SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
I had to replace my motors with some outrunners I had lying around. However, if I want to stay with the same motors, I need a high pitch prop.

What motors are people using that fit the stick mounts?

These worked great: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

But, they are out of stock.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
CL-415 prop comparison (...and a slight problem)

Hi all together,

I am new here, building up my first twin-drive (HK CL-415), got me lots of good idea from you - thanks! So giving something back. Made attached tests - liked it more practical than calculating theories...

Only problem left: The two - theoretically "equal" motors (Hobbykin NTM 28-26 1350kv - which HK says are "high quality"...) run with 400revs difference, at any throttle position - and even if measured while tested with the same ESC.

Will use a spektrum dx8 & differential thrust - hope i can trim motors than to same revs... do you think this works?

cherio - inthrustwetrust
inthrustwetrust is offline Find More Posts by inthrustwetrust
Old May 13, 2012, 07:29 AM
Gotta be scale!
United States, MI, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2005
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3mw View Post
I had to replace my motors with some outrunners I had lying around. However, if I want to stay with the same motors, I need a high pitch prop.

What motors are people using that fit the stick mounts?

These worked great: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

But, they are out of stock.
I've been doing a lot of reading and relying on a friend who's a electric guy, (i'm a four-stroke guy) and he and I are looking at using these motors. Good torque to get this big bulky plane up on step and into the air, then power back. Also, these motors are only 26mm length wise and should fit nicely into the nacelle.

Thoughts guys???

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname=
mimoore is offline Find More Posts by mimoore
Old May 13, 2012, 11:04 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,741 Posts
Take a look at my posts starting with page 38. I did a fair amount of mods to the airplane and the setup that I used, (disregard the discussions on adding caps to the motor leads. I use them on larger airplanes but it wasn't worth the weight on this one and I haven't had any problems with the CL-415 thus far). The end result was a good looking plane that has flown great in all kinds of flying condtions and will soon be going into its second year without a scratch. It has become a favorite of mine. The setup that I used is worth considering if you are still looking for something that works.
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old May 15, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthrustwetrust View Post

Only problem left: The two - theoretically "equal" motors (Hobbykin NTM 28-26 1350kv - which HK says are "high quality"...) run with 400revs difference, at any throttle position - and even if measured while tested with the same ESC.

Will use a spektrum dx8 & differential thrust - hope i can trim motors than to same revs... do you think this works?
FYI: Turned out one of the "quality checked " Hobbyking NTM 28-26 1300kv motors misses one wind...from the beginning. Will not send back to China - far to expansive, so it`s wasted money....
Got me today EMAX GF2210/30 1200kv motors at my dealer, we checked them in the store -> both totally equal. Will do new prop test -> GWS vs Master Airscrews.
Anyway - advantage of the EMAX is the backside mounting - means don`t need my motor casing anymore. Will mount motor holder on round plywood plate with original woodstick behind. Allen screw for the motors fixing be serviced from top via tiny whole, so motors be changed easy.

cherio inthrustwetrust
Old May 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
GoPro and CL415

Hi Guys

I mounted a GoPro on the wing at CofG last Sunday and went for a flight. It was a little tender to fly as the plane's balance point was much higher, but she flew pretty well.

Here is the video:

Flight of the CL415 (4 min 0 sec)

Mike
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old May 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
He Mike - very cool ...I WANT TOO!
Old May 16, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
CL-415 differential thrust plus watertaxi mode programming on DX8 Spektrum

Here is how i did it - by 4 mixes:

1. Receiver plugging: Motor R -> Throt / motor L -> Ax1
2. Do NOT use "dual aileron" -> use "normal" wing config

Mix1: Ax1 -> Ax1 (mixing out the axi / flap switch)
Rate: -100% / -100%
Offset: -100%
Trim -> inh
Sw -> on

Mix2: Thr -> Ax1
Rate: +100% / -100%
Offset: -100%
Trim -> act (you can trim L-motor by "subtrim menue" to equal rev as R-motor)
Sw -> on

Mix3: Rud -> Thr
Rate: +25% / 0%
Offset: 0%
Trim -> inh
Sw -> FM1 *

Mix4: Rud -> Ax1
Rate: 0% / -25%
Offset: 0%
Trim -> inh
Sw -> FM1 *

* flightmode 1 => for water taxiing motors run up to 25% at 100% rudder
** flightmod "0" => both motors run "coupled"

(Rates + and - in mix 3 & 4 depend on your rudder servo direction)

Tipss from other forums - as I executed it:

1.Tipp: Put 60% Exp on rudder.
2.Tipp: For better seakeeping in small waves, shorten the struts of the swimmers and "angle them up" -> measured below wing to downside of swimmer, at swimmer step = 90mm / at frontside of strut = approx. 80mm (= approx. 10).
3. Tipp: Glas the botom sides with 48g/m2 glasfiber rowing by using parquet & wood stairs poliurethane laquer (get it in your local DIY market), this is much easier and cheaper than epoxy.

...taxi in fm1 to your take off position, switch to fm0 - and have straight fun.

cherio inthrustwetrust
Last edited by inthrustwetrust; May 16, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
CL-415 Mix aileron -> rudder. What values do you use ?

cherio inthrustwetrust
Old May 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,997 Posts
Quote:
Well, the good news is that I changed over to a HobbyKing Orange TFR8-S receiver and that works great as it has failsafe on all channels.

This is going to be my new favourite receiver.
Just for information, that Orange receiver is made by FrSky and has an excellent reputation. It's also available with an FrSky label.

I plan to use the FrSky V8R7 receiver in my CL-415. It has the same all-channel failsafe as the FASST-compatible receivers. The transmitter will be a FlySky 9x with ER9x firmware and FrSky DJT module. The ER9x will allow sophisticated differential motor programming and the receiver will ensure that both ESCs go to zero in case of failsafe.

A very good source of FrSky in the USA is:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ompatible.html
Good prices and much faster than HK. I see stock is low right now, but he gets stuff in regularly. Very helpful guy.

Looking forward to the CL-415 as a nice change from my fleet of Polaris/AquaCat variants.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,997 Posts
A question about wing joining

I've read through the thread with great interest and see various discussions of adding CF reinforcing or beefing up the wing strut attachments.

What's not entirely clear is whether the model as designed is intended to have the wing in two halves with just the attachment bolts and wing struts holding things together (that should work OK as long as you don't go inverted!).

Right now I'm inclining towards a one-piece wing with CF reinforcement.

I will mount the ESCs in the fuselage. Incidentally, extensive experience with Polaris and related models (mine and others) shows that 18-24" motor wire extensions pose no problem whatsoever. Moreover, the wire only needs to be 16 or 18g (18g speaker wire works well). The battery leads need to be kept reasonably short and be heavier wire. This is for a motor that draws 20-25A at WOT, so should be conservative for the CL-415 motors.

Really looking forward to it.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
I've been flying mine for a year without the struts or additional CF spars with zero issues. It's more than strong enough.

Russ Farris
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old May 20, 2012, 10:31 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys, I mounted a GoPro on the wing at CofG
Here is the video:Mike
nice video to avoid water on my key chain lens i always ask a volonteer to hand launch my CL... hand lauch is pretty easy
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old May 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
309 Posts
Very happy to report a fantastic maiden experience today with perfect wheather (30 degrees celcius, sunny and calm winds), this plane is a joy to fly. The combo I'm using responded very good, not a powerhouse but plenty enough to take off and fly scale. In my 10 years in this hobby, this was the most satisfying maiden experience.

Some of you may be interested as these things often happen by accident - When I assembled my wings I decided to put weight on the center while the epoxy was curing, to bend them downward, creating a resistance to compensate for the absence of struts. The end result seem to be very good, the wing floats being always close to the water the take off went very smoothly and she flew straight and stable, some people told me it looked like the real CL 415!
lthibault is offline Find More Posts by lthibault
Old May 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthibault View Post
Very happy to report a fantastic maiden experience today ,some people told me it looked like the real CL 415!
agree !... this plane really float & fly well with scale look

video please
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic