HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
My CL-415 has finally arrived!

At last, the Hobby King Canadair CL-415 has arrived, and I have now for the time being, tossed out designing paper models. This IS a challenge, especially when I already note, that many adaptation have to be carried out, even for the basic model.
The packaging was superb, no damage whatsoever, although the 2 plastic square pads on each side of the fuselage, protecting the horns I found unnecessary; very difficult to remove all signs of this protection – I think that the model must have been lying around for some time, as they have started sticking to the fuselage. The instructions are not very useful, but one battles on, and I have been perusing all you good people’s experiences in the forums.

First, install the servos (Turnigy TG9e) for the ailerons, BUT they cannot be screwed in place as described, as the screw holes are so designed that the screws must be inserted parallel to the wing surface!
Question 1: Can I immobilise the servos using the EPS glue provided?
The holes in the plastic arm of the servos are too small for the plastic link rod lever, and have to be drilled larger. No problem.
The white protective plastic cover for the servo is badly designed, as the link rod rubs against the inside side of the cover. I think I will cut a bit out of the servo pit, replacing the servo 1-2mm to overcome this.
The 2 float supports are of 3-ply and I aim to paint these using Acrylic Paint, and when dry, gluing in position with the EPS glue (wood to plastic).
Question 2: Is this OK?
Miles ahead, and not yet of current importance – I see I will have to reinforce the hull, especially if I land on long grass.
Landing on water without a boat to rescue any stalled/crashed/half-drowned plane is problematic. Being winter here, I don’t imagine my wife will be amused to being sent out to swim (at 5°C) to the rescue of my plane. Perhaps with flying experience, this will change, and I won’t have to organize the fire/ambulance people to stand by!
Question 3: Could I paint a 0.5-1mm thickness of 2-component glue such as Araldite onto the hull?
The leads to the servo, as explained by another builder, are fitted flush with the wing surface, by cutting a slit from the servo along the wing to the fuselage, or at least to the hole at the back of the navacelle.
Question 4: What silicone-type or other material can I use to fix the cable, so that if necessary (changing the servo, for example), I can remove the cable without damaging the wing?
I think that is enough to get on with for the time being, and I will be much obliged for your help.
Greetings from France
Bob
Bo43 is offline Find More Posts by Bo43
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:39 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo43 View Post
Question 1: Can I immobilise the servos using the EPS glue provided?
The holes in the plastic arm of the servos are too small for the plastic link rod lever, and have to be drilled larger. No problem.
The white protective plastic cover for the servo is badly designed, as the link rod rubs against the inside side of the cover. I think I will cut a bit out of the servo pit, replacing the servo 1-2mm to overcome this.
The 2 float supports are of 3-ply and I aim to paint these using Acrylic Paint, and when dry, gluing in position with the EPS glue (wood to plastic).
Question 2: Is this OK?
Miles ahead, and not yet of current importance – I see I will have to reinforce the hull, especially if I land on long grass.
Landing on water without a boat to rescue any stalled/crashed/half-drowned plane is problematic. Being winter here, I don’t imagine my wife will be amused to being sent out to swim (at 5°C) to the rescue of my plane. Perhaps with flying experience, this will change, and I won’t have to organize the fire/ambulance people to stand by!
Question 3: Could I paint a 0.5-1mm thickness of 2-component glue such as Araldite onto the hull?
The leads to the servo, as explained by another builder, are fitted flush with the wing surface, by cutting a slit from the servo along the wing to the fuselage, or at least to the hole at the back of the navacelle.
Question 4: What silicone-type or other material can I use to fix the cable, so that if necessary (changing the servo, for example), I can remove the cable without damaging the wing?
I think that is enough to get on with for the time being, and I will be much obliged for your help.
Greetings from France
Bob
#1 Yes, I usually glue my servos with a flexible cement such as the stuff they provide with the plane. That glue works best if you let it dry for just a few minutes before joining parts together.

#2 Yes gluing after paint should be fine. A little lateral reinforcement where supports attach to wing is a good idea.

#3 I have heard of using 2 part epoxy, thinned with alcohol, as a resin for applying fiberglass cloth. It would probably work ok to apply it without the cloth, but I would test it on an out of sight surface first, like maybe the inside of the hull or bottom of wing where it joins with the fuselage. Make sure you are happy with the finish and that it does no harm to the foam.

#4 I used the glue that came with the plane for the servo and servo wires. Uhu Por is also great for this, and very similar. I cut a v-shaped channel in the bottom of the wing, inserted the wires into the foam, then glued the strip of foam that I had cut out over the wires.

Good luck with your build and flying!
fly time is offline Find More Posts by fly time
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:28 PM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly time View Post
#1 Yes, I usually glue my servos with a flexible cement such as the stuff they provide with the plane. That glue works best if you let it dry for just a few minutes before joining parts together.

#2 Yes gluing after paint should be fine. A little lateral reinforcement where supports attach to wing is a good idea.

#3 I have heard of using 2 part epoxy, thinned with alcohol, as a resin for applying fiberglass cloth. It would probably work ok to apply it without the cloth, but I would test it on an out of sight surface first, like maybe the inside of the hull or bottom of wing where it joins with the fuselage. Make sure you are happy with the finish and that it does no harm to the foam.

#4 I used the glue that came with the plane for the servo and servo wires. Uhu Por is also great for this, and very similar. I cut a v-shaped channel in the bottom of the wing, inserted the wires into the foam, then glued the strip of foam that I had cut out over the wires.

Good luck with your build and flying!
Thanks a lot, that helps me to proceed. Next time I visit a modellers shop, I will look out for the fiberglass cloth.

(?) By the way, my leads for the motors are too short, and I presume that HK has standard cables for this.

2 new problems.

Problem 1: The prop supplied does not fit in its cone, as the central portion of the prop is too short. Does one have to cut away more of the cone, and then when they marry, glue the 2 centres together?

Problem 2, is now solved.......
Mounting the motors using the square cross-section rod is problematic, because the square cut in the navacelle is not central. I "decentred" the square rod by 7mm with a square piece of wood attached to the square rod. I then had to fabricate a new base plate, as the one supplied with the kit is unusable. The new base plate is of aluminium sheeting.This seems to work, I can glue the adapted square rod in its hole in the navacelle, and the motors are now centred. By the way, is it adviasable to Loctite the 4 screws fixing the motor?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:05 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
(?) By the way, my leads for the motors are too short, and I presume that HK has standard cables for this.

2 new problems.

Problem 1: The prop supplied does not fit in its cone, as the central portion of the prop is too short. Does one have to cut away more of the cone, and then when they marry, glue the 2 centres together?
You will have to extend the motor leads by either soldering on extensions or with wire and bullet connectors. HK has all of this stuff. Be sure to use the same gauge wire, and twist it into a braid if you are running it close to the servo wires.

Can't help you with the prop and spinner problem. I used different props on mine.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:49 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
You will have to extend the motor leads by either soldering on extensions or with wire and bullet connectors. HK has all of this stuff. Be sure to use the same gauge wire, and twist it into a braid if you are running it close to the servo wires.

Can't help you with the prop and spinner problem. I used different props on mine.
Good tip about twisting/braiding the wire; it will be very close to the servo wires.
Thanks again
Bob
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Sep 2007
20 Posts
"The instructions are not very useful, but one battles on, and I have been perusing all you good people’s experiences in the forums".

Check the Canadair mods done by "parkcityskier" in this forum, all seem worthwhile and sensible. My Canadair arrived yesterday, (along with a customs bill of £5 and service charge of £13). Fuselage bottom glassing, wing carbon tube and spray chines particularly worth doing. Hope to start foam bashing very soon!!!
mustangwally is offline Find More Posts by mustangwally
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Got my flaps done. Man, these are really big! But pretty close scale-wise to the real 415. Can't wait to try them in the air

http://vimeo.com/31069973
Hi fly time.

I'm gonna do that flaps mod that you have. Do yours run all the way out to the ailerons? How did they work out?

Luke
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:52 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
motor mount is the biggest problem...

i would not add flap but modify aileron to become bigger
and maybe do flaperon . I need more aileron authority

read French ? you can drive a real one : pilot jobs avalaible
http://www.carrieres.gouv.qc.ca/obte...re/detail/613/
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:13 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2000 View Post
Hi fly time.

I'm gonna do that flaps mod that you have. Do yours run all the way out to the ailerons? How did they work out?

Luke
Yes, all the way to the ailerons. I had to cut through one of the attachment points for the wing struts, but I don't use the struts so it was no big deal. I am very happy with them.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Decals for the CL-415

My 415 has now arrived, and I have half assembled it. Whilst I am waiting for some extra parts, I am now thinking about changing the decals. I can’t remove the old ones, but I can probably paint over them with a yellow acrylic paint (?), and I have already designed the ones I want, those of the French fire-fighters of the Securite Civile. Question: can anyone recommend an internet company which can make the decals out of the .bmp files I have?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Sorry, no.
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
My 415 has now arrived, and I have half assembled it. Whilst I am waiting for some extra parts, I am now thinking about changing the decals. I can’t remove the old ones, but I can probably paint over them with a yellow acrylic paint (?), and I have already designed the ones I want, those of the French fire-fighters of the Securite Civile. Question: can anyone recommend an internet company which can make the decals out of the .bmp files I have?
Check out your local sign writers. Most use a computer controlled knife to cut out self adhesive letters and logos. My club is lucky in that two of our members are sign writers who own such machines.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:11 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Custom decals

Callie Graphics is the go-to supplier for decals in the USA. I have bought from her before and she does great work.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Oct 2009
16 Posts
Her is a video of the CL 415 in flight:
Canadair CL415 from HobbyKing (4 min 56 sec)
ImEyeguy is offline Find More Posts by ImEyeguy
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:59 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Here you go. They do great work. Even have them do props for me. http://www.callie-graphics.com/airplanes.php
Contact them thru their contact page. They will get back instantly. Then emal or fax your bmp files and measurements to them. GL
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Last edited by DaveBC; Feb 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM.