HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:05 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
I have the 370 motors also. I made a plywood firewall for each nacelle and epoxied them in place. I then srewed the motors to them.
There was no chance at all of using a stick mount for the motor?
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2011, 01:48 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,367 Posts
hpiguy, I received my motors and props yesterday as well and I am also very impressed with the quality of the 370 motors. I havent ordered the Cl-415 yet, so Im goint to test them out on my PBY Catalina first and see how they work.

Im sure ill be ordering the 415 soon though!
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:16 PM
Sverige
Joined Dec 2010
16 Posts

All images available on my blog http://ralfswe.blogspot.com/2011/04/...0mm-first.html

First assembly done. I used the supplied glue, it was quite fast curing. Look at picture 3, this is how they want you to mount the ESC. This looks like crap, and I wanted to use longer wires for the motor, and started mouting wires as in picture 4, then realized I wanted yellow wires (if the wires are going on the outside of the wing, at least I want them yellow). I did not have any yellow wires, so I will have to wait with this moment. How are you guys mounting your ESC/motors?
I then glued the wing as in picture 5, and then I called it a night. Hope you like the pictures
ralfse is offline Find More Posts by ralfse
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:01 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
600 Posts
I mounted my motors on plywood firewalls. I then made extention wires for each motor, cut channels in the wing from nacelles to fuselage. I mounted the speed contols in the fuselage. I thought about mounting the speed controls in the nacelles, but that would involve cutting them up. When I get done with the construction phase I am going to give the whole plane a coat of polycrylic. This will make the surface a bit tougher and will seal the decals ( which apper to be waterslide type ).
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:31 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
I mounted my motors on plywood firewalls. I then made extention wires for each motor, cut channels in the wing from nacelles to fuselage. I mounted the speed contols in the fuselage. I thought about mounting the speed controls in the nacelles, but that would involve cutting them up. When I get done with the construction phase I am going to give the whole plane a coat of polycrylic. This will make the surface a bit tougher and will seal the decals ( which apper to be waterslide type ).
What brand/type of polycrylic coating do you use? I have never tried this... do you give it just one coat?

Still waiting for mine, actually it hasn't even left Hong Kong yet and I ordered it over a week ago.

Date # Location Delivery Status
31-Mar-2011 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed.
6-Apr-2011 Hong Kong Processed for departure.
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:09 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
What brand/type of polycrylic coating do you use? I have never tried this... do you give it just one coat?

Still waiting for mine, actually it hasn't even left Hong Kong yet and I ordered it over a week ago.

Hong Kong Post has had a huge backlog of registered articules since Chinese New Year. Hobby king seems to have caught up with their backlog from Chinese New Year.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Apr 06, 2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 08:11 AM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Yup, mine was ordered even before yours and it's still sitting in the port waiting to go somewhere.

I'm sure it will get here eventually. Let's hope it's in good shape when it does.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:18 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Yup, mine was ordered even before yours and it's still sitting in the port waiting to go somewhere.

I'm sure it will get here eventually. Let's hope it's in good shape when it does.
This week I have recieved a SE-5a and a Decatalon from Hobby King.

Both Kits were double boxed and had extra bubble wrap in the box to prevent the parts from moving arround during postage. As a result neither kit had any damage from shipping.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Apr 06, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:20 AM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Thanks, your experience and Rafe's give me hope that it will arrive fine.

This is the first plane I've gotten from them. All my parts orders have gone well though.

HK post now says my parcel is ready for departure, so I'm sure it won't be more than a couple weeks out at this point.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:42 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post

I used Minwax brand polycrylic. I give the whole plane a coat and then an additional application or two on the hull bottom.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:36 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,847 Posts
Hi

I love these and order 2 the first arrived today very nice ,I'm
impressed , I want to build one as a C-215 piston version and
one as a C-415 tubro version.
It would be easy to add landing gear (removable) or retracts

I'm in the middle of a build ( US Airways 737) but I'm temped
to build ne of these first - the lake is unfrozen and look's very
tempting out the window.
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Apr 08, 2011, 07:35 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Finally received mine!

First impression: This plane is cool even if it's made of EPS !!!

Packaging: Really well done, double box, came in with no dent/scratch or what so ever...all parts are packed properly with some foamy packaging material:

All parts laid out on the table, looked at the instructions manual and all parts seems to be accounted for:

A good point for the manual, which is in ''good'' English. Just skimmed through it fast and the instructions seems to be well done. Good point that the CG is clearly shown which often lack from ''made in China'' foamies.

Did a dry fit of the plane, there are some minors fitting issues which will require some easy fix:

This might be a good place to fit the FPV cam, cut and fit with the black cone thing.

There is lots of room inside the fuse to fit all the electronics/ FPV gear:

Inside the fuse facing towards the nose:

...facing towards the tail:

Really look forward to start building this plane, all in all for $38 USD + shipping this is a quite interesting plane.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Last edited by saucisse; Apr 08, 2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:25 PM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Wrong stick motor mount suggestion by Hobbyking...

Well looks like they screwed up on the stick motor mount suggestion:

On the left it shows how we should usually use this mount (which is not suitable for this plane) and on the right the solution to be able to use this mount with this plane:

Both stick mount inserted in the cowlings:

How it looks with the prop installed; I don't want to have the motor completely in the cowling otherwise I won't be able to access the screw to remove the motor form its mount:

Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:26 PM
Sverige
Joined Dec 2010
16 Posts
saucisse: Switch place on the two "fins" on the horizontal stab, and they will (almost) fit! (picture 10,11) I also mounted them the wrong way first, until I realized they should be switched.
ralfse is offline Find More Posts by ralfse
Old Apr 08, 2011, 02:18 PM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
ahhah thanks, I was about to post that I did dry fit them wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfse View Post
saucisse: Switch place on the two "fins" on the horizontal stab, and they will (almost) fit! (picture 10,11) I also mounted them the wrong way first, until I realized they should be switched.