Now that's really cool! Nicely done!
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:42 AM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Very cool! Can't wait to see that in person Steve.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,017 Posts
I've wanted to build a CL for years. I even have some plans for a glow version I was going to convert to electric, but it was too overbuilt. When I saw this at HobbyKing I was all over it until I saw what they wanted for freight. I see the US is out of stock now too. Overall, how is the build? And how is the take-off from water for those that have tried?
Thanks,
Jay
flying jeep is online now Find More Posts by flying jeep
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:26 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
water drop video

The build is very easy. Just glue the parts together and install your electronics. The plane flies as easily from water as it does from grass.

Here's a video I made today of my friend Steve's taking off grass and dropping water on the runway. See post 1095 for pictures of the water tank mod. (This video was made from my iPad which has no zoom)

The Guanli Canadair CL-415 superscooper water bomber (3 min 53 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:08 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
687 Posts
New to the forum, and I hope to make some contributions - but - I need to find where to buy the kit so that I can begin. HobbyKing is out of stock for who knows how long. Any other suppliers?

Love the looks of this bird, and hopefully I can find the kit so I dont have to go with the PBY, even tho it looks nice too... Thanks!

Michael
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcneal View Post
The build is very easy. Just glue the parts together and install your electronics. The plane flies as easily from water as it does from grass.

Here's a video I made today of my friend Steve's taking off grass and dropping water on the runway. See post 1095 for pictures of the water tank mod. (This video was made from my iPad which has no zoom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkojptitPO4
Great video and mod. Did you coat the bottom with tape or anything to protect it?
BigD1961 is offline Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Update
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:57 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87 View Post
New to the forum, and I hope to make some contributions - but - I need to find where to buy the kit so that I can begin. HobbyKing is out of stock for who knows how long. Any other suppliers?

Love the looks of this bird, and hopefully I can find the kit so I dont have to go with the PBY, even tho it looks nice too... Thanks!

Michael
I have seen an ad in one of the RC plane magazines, sorry I cant remember which. It wasn't for Hobby King, but looked like the exact same plane, only this one included the motors and ESCs. I suggest looking in the mags to find it, or do an online search (would probably be a lot faster).
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:00 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD1961 View Post
I have seen an ad in one of the RC plane magazines, sorry I cant remember which. It wasn't for Hobby King, but looked like the exact same plane, only this one included the motors and ESCs. I suggest looking in the mags to find it, or do an online search (would probably be a lot faster).
http://www.kmp.ca/index.php?cPath=35
Here is the other plane I was referring to. Good luck.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:01 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
446 Posts
Quote:
Looks like it has the motors and props, but not the ESCs.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by BigD1961; Dec 02, 2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:44 PM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
687 Posts
Quote:
Looks like it has the motors and props, but not the ESCs.
Looks like it lists that its not included, then that it is in the description.... In any case, it's far from the HK price point.

I've done the internet search already and have not come up with anything. There are fiberglass models that are much larger, and also much more costly.

Just didnt know if anyone else is selling a similarly priced kit.
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:37 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2006
183 Posts
Bottom Protection

I put clear packing tape on the bottom of the hull and floats. I have about 20 flights off of dry grass so far and the tape has some marks on it but is not wearing through yet.
bettsmums is offline Find More Posts by bettsmums
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Built Water Drop System

Hi everybody,

due I get on "wattflyer" not so much reply - and for adding here a bit more to the widely discssed basics - here is my water dropper:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...d=1#post891043

inthrustwetrust is offline Find More Posts by inthrustwetrust
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Donuts Anyone??

If you were ever wondering how this plane does on snow or with differential thrust......

Hobbyking 52" Canadair CL-415 Winter Flying (5 min 33 sec)
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Last edited by KTL13; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:39 PM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
802 Posts
nice flight ktl

donuts were fun to do with mine right till i decided to play with the small tree out in the middle of our field, i was on purpose trying to fly low and around it and finally got to cocky and smucked it a couple of weeks ago.

if you want something else thats a riot to do that mine did great, is to go up into a stall turn and punch full trottle at the top and down elevator. it tumbles like crazy, you can take it one step further and ad rudder and ail as needed and flat spin it inverted or knife spin it. might be really fun with differential thrust.
furballll is online now Find More Posts by furballll
Last edited by furballll; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
I had an aileron servo fail on mine while in flight and push the left aileron full up and stick there. I compensated with full right aileron and was still able to do a nice landing on the water just using rudder and elevator. The servo may have gotten wet or just been a bad one from the start. Anyway, I have replaced it and the plane is ready to go again. I love this plane!