HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:59 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
The ones I'm looking at if I don't go with those Alphas are the Blue Wonders from headsuprc.

This:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

The ratings they give it with a 9050 and the 8040 props on 11.1V are pretty good.

I'm no expert on picking brushless motors and such, so I always try to read the reviews and take as much advice as I can get before picking a power package.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:43 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
Im the exact same way lol. Those at headsuprc.com look like they could be promising.
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:01 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
People use them in everything. From GWS planes, to my Flylite and Goldberg Falcon.

It's very very popular.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:35 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
The Blue wonder is very aptly named. I have four of them in use and am very pleased with them. One is in a GWS Spitfire, one in a GWS Me109, one in a GWS Tiger Moth and one in a Piaget E3D.

I did consider using them for the CL-415 but decided to use the larger Turnigy 2410-12Y instead.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:39 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
I bit the bullet, ordered the two 370s, mainly cause the price was right ($11.70, shipped free) with mount, prop adapter, and they are obviously proven in the video on this airframe.

Also because I needed a 450 for my PT19 and they had a nice one in stock with the right numbers as well, for cheap.

Grabbed two different props to play with 8040-3 and 9050-3 and two of the 3 blade black spinners from gwsprops.com

I guess we'll see how it all goes once it arrives and I can slap it together.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
hpiguy, how do you plan on attaching the motors to the plane? Are you able to use a stick mount with this motor or will it need to be screwed to some sort of firewall?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:47 AM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
hpiguy, how do you plan on attaching the motors to the plane? Are you able to use a stick mount with this motor or will it need to be screwed to some sort of firewall?
Good question. I don't actually know at this moment until I get it all in hand and see how it can be rigged. LOL

Seeing as the plane comes with sticks for the motors, I think that's the way it will go. BUT, I can always be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me.

You can see how it's done with different motors in these pics:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...r-Mount/Detail

Or use a metal one like this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6782

The stick mounting hole in the nacelle is off center towards the bottom, so the stick style motor mount brings it back to center.

You get a good view in this pic:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3887436
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
I fly my guanli PBY on a 3s 1500 30c pack and am getting about 8-10 minute flight times. In the flight video for the this cl-415 I think he says hes using a 2600? Does that seem right?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:09 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
It looks like a big battery, that's for sure.

Might be overkill, but HK lists a 2200mah as the preferred battery as well.
Last edited by hpiguy; Mar 31, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
hpiguy, I just ordered the same set up as you lol....two of the 370s and also the 8040-3 bladed props from gwsprops.

I have a newbie question though. The bell motors ive been messing with all have threaded shafts so its easy to figure out how the props/nuts secure the props to the shafts. But the 370's dont have threaded shafts, do you glue those plastic spacers that come with the props into the center? Once you find the one with the tightest fit what is the best way to secure the prop to the shaft?

Thank you for any advice you can give!

- Jordan
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:42 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
The prop adapter they come with will either secure to the shaft with a set screw or it will be a compression fit when you screw on the spinner.

Based on the looks of the shaft and the included spare shaft, it's a compression fit.

You place the adapter on the shaft, then the prop with proper insert, then screw down the spinner on top of it. As it screws down it will tighten the adapter onto the shaft. It may assemble slightly different, I'm just quoting from how other ones work.

I'll be modifying the $1.50 three blade black spinners from gwsprops to fit over the top of the prop adapter. If they look bad, block too much airflow or plain just won't work that way, I'll save them for my GWS T6 and paint the included blue spinner a nice flat black.

This video will give you a great view of it installed with adapter, mount, etc. It's right from their site.

Alpha 370 Motor.wmv (9 min 43 sec)
Last edited by hpiguy; Mar 31, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:44 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
I fly my guanli PBY on a 3s 1500 30c pack and am getting about 8-10 minute flight times. In the flight video for the this cl-415 I think he says hes using a 2600? Does that seem right?
That PBY, is that the blue and yellow one?

Have you repainted it? I like that plane, but personally find it butt ugly in that striped color combo and haven't purchased it.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:15 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
The mount that is used will depend on the offset of the stick. If the original design was for geared motors then the black GWS style stick mount will not work as the prop shaft will not be in the center of the hole in the front of the nacelle.

I will wait until I have the model before making motor mount selection. I have two types of mounts with the two most common offsets that I can use.

My work with MotoCalc indicates that a 1600 mAh battery will give around 6 minutes at WOT and around 20 minute flights at reduced throttle. The final decider in my case will be," Can the correct CG be achieved with the lighter battery".

Photo No 8 in the Hobby King add shows that two spinners are supplied with the kit.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:51 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Correct, those are two blade spinners. I'll be using three blade props, hence the three blade spinners I bought. For some reason I'm just hooked on the three blade prop for this one.

I see that the stick mounts are quite a bit lower in the nacelle from the picture, so that's where I was assuming the offset mounts would be what we needed.

You are correct again that we'll have to see exactly what the offset is once they arrive.
Last edited by hpiguy; Mar 31, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:39 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
thank you very much for all of the helpful advice! and yes the pby is the yellow and blue stripped one, i personally have always liked the plane......flies great and lands smooth!