Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:41 PM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Can anyone give me the pros and cons for mixing ......
rudder/ailerons
rudder/throttle?

As I see it, if I should mix rudder/ailerons, I can organise better turns, always banking when turning. Then I would use the left hand solely for throttle, the right for turns and elevation.

If I mix rudder/throttle, I can, at low speed control the direction (for various reasons I have discarded the water rudder), with or without banking. My left hand would then be employed with throttle AND ailerons.

As a beginner, I would imagine the first variant is simpler.
What say?
Bo43 is offline Find More Posts by Bo43
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo43 View Post
Can anyone give me the pros and cons for mixing ......
rudder/ailerons
rudder/throttle?

As I see it, if I should mix rudder/ailerons, I can organise better turns, always banking when turning. Then I would use the left hand solely for throttle, the right for turns and elevation.

If I mix rudder/throttle, I can, at low speed control the direction (for various reasons I have discarded the water rudder), with or without banking. My left hand would then be employed with throttle AND ailerons.

As a beginner, I would imagine the first variant is simpler.
What say?
The plane doesn’t NEED either however the rudder aileron mix will, if done correctly produce nice coordinated turns, just like a real plane. Some would say that it is better to learn how to do this yourself. The second mix, rudder to throttle is for water/ground handling and will make her better at low speed on the water however it is not recommended to have this mix active in flight as the dynamics of the plane running on one motor faster than the other can be unpredictable at best and catastrophic at worst. As a beginner then the first mix will help you look good in the air and the second will help you on the water. The water rudder is next to useless on most of these planes, on my Catalina I never fitted it and have had no problems in nearly 200 flights. The throttle mix is also very complicated to program and only higher end radios will be able to do it. The aileron rudder mix often called CAR (Coupled Aileron Rudder) is often preset or listed in the instructions of most programable radios

So I would stick to the CAR mix until you have got the hang of the plane before getting too complicated. there is an old saying K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid, I often apply this to my wacky ideas and change the whole plan.........lol

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Thanks, very valuable, and I think for the beginning, I will use the CAR version.
I am slowly getting the plane ready, the main wing is now joined together, and I will probably countersink a wooden strip to cross both wing portions to strengthen the join. The livery I designed from photos of planes of the French Securité Civile (specifically No. 32), and I then sent these to CallieGraphics, who made an excellent job of them.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
.... forgot to mention: in the photo attached, the wings are NOT yet joined
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:08 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
4-bladed Prop for CL-415

I have searched the web for the above (for CL-415, see photo), without success. As I understand it, generally speaking, blade length of a 4-blade prop should be about 87% the blade length of a 2-blade prop (?). Therefore, I need a prop with total blade length of 7". Anyone know of a supplier?
Last edited by Bo43; Mar 26, 2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Wrong photo
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
I have searched the web for the above (for CL-415, see photo), without success. As I understand it, generally speaking, blade length of a 4-blade prop should be about 87% the blade length of a 2-blade prop (?). Therefore, I need a prop with total blade length of 7". Anyone know of a supplier?
--> airliners.net F-ZBFS is no 32

and

--> www.ramoser.de Varioprops size 6A, if you look for L & R you can only choose between 8.2'' and 5.8''. Warning: One 4blade prop will be more expensive than the rest of the airplane....
8.2'' fits well on the HK Canadair

Cheers
Rainer
FleaFlyFloh is offline Find More Posts by FleaFlyFloh
Last edited by FleaFlyFloh; Mar 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:12 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleaFlyFloh View Post
--> airliners.net F-ZBFS is no 32

and

--> www.ramoser.de Varioprops size 6A, if you look for L & R you can only choose between 8.2'' and 5.8''. Warning: One 4blade prop will be more expensive than the rest of the airplane....
8.2'' fits well on the HK Canadair

Cheers
Rainer
Thanks, Rainer,
Is it correct - I need the Hub, the Spinner and the 4 blade, all 2 times, thus a total of about 60 Euros WITHOUT postage?
Bob
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:38 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Rainer,
Is it correct - I need the Hub, the Spinner and the 4 blade, all 2 times, thus a total of about 60 Euros WITHOUT postage?
Bob
Yep, correct (the Spinners are optional). I warned you, but in my oppinion the props are worth the money. One good point, if you break a blade you just replace one blade for a few bucks (Buy some more...it's the cheapest part of the prop at least). And it's a nice prop where you can adjust pitch, very good blade design. Keep in mind it's much more difficult to design a blad that works well for a pitch range (4'' to 6.4'') than for a fixed pitch prop. And like with sound systems where the most important part, the loudspeakers never get enough attention (investment in quality), it's with props: Most important part if you look at efficiency of the power system but often not worth an investment. People spend money on heavy and strong engines but put cheap props on them.... sometimes....

Rainer
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Thanks, Rainer. At present my finances say "I am sure you are right, but I will wait before spending that amount". I have found a Graupner 4 blade 6x3, and will first try it out.
Greetings,
Bob
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Graupner 4 blade 6x3
Moin' Bob

Good choice for the L2205-1350.
Enjoy
Rainer
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:31 AM
wheeler hts nsw australia
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
need help

Thought i would post my problem here.Went to maiden today with no luck. ok i have dx7 and programed to mix rudder and throttle 2x turnigy plush 30 amp esc .Before going to the lake everthing tested fine motors had differental thrust everthing perfect.But now it seems i cant even get these esc to work on there own i just get a constant beeping and it is on both esc,s.I must be doing something wrong as i have another esc 12 amp which does the same thing after i played around with it when working on a twin motor differental setup.I feel as if i have mucked up the throttle settings somehow and can not get them working again ,can anybody shed some light .
yendor is offline Find More Posts by yendor
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:19 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Hi, in my opinion your beeping esc's means that your RX has no radio signal.

Have had this issue with different waterplanes when sitting i the water on 2,4GHZ more often with twins, can't really explain why but displacing the RX helped in my case.

Ordered/Paid this Airframe march 1st from HK, having gotten nothing yet I went to check the tracking left Hobbyking march 27th
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:16 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yendor View Post
,can anybody shed some light .
if your servo move, it mean RX is binding then the low throttle
setting may not be low enough and ESC wont arm... waiting a low throttle
stick position before arming.... try to tweak the TH mixing or throttle min adjustement
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:16 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yendor View Post
Thought i would post my problem here.Went to maiden today with no luck. ok i have dx7 and programed to mix rudder and throttle 2x turnigy plush 30 amp esc .Before going to the lake everthing tested fine motors had differental thrust everthing perfect.But now it seems i cant even get these esc to work on there own i just get a constant beeping and it is on both esc,s.I must be doing something wrong as i have another esc 12 amp which does the same thing after i played around with it when working on a twin motor differental setup.I feel as if i have mucked up the throttle settings somehow and can not get them working again ,can anybody shed some light .
Make sure the throttle stick is all way down and the trim is set at full down, thats just a quick check thing that sometimes catches me out. In setting up complex mixes sometimes the trim is changed in the mix. Did you set the mix so you could turn it off? if you did try powering up with the mix turned off then start the mix once everything is up and running.

I had the constan beeping on my Catalina but that was water in the ESC......

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:46 AM
wheeler hts nsw australia
Joined Jan 2010
84 Posts
Thankyou for your replys. And yes i do have controls of ailerons and elevator so reciver is working . i will try and set my throttle trim right down and see what happens.But in saying that first time round everything was fine.Any how keep replys coming hopefully i can these esc working, and by the way they are new and have not got wet. Thanks Rod.
yendor is offline Find More Posts by yendor