HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Bob,

If you want a CL-415, you don't necessarily need all the mods that ggtronic recommends. If you're flying from water you might do them after a while, but simply put the ESCs inside the fuse, elevator servo at the rear is fine, I use the metal push rods that come with the kit, I fly mine with no wing supports and no wing strengthener, I've crashed (due TX problem) a few times and the wings are fine. I actually don't screw them on, I've 2 dowels through the fuselage and they're held on with elastic bands, so it's easier to carry around.

So go ahead and get one. You won't regret it

Luke
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:24 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2000 View Post
Bob,you don't necessarily need all the mods that ggtronic recommends.So go ahead and get one. You won't regret it Luke
agree with you Luke... its just that i invest a little more with FPV
gear$ onboard and i'm a little bit picky with my airplane perfomance & reliability

So go ahead and get one Bob

Luke , about TX : i'v also crash because of wrong RX location wich lose link even with a
additional sat receiver... RX was beside battery that seem to shield RF from some orientation

so i suggest to always put RX antenna far from battery
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:38 AM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
agree with you Luke... its just that i invest a little more with FPV
gear$ onboard and i'm a little bit picky with my airplane perfomance & reliability

So go ahead and get one Bob

Luke , about TX : i'v also crash because of wrong RX location wich lose link even with a
additional sat receiver... RX was beside battery that seem to shield RF from some orientation

so i suggest to always put RX antenna far from battery
Yeh good idea.

Where I had the problem was the bend in the transmitter antenna (2.4 Ghz DX6i). The small 2 core grey cable had been damaged at the bend junction and was intermittently losing range (only 5 or 6 months old). After a while, the outer core eventually gave way and range was permanently around 10 metres! I was glad in a way that it came to some conclusion 'cos I'd been blaming everything else, and of course when I'd start with a range check, it would NEVER show up. I'm sure it was a one off though.

FPV eh, something I'd love to give a go to. I guess you'd def want no glitches with that setup. I'd say the Canadair's a pretty good platform for one. I still find it confusing as to what equipment goes with what etc.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Thanks Everybody,
Sorry, I didn't reply uuntil now - I only just found out that I had apparently erroneously clicked the <<No Email>> button. I have already ordered yje KobbyKing model, and will slowly sift through all your good ideas.
Bob
Bo43 is offline Find More Posts by Bo43
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo43 View Post
Thanks Everybody,
Sorry, I didn't reply uuntil now - I only just found out that I had apparently erroneously clicked the <<No Email>> button. I have already ordered yje KobbyKing model, and will slowly sift through all your good ideas.
Bob
Well done, you'll be glad.

Out of curiosity, what is the delivery cost to France?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:31 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Bob,

................ I've 2 dowels through the fuselage and they're held on with elastic bands, so it's easier to carry around.

So go ahead and get one. You won't regret it

Luke
Luke, can you send me a pici, or drawing/photo of how you can dis- and re-assemble the wings from the fuselage, so that it is STABLE when assembled and during flight? My wife is already having fits about the amount of room necessary for storing the plane.
Thanksd
NBob
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
I'll get some pics and post them tomorrow.

You may need to "explain" to your wife the choice she needs to make with this hobby. If she gives you an ultimatum (you must regard this as a choice) of her or your hobby, go for the planes

Delivery cost to France????

Luke (now single)
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:45 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
I'll get some pics and post them tomorrow.

You may need to "explain" to your wife the choice she needs to make with this hobby. If she gives you an ultimatum (you must regard this as a choice) of her or your hobby, go for the planes

Delivery cost to France????

Luke (now single)

48 US Dollars Air Parcel (HK to France). And that's without the batteries, which they reckon would cause havoc in the post (presumably if they chuck everything around, as I did when I worked for the post).

The wife has accepted the fact that she is married to a crazy guy.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Sorry, forgot to get the pics. I'll have a go tonight, and if not def tomorrow.

It's a very simple solution
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Here ya go.

I've 2 rods (mine are square but round dowels would be better) inserted through the fuselage, one just in front, and below, the wing, and one just behind and below it.

You'll need slightly longer wires from the aileron servos and the motor wires, so that when the wing is off, it can rest beside the fuselage with the cables running into the receiver and ESC etc. That way you won't have to keep disconnecting all the cables.

I don't use the "wires" from the mid section of the wings to the bottom of the fuselage. I have carbon fibre reinforcing in the wings, but only because I have a water scoop and dump system to allow for the extra weight. I've run it before I added this system without those wires and the wing is plenty strong. Put in the carbon rod if you want extra peace of mind.

When you want to fly, the wing just sits on the fuselage, run elastic bands from front to back each side, then more in a criss cross (X) like in the picture. Those last ones are important as they ensure that the front to back don't slip off. I have a similar system in a Horizon Hobby nitro plane and it came from the factory like that. That system is well tried and tested. Let me know if you need more help.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:09 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Great, thanks Luke.
Only dangerous thing should the elastic bands break, no, worse, if only one should break!
Presumably have to be pretty heavy duty elastic bands?
Bob
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Well, I should have said that you'll need more than one each side. Best way is 1 or 2 each side front to back, then 2 in a criss cross fashion. I use ordinary elastic bands, but they don't last forever. Check each time you put them on.

What I did leave out and should have said was that on the inside if the fuselage where the dowels go through, strengthen that area. I used 2mm plastic but hot glue or fibreglass etc would probably do. That will be an area that could fail if not beefed up.

Luke
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:49 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
For those who have flown both, what do you prefer, the dynam catalina or the CL-415? How do their characteristics line up, and how does the quality vs price compare? Im determined to buy either from hobbyking in the next few days
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
I've both the HK CL415 and the HK Catalina. I don't think the HK Catalina is the same as the Dynam Catalina, and HK don't sell the Dynam model.

However, both the HK models are very easy to fly. On grass, the Catalina is the easier plane to land. On water, the CL415 is easier to land.

The 415, despite the figures showing them very close in size, seems to be physically a much larger plane. It has more presence in the air. The quality on both is pretty identical.

As described above, the wings on the CL415 can be made to be very quickly removed and replaced. I did the same with the Catalina, but it's no so easy. The Cat needs to be really left in one piece, so if size is important(!) it's gotta be the CL415.

I think that the CL415 is a much nicer looking plane, my kids much prefer the Catalina.

I'd decide based on whether or not you plan to use it on water mostly. You will find a HK Catalina thread here as well but it's not as well subscribed as this one - maybe that's an answer in itself.

Hope I haven't confused you.

Luke
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:34 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Cheers for the great info Luke.
I had a quick compare of the dynam and Catalina on HK, they look identical. But there is the much cheaper one also on HK. The nicer (grey) one I'm looking at seems to be only for Aussie warehouse now? Which is fine for me haha
Are the stock electrics ok in the cat, if yours is the one I'm looking at tho lol
Damn typing this on a phone sucks lol shoulda left my pc on
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc