without looking at the specs again, I thought that motor pulled 14amps. I've never used that type of motor before, but it makes sense to mount it either way depending on the situation and mount.
Jay
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:51 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Without looking at the specs again, I thought that motor pulled 14amps. I've never used that type of motor before, but it makes sense to mount it either way depending on the situation and mount.
Jay
Unfortunately the specs only state the maximum amps that can be drawn before the motor is damaged. They do not state the Amps drawn with a particular propeller and battery pack. Maybe someone has carried out propeller tests using this motor.

Ken
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolwitz View Post
I went for the red and white , I wanted the yellow too.
I won't be able to fly it until spring so I'll wait for a while. Hope it is just out of stock and not discontinued.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:45 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately the specs only state the maximum amps that can be drawn before the motor is damaged. They do not state the Amps drawn with a particular propeller and battery pack. Maybe someone has carried out propeller tests using this motor.

Ken
I bit the bullet last night and ordered the motors and 20amp controllers as well as servos and props. Now all I have to do is wait for the China Express to show up and deliver my parts!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:08 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:

Ken
I have just purchase the following items for testing. I want to know if this motor is suitable for replacing my current motors that are no longer available.If they are then I will buy several for spares.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18546

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2161

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3613 This ESC has a burst current of 15 Amps.

The items will take about two weeks to arrive at my home and once i test them I will post the results.

The wet season has arrived and the local billabongs (ponds) are quickly filling with water, so I do not want any delays during the limited time of our wet season.

Ken