HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:09 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
With 40 + HXT500 and HXT900 servos installed and in use over a period of at least 5 years I have only had two failures. One was a damaged gearbox caused by a crash and the other was a burnt out electronics caused by a BEC failing and dumping the full 2 cell 7.4 Volts onto the servo. Neither of these failures was the fault of the servo.

The HXT900 are even waterproof. This was as proven by my 5 minute total immersion test in an earlier post on this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=327

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jul 23, 2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: add link
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:43 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,972 Posts
Hey gg. What lights are you using on the 415?

I have just ordered these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8850

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:53 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
With 40 + HXT500 and HXT900 servos installed and in use over a period of at least 5 years I have only had two failures. One was a damaged gearbox caused by a crash and the other was a burnt out electronics caused by a BEC failing and dumping the full 2 cell 7.4 Volts onto the servo. Neither of these failures was the fault of the servo.

The HXT900 are even waterproof. This was as proven by my 5 minute total immersion test in an earlier post on this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=327

Ken
Hmm. An interesting test, but don't forget depth of water makes a big difference.

I would be surprised if the servo was at the bottom of just an ordinary bucket of water it would still be waterproof. I have done this with so-called waterproof containers but they didn't pass the bucket test and of course if a 415 sinks it could be at an even greater depth.

The sure answer is to CorrosionX ALL electronics.

Now available in Oz http://www.defendertuning.com.au/cor...penetrant.html

Kev
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:32 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
I would be surprised if the servo was at the bottom of just an ordinary bucket of water it would still be waterproof. I have done this with so-called waterproof containers but they didn't pass the bucket test and of course if a 415 sinks it could be at an even greater depth.
A good point...except that this is a foam plane. Even if the hull was completely filled with water you could not sink it

Realistically, all you need is for your electronics to be water resistant. As long as the servos are protected from spray, they should work fine. If you have completely submerged it, then you probably have other damage that will make the loss of a $5 servo not really such a big deal.
fly time is offline Find More Posts by fly time
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly time View Post
A good point...except that this is a foam plane. Even if the hull was completely filled with water you could not sink it

Realistically, all you need is for your electronics to be water resistant. As long as the servos are protected from spray, they should work fine. If you have completely submerged it, then you probably have other damage that will make the loss of a $5 servo not really such a big deal.
Yes, but maybe not the 415, but I have had an EZ glider Pro crash into a swamp & the motor had enough weight to keep the nose down low enough so by the time I found it the water had ruined all the electronics.
With CorrosionX it will save your electronics even though the plane didn't wash up on shore until 2 weeks later

Kev
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Has anyone tried the Hitec waterproof servos on the tail? Also, is the spray really bad on the tail servos? I concerned about putting a good quality servo on the elevator but there really is no way to put it in the fuse with a ling push-rod...

Any ingenious way of attaching the canopy/cockpit, magnets, hatch clips, build wood frame, etc?

I saw someone used 2 pilots , it looked great. Remember what scale they were?

Thanks
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:17 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk View Post
Any ingenious way of attaching the canopy/cockpit, magnets, hatch clips, build wood frame, etc?
Thanks
The canopy already has a tab at the front and a magnet at the rear.

I added two more magnets at the rear on either side to give a more positive lock. As well I placed a layer of petroleum jelly on each side of the mating faces to improve the sealing. A bit messy but it works.

Ken
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:02 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,972 Posts
I applied some soft rubber window sealer in self adhesive strips (from hardware stores) around the cockpit Fuselage side) & the fuse wing saddle.

Looks OK & it should povide reasonable protection & was easy & cheap to do

Kev
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Oct 2008
18 Posts
Video of my canadair.

Hello, my last video of my canadair and the serial one of my friend, enjoy:

CANADAIR HK (7 min 12 sec)
llamareto is offline Find More Posts by llamareto
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamareto View Post
Hello, my last video of my canadair and the serial one of my friend, enjoy:
Nice flying, great location, excellent video!
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:14 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
llamareto

I enjoyed your video. Very nice and smooth scale type flying.

I particularly watched the take off and landing to observe how much spray came off the hull. I was very surprised to see how little spray was generated and the fact that none of the spray came anywhere near the exposed elevator servo.

Ken
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Did anyone use the glue the kit comes with to assemble it? I'm about to put it together but wondering maybe if I should get some 30 min epoxy instead.
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
755 Posts
Finally was able to get this bird airborne! It took several tries. She still seems a little nose heavy in the water, however in flight seems to be well balanced.

Even on the maiden I had several attempts trying to get a decent takeoff run. The water rudder only seemed to work half the time. I'm not sure if there was some underlying current that was negating the rudder?

Here is the maiden flight:

RC CL-415 maiden flight (4 min 52 sec)
jdlilfan is online now Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:20 PM
FPV Crash Test Dummy
United States, AR, Sparkman
Joined Aug 2012
230 Posts
Motor Mount

Howdy,

Hoping one of you guys can get me pointed in the right direction. I'm fairly new to planes in general, and this is the first one that's had a stick mount for the motors. I have these motors, as suggested by HK when I placed the order:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18544

I ordered these mounts, but the offset betweent he stick centerline and the motor centerline appears to be too large, so I'm not sure what I need:

http://www.millenniumrc.com/MotorMount.html

Can one of you fine gents point me to the correct mount to use with my motors on this plane (preferably from somewhere in the U.S.)?

Thanks in advance.
vewdew1 is offline Find More Posts by vewdew1
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:49 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
The mount I used is this one. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=3613

The round mount is removed from your motor and the new mount is slipped over the tube projecting from the rear.Then the pinch bolt is tightened. Two screws are put into the side of the square part of the mount lock the mount onto the stick.This mount has the correct offset.

Ken