HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I've never done a twin engine/ESC plane before. Rock crawlers yes I've done twin motors on them, but they use one ESC and either series or parallel wiring of the motors depending on the application.

When using twin ESCs on a plane, do you just hook a Y cable from the throttle channel to give signal to each ESC?

Do you unhook the red wire from each and just use a normal BEC to power the receiver and servos or do you leave it hooked up?
I set up all my twins with a UBEC, separate from the ESCs. I have purchased this UBEC for my CL-415 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15212

You can either use a Y lead from the Rx to the ESCs or set up differential throttle steering by using the throttle channel and one of your auxiliary channels. In either case the red wire on the Rx/ESC plug is disconnected.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:33 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Thanks guys. I figured it was something like that.

I use have two of these UBECs anyway, so I'll use that. It should work fine. Much like the one kensp mentions, just two more amps of power. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16663

I use "old school" non-computerized radios, so channel mixing it's practical for most applications. For example I'll use a Laser 6 on this one because I have lights on my mind that can be operated seperately.

I'll disconnect the red wire from the common lead of the Y connector so that the ESCs could always be used elsewhere and not have to be redone back to normal.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:51 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
hpiguy

Thank you for bringing that 5 Amp UBEC to my notice.

Ken
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:43 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
HK says mine is on the way. Let's hope the shipping companies are friendly to it and don't use it as a wheel chock.

I'll open it up right away and make sure it's all in there and in fine shape.

Then it gets put on the shelf because I have tons of other stuff to build in line before it.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:24 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
My kit left Hong Kong on the 29 Mar so I expect it to arrive around 5 April.

I am ordering some of these 9 x 5 RH & LH propellers in my next buy from Hobby King. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11332

Ken
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:31 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Let us know the amp draw WOT on your motor and prop choice when you get it set up please.

You think your motors would perform well with the 8040 three blade option? I like the three blade look for this plane.

Worst case I go with those $11 370 motors from Hobbypartz they used in the video.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:56 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Let us know the amp draw WOT on your motor and prop choice when you get it set up please.

You think your motors would perform well with the 8040 three blade option? I like the three blade look for this plane.

Worst case I go with those $11 370 motors from Hobbypartz they used in the video.
My motors have a KV of 1000 so they need more pitch than the 8 x 4 x 3 propeller provides. The GWS 9 x 5 x 3 blade could be used but if you look at this photo it can be seen that the full sized uses 4 bladed propellers.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Mar 29, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:10 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
But do they even make a 4 blade for electric in the size we need?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:14 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
597 Posts
This plane has the same engine as the Dehavilland Dash 8, which uses a 4 blade prop. I am confident that the Cl-415 uses the same . I'm going with the Hobbypartz 370s and plan on using Master airscrew 7x6x3 props and see how she goes. A 4 blade would look nice for static display. When the plane gets here I will also have to sort out some spinners. Keep you all posted.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Last edited by huntingfield; Mar 29, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:45 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
The ideal size 4 blade propeller for my motor would be a 7 x 5. Vario Prop make one, but one 4 blade propeller costs the same price as the CL-415 kit. The main advantage is that the pitch can be adjusted to suit any model and prop blade can be replaced separately if damaged.

http://www.eam.net/Varioprop/Vario%20Prop.htm

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Mar 29, 2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Add Photo
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:41 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
It takes a little work, & some tools, but....

It is a lot easier to make a 4-blader than it is a 3-blader!
You need a counter-bore that has an outside diameter the same as the prop-hub of the props you are going to use, (1/2 inch, in the case of the Guan'Li props supplied), and a pilot that exactly fits the shaft bore, of that prop. Then you need a drillpress. Bore exactly halfway through
2, 2-blade props, one from the front, and one from the rear.
When done, glue the 2 props together, (you can use CYA, epoxy, or Gorilla, etc.), and hold them together with an appropriate screw & nut, with a washer on each side, until cured. Be sure that you measure between blade-tips, exactly the same, before it cures. Now balance your new, 4-blade props, and you are ready to fly!

Back before our house burned down, I had sent in a picture-sequence of this procedure, where I made 4-bladers for a GWS C-130, but I don't know if that is still on the forum, or not, but it is pretty simple, if you have what it takes! Best of luck!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Last edited by Lancer31; Apr 01, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:04 AM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Yup, I think I'll stick with the cheap 3 blade props for now.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:44 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
It is a lot easier to make a 4-blader than it is a 3-blader!
You need a counter-bore that has an outside diameter the same as the prop-hub of the props you are going to use, and a pilot that exactly fits the shaft bore, of that prop. Then you need a drillpress. Bore exactly halfway through
2, 2-blade props, one from the front, and one from the rear.
When done, glue the 2 props together, (you can use CYA, epoxy, or Gorilla, etc.), and hold them together with an appropriate screw & nut, with a washer on each side, until cured. Be sure that you measure between blade-tips, exactly the same, before it cures. Now balance your new, 4-blade props, and you are ready to fly!

Back before our house burned down, I had sent in a picture-sequence of this procedure, where I made 4-bladers for a GWS C-130, but I don't know if that is still on the forum, or not, but it is pretty simple, if you have what it takes! Best of luck!

You should make some and sell them, it sounds like a good idea!
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:55 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
can someone post a link to the motors that they use in the video? Thank you in advance!

I finally got my PBY Catalina flying (Guanli) and love it. I have a cabin in upper michigan on lake margrethe and it looks sooooo cool flying off water early in the morning when there is still fog on the water.

These are the upgraded motors that I put on the PBY (http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=5111). They a nice cheap bolt on replacement. Havent flown it off water with the new motors, but it will take off off of grass in about 25 feet. I am happy with them.

Now I need a back up airframe....I take it since this kit has pretty similar specs as the PBY, the electronics should swap out pretty easy......or I could just have two twin engine models ready to rip.
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:57 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
can someone post a link to the motors that they use in the video? Thank you in advance!
These seem to be the ones given the description in the video.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-370-...ess-motor.html