HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:04 PM
FPV Crash Test Dummy
United States, AR, Sparkman
Joined Aug 2012
237 Posts
What motor did you use? I'm a little confused about the bearing tube size of my motors. It measures 9mm, but all the stick mounts I can find with the smaller offset are designated as being for either 8mm, 10mm, or 11mm tubes.

I'll buy different motors if I have to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
The mount I used is this one. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=3613

The round mount is removed from your motor and the new mount is slipped over the tube projecting from the rear.Then the pinch bolt is tightened. Two screws are put into the side of the square part of the mount lock the mount onto the stick.This mount has the correct offset.

Ken
vewdew1 is offline Find More Posts by vewdew1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:44 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vewdew1 View Post
What motor did you use? I'm a little confused about the bearing tube size of my motors. It measures 9mm, but all the stick mounts I can find with the smaller offset are designated as being for either 8mm, 10mm, or 11mm tubes.

I'll buy different motors if I have to...
It appears that the motor I used the TURNIGY Bell TR2410-12Y 1000kv Outrunner is no longer available. The closest available match is the Turnigy DST-1200 Brushless Bell Motor 1200kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1200kv.html I do not know the tube size of this motor.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:04 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
762 Posts
i am not sure why everyone is concerned about stick size and mouning the motor on the supplied mounting system..... plain and simple dont use it pitch it out. get a hole saw the same size as the opening in the nacel and glue a 1/8 peice of light ply to the two flat areas in the nacel and bolt your motor with the stock mount that comes with the motor. i did that on mine it works perfect. one tip though is to make sure you mount your mounts to the ply in a way that your two set screws are level so when you have to pull the motor off for some unknown reason the set screws are easy to get too and another thing is to put a flat side on the ply piece to run your wires past to the speed controller.

btw anyone have a battery hatch kicking around, mine blew off while doing some full throttle full down elevator 3d tumbles. very fun to do but when the hatch goes threw the two props the confetti that results is hard to repair.
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:46 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,101 Posts
Hi furballl
You don't say what it is that you don't like about the stick system

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:54 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlilfan View Post
Finally was able to get this bird airborne! It took several tries. She still seems a little nose heavy in the water, however in flight seems to be well balanced.

Even on the maiden I had several attempts trying to get a decent takeoff run. The water rudder only seemed to work half the time. I'm not sure if there was some underlying current that was negating the rudder?

Here is the maiden flight:

http://youtu.be/sl4-DGK-UC8
Interesting video. Yeah, rudder is hopeless as you will read here.
Go for throttle differential, (see here) otherwise you may not be able to steer it back to you.
BTW tell the missus to zoom in more slowly so she can get a chance to hold the model in frame first, & then don't go in too close as it is almost impossible to hold it.
Kev
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:15 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
The main problem with the stick mount system is that suitable motors for stick mounting are becoming hard to obtain.

Ken
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:20 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,101 Posts
Is that all Ken?

Kev
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:29 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Definitely yes. I have a number of models with stick mounts including my CL-415 and all have been successful. But I doubt that I will build any more because the range of available motors has become so small.

Ken
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:41 AM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
762 Posts
yes finding mounts and motors that take stick mounts is the biggest reason, but secondly most of the photos i have seen of the plane with stick mounts look weird. the motor usually gets placed out in front and higher due to the offset in most mounts.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
BTW tell the missus to zoom in more slowly so she can get a chance to hold the model in frame first, & then don't go in too close as it is almost impossible to hold it.
Kev
Oh, I know! I'm lucky she even films for me occasionally. She says it makes her too dizzy. Most of the time she wont go to the club, so I'm solo.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlilfan View Post
Finally was able to get this bird airborne! It took several tries. She still seems a little nose heavy in the water, however in flight seems to be well balanced.

Even on the maiden I had several attempts trying to get a decent takeoff run. The water rudder only seemed to work half the time. I'm not sure if there was some underlying current that was negating the rudder?

Here is the maiden flight:

http://youtu.be/sl4-DGK-UC8
Ditch the water rudder its next to useless, you then need to give it some power to get the air rudder active, then concentrate on keeping the wings level and the tip floats off the water as once they dig in no amount of water or air rudder will correct it, this isn't as big a problem on this bird than on say a Dynam Catalina but if you keep the wings level with aileron and steer with rudder you can steer quite well, also remember it has a big rudder so will weathercock into wind on its own so try not to fight it too much. Keep the speed up for rudder control you will be fine.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:35 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Kev
Mmmmm. I don't mean to be rude but have you ever tried telling a wife how to film? It doesn't flipping work with mine! ;-)

Col.
WalneyCol is online now Find More Posts by WalneyCol
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:07 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalneyCol View Post
Mmmmm. I don't mean to be rude but have you ever tried telling a wife how to film? It doesn't flipping work with mine! ;-)

Col.
Ah yes. But I'm a retired video producer. She HAS to listen on that.
Not much else though I must say

Kev
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Apr 2010
24 Posts
I've just received my Canadair but haven't yet started the build. I want the whole thing clear in my head before I start glueing. As I will be mostly flying from a field I'm wondering if the wing floats will stand up to the landings as my skill level can't guarantee a flat and level landing. Any ideas on making them removable? One thought is to have the floats removable and the wooden float legs fixed and fit wheels to them for land based flying.
I do want to take off from water but will have to travel to find a suitable lake.
Crowstooth is offline Find More Posts by Crowstooth
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:08 PM
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
762 Posts
no need for wheels if your flying off grass, if your going to be on gravel runways then you might need to improvize some wheels at the step of the fuse. i fly mine off grass all the time you dont even really need to put the wing tip floats on but it looks better. as for making them removable you can for some blocks the shape fo the bottom of the wing and put velcro on there its plenty stong, mayby cut down the part that goes into the wing abit but keep some of it as a centering guide.

on the bottom of my hull i put a couple of layers of glass cloth right along the bottome with some foam safe ca just to make it a bit more duarable for when it hits the dirt areas.

as for how mine flies, i usually have to keep a bit of throttle on to keep it from slowing down too much and littterally falling out of the sky, it slows so much that it will fly till there is no lift left and then falls out of the sky.