HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
Hey there,

I am planning to get one of these canadairs. I am thinking about the configuration which is in the below. I am curious if this is a suitable configuration? if not, anyother suggestions?

Or another question is this plane suitable for the pre-intermediate pilots?

CL-415 Canadair 1390mm (ARF) X1:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16548

ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C X1: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3S1P_25C_.html

HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo X4: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idproduct=662

Turnigy AE-30A Brushless ESC X2: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11617

AX 2306N 1300kv Brushless Bell Motor X2: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ell_Motor.html
taylansplace is offline Find More Posts by taylansplace
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
That all looks good.

I've used the HK 25/30A ESCs and find them the simplest to use (and cheapest). The HK 15178 servos have never let me down either.
I'd probably suggest light fibreglass for the bottom used with acrylic varnish (water based). If you're in the US I think it's called polycryllic. In Ireland and UK it's a Ronseal waterproof varnish.
Don't forget to look for buddy codes too.

http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm

or there's a link I posted earlier to an automatic one in Google Chrome that shows if there's any discounts available.

Luke

Oh, Maybe an UBEC too
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Definately use a UBEC!

As Luke suggests. A UBEC is inexpensive, and will provide an independent source of voltage to your receiver & servos. That is safer than relying on one of the ESCs.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylansplace View Post
Hey there,

I am planning to get one of these canadairs. I am thinking about the configuration which is in the below. I am curious if this is a suitable configuration? if not, anyother suggestions?

Or another question is this plane suitable for the pre-intermediate pilots?

CL-415 Canadair 1390mm (ARF) X1:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16548

ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C X1: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3S1P_25C_.html

HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo X4: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idproduct=662

Turnigy AE-30A Brushless ESC X2: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11617

AX 2306N 1300kv Brushless Bell Motor X2: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ell_Motor.html
30 amps ESC's are probably overkill, but they will work. For those motors, 15 amp ESC's would be plenty!

As for this being a good "pre-intermediate" plane....probably not. This one is not difficult to fly, but twins are challenging in their own way. I consider myself to be a pretty good pilot but have still managed to crash twice in 10 or 12 flight so far I've put mine back together after both crashes, but if this was my first or second plane I would be VERY frustrated by now!

A couple of things that I would advise: install a UBEC as other have suggested (HK has them for under $10), and disable low voltage cutoff on both ESC's. This means you will have to watch your flight times, but it is better than having one motor cut out due to low battery voltage. It's most likely to occur when you are trying to power out of a bad situation after having already flown for several minutes. And it is more likely to occur if you have a high-power setup where you are only occasionally going to full throttle (probably not an issue for the motors you have selected).
fly time is offline Find More Posts by fly time
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
For a person with limited flying experience it would be safer to use a single engined floatplane to learn how to take of and land on water. I used a GWS E-starter on floats for this purpose.

There are a number of such models available such as this Wilga:-
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lug_n_Fly.html

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Well,

I'd call myself a pre-intermediate pilot, or even a stage lower, and all the trouble I've had relates to the transmitter problem and differential throttle problems.
In its basic form, it's a lovely plane to fly, and can fly very slow. I'd suggest that the beauty of this plane is that it can so easily take off and land from grass, allowing you the ability to practice and get used to it before you go near water. If you're using it from water to begin with, I think everybody here has found steering a problem (without differential throttle) except on the calmest days.
Remember though, with seaplanes, the problem is getting them back if something does go wrong.
That Wilga is nice though. Depends:
If you want to get into twins, building and seaplanes,the CL 415 is perfect. If you just want to fly from water, consider the Wilga, or one of HKs Cessnas that can take floats.

BTW, I've switched transmitters from the DX6i to a TH9X with ER9 firmware. It's really great. I've got a setup now that provides differential throttle when the throttles are 25% or lower, but is normal above that setting. It can do the slow down flap thing, and mix in down elevator at the same slow rate. Even my water scoop and drop system can slowly open the drop door, so hope that looks better (when the weather improves)

Luke
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
Firstly, thanks all for enlightening messages.

@Luke2000 : I sholud definetely use sth for bottom thnx for bringing outI dont think there will be so much difference with buddy codes but i will try.
@Lancer31 : Yes an UBEC i did not know before you told it about what is it for. But after some forum search i figured it out and i thinks so will be good if some of the esc gone wild.
@fly time : I was planning to buy an overamp esc to maybe i'd use with some bigger plane but yeah you r right these esc will be only and only for this model
@kensp : thank you for ur advice i will take it under consideration.

I simply want to clear my situation, I am not so a seaplane guy but want to add some landing gears on the plane. so the hardness of taking of from the water is not a problem for now.But i am not so experienced and dont want to be unhappy if i can not handle it. Maybe you should offer me a way map to get to this plane.(for example dont buy it now, but a cessna than get to this pr smt.. )

Thanks in advance for ur guidence.

Best Regards,
Taylan.
taylansplace is offline Find More Posts by taylansplace
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:29 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2000 View Post
You're welcome sammyc.

If I was in Australia, I'd be getting one too.

Every review says it's great, and such a nice sized model. Let us know how it works out.

Luke
I have the catalina together, wow its great quality! No issues with the build whatsoever, every screw lined up, every part fit snug and perfect. Beautiful plane! I haven't flown yet though, been windy lately, and won't go away
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylansplace View Post
I simply want to clear my situation, I am not so a seaplane guy but want to add some landing gears on the plane. so the hardness of taking of from the water is not a problem for now.But i am not so experienced and dont want to be unhappy if i can not handle it. Maybe you should offer me a way map to get to this plane.(for example dont buy it now, but a cessna than get to this pr smt.. )

Thanks in advance for ur guidence.

Best Regards,
Taylan.
I hate to steer you away from this plane, but for guys that are just getting started in this great hobby, I always recommend the HobbyZone Super Cub. It's a great plane to learn on because it is easy to fly, hard to break, and if you do break it parts are cheap to buy and easy to find. When you start to get a little bored with it, modify it with a brushless motor, ailerons, flaps, floats, lights, on board camera, or whatever you want. I bought one almost 5 years ago, my very first electric, and I still love to fly it!
fly time is offline Find More Posts by fly time
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Taylan,I've just got the same plane from hobbyking.
I'm using the same motors etc.,but only using 20A esc's.I've also ordered a 5A ubec,as i read it makes it much safer if one engine stops due to low battery power.
I'll fly it off land first,but eventually want to fly it off water,as that's the main reason for buying it.Water flying adds that extra dimension of enjoyment,which is hard to resist once you've done it a few times.
One thing I was wondering,would there be any benefit in fitting carbon spars in the bottom of the wing?I'm a bit leary about a thinnish foam wing carrying everything.
Regards.Hans.
beaverbuddy is offline Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:42 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverbuddy View Post
I'm using the same motors etc.,but only using 20A esc's.I've also ordered a 5A ubec,as i read it makes it much safer if one engine stops due to low battery power.
Im just wondering, why is it safer? I would have thought that because there are 2 ESC's supplying the receiver, there isn't much need for a separate BEC?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Im just wondering, why is it safer? I would have thought that because there are 2 ESC's supplying the receiver, there isn't much need for a separate BEC?
Oups, don't do that. Only 1 BEC should supply the receiver, either one from an esc or a separate one. And this has nothing to do with stopping of 1 engine due to low battery. Make sure you disable any cutoff feature. 2 mots are very hard to control with only one engine running.

If you use any cutoff, soft or hard, and your LiPo goes below cutoff voltage, one esc will be faster cutting off and as soon as the first one stops, the other one has enough power to continue without reduction. That's a situation not very easy to control. Better is you fly with timer or even better, today we use telemtrie data and warnings My Jetibox warns me as soon as 3S LiPo goes down to 9V (under load).

Fly safe, have fun
Rainer
FleaFlyFloh is offline Find More Posts by FleaFlyFloh
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:04 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleaFlyFloh View Post
Oups, don't do that. Only 1 BEC should supply the receiver, either one from an esc or a separate one. And this has nothing to do with stopping of 1 engine due to low battery. Make sure you disable any cutoff feature. 2 mots are very hard to control with only one engine running.
Why only 1 BEC? They will be effectively wired in parallel, so the receiver is still getting the same voltage, but extra current (2x) can be provided if needed.
And if one esc/bec dies, there's still power to rx. Im not experienced with using 2 esc's, but can't see why there would be a problem.
I just flew my new catalina like that, no issues whatsoever. Ill research further anyhow
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Then you were lucky. Some BEC can handle it, but I would not risk it. Applying a voltage 'from the wrong side' to a BEC can destroy it. 2 BECs can influence, or even kill each other when directly connected.

It's the same as it would be with 2 Batteries/LiPos: The one providing the higher voltage serves first, connected without any Diods or specially designed switches one Bat will charge the other. But charging a BEC might kill it. And you loose energy, charging a BEC is useless. It can heat up. As long as the voltage difference (and trust me, there IS a small voltage difference between 2 of the same kind BECs) is marginal, it's no big deal. As far as I remember, linear BECs will kill each other immediately, switched BECs survive for longer (Or vice-versa, I don't remember because I never do it so I don't need that info).

If you want to have a redundant voltage supply for the receiver, you have to use 2 Diods or better a specially designed switch like you would use for a redundant battery supply (http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/po...icht/start.php).

have phun
Rainer
FleaFlyFloh is offline Find More Posts by FleaFlyFloh
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
I have the catalina together, wow its great quality! No issues with the build whatsoever, every screw lined up, every part fit snug and perfect. Beautiful plane! I haven't flown yet though, been windy lately, and won't go away
yeh, I know the feeling.

Looks fantastic, maybe see if there's a Dynam Cat thread....or start one

Luke