Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Not as hard as you might think.

I opted to run my wires through the wing. Filed some teeth on the end of a carbon-fiber tube, and just twist it through the wing. You stop, occasionally, and push the slug of foam out of the tube, with a dowel.
I think I'll take it right on out to the vicinity of the aileron servo.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:05 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
saucisse's Avatar
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,184 Posts
I'm not there yet, I always fly the plane several times before installing any FPV gear in it. Since the rear compartment underneath the wing was free up from the rudder servo this might be a good place to put the vtx and other gear. I will try to put the cam on the tail where there is that black cone shape thing...

As for power, 300W is IMO more then enough to move this rig with a GoPro and should take the ''stress''. Again being made out of EPS I'm more scared about rough landings then anything else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
Looks great! Where does the FPV gear go?

Do you think this would be robust enough with 300 watts of power in the motors to pull a gopro in a waterproof case off the water?
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:36 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
saucisse's Avatar
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,184 Posts
It's alive!!!

Well, it's done!!! Almost... need to install the wings bracing wires thing and it's done.

Here's a quick vid I did while testing it...gotta love the twin motors sound The cat don't seem to think alike...notice on the bottom right corner she's drinking...well not for long lol.

AUW is 1246gr or 2.75 lbs (including a 3s 3000mah pack)

*edit* looking back at the video I just noticed that the left motor's ESC does have brake ''on'' but not the right one.

HobbyKing Canadair CL-415 tests (0 min 49 sec)
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Last edited by saucisse; Apr 14, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:21 AM
I'd rather be flying
baddb1's Avatar
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
I opted to run my wires through the wing. Filed some teeth on the end of a carbon-fiber tube, and just twist it through the wing. You stop, occasionally, and push the slug of foam out of the tube, with a dowel.
I think I'll take it right on out to the vicinity of the aileron servo.
Beautiful, I like that idea. I think I will route the wires that way too.

What size and type bit did you get to modify the props? Do you have a link? Do you think that process has weakened the blades at all?

Bill
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:25 AM
I'd rather be flying
baddb1's Avatar
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Well, it's done!!! Almost... need to install the wings bracing wires thing and it's done.

Here's a quick vid I did while testing it...gotta love the twin motors sound The cat don't seem to think alike...notice on the bottom right corner she's drinking...well not for long lol.

AUW is 1246gr or 2.75 lbs (including a 3s 3000mah pack)

*edit* looking back at the video I just noticed that the left motor's ESC does have brake ''on'' but not the right one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRiCTy8QJBA
Whoa, yeah make sure both ESC's are set to either brake on or off. That could be a big problem on landing if they were set differently!

It looks good! Good luck on the maiden and be sure to get some video!

Still waiting for mine to arrive, <sigh> going on 3 weeks now! It should be any day now...
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:23 AM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
hpiguy's Avatar
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Well, it's done!!! Almost... need to install the wings bracing wires thing and it's done.

Here's a quick vid I did while testing it...gotta love the twin motors sound The cat don't seem to think alike...notice on the bottom right corner she's drinking...well not for long lol.

AUW is 1246gr or 2.75 lbs (including a 3s 3000mah pack)

*edit* looking back at the video I just noticed that the left motor's ESC does have brake ''on'' but not the right one.
Very nice.

Do you have a wattmeter to tell us what kind of draw you are getting?
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:33 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
saucisse's Avatar
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,184 Posts
Sure! Was about to post it... 259.4 watts @ 23.74 amps. That is with the stock 8x3.8 props that came with the kit. Going try different prop sizes.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Last edited by saucisse; Apr 15, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:50 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Beautiful, I like that idea. I think I will route the wires that way too.

What size and type bit did you get to modify the props? Do you have a link? Do you think that process has weakened the blades at all?

Bill
I used a 1/2" aircraft counterbore, with a 1/8" pilot, but if I had it to do over, I would buy a 17/32" counterbore, for these props, so I wouldn't have to do so much hand-fitting & trimming. Check here;
http://www.spenro.com/aircraft-count...ers-p-414.html
Since I have removed half of the material from the hub, each propeller is obviously greatly weakened. The plan is to use a threaded shaft, with a pair of large-area, #6 washers & nuts, to encapsulate the entire hub area in JB Weld, a very strong metal filled epoxy. Once so treated, finished & balanced,
a very thorough & careful spin-test will be conducted.

Disclaimer: Not everyone will have the means & wherewithall to make such
modifications, therefore I must point out that I am only reporting on my own activities, without recomendation.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Last edited by Lancer31; Apr 15, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:28 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
saucisse's Avatar
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,184 Posts
Well now it's ready for the maiden flight which will probably be tomorrow if it's not too windy.

I've put my 720p keychain cam on the tail to record the maiden flight:



...and mark position of the lipo to have the correct CG with or without the cam:



Small clip with the cam just to give a rough idea, will have to fix the vibrations issue:

CL-415 test (0 min 50 sec)
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'd rather be flying
baddb1's Avatar
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Well now it's ready for the maiden flight which will probably be tomorrow if it's not too windy.

I've put my 720p keychain cam on the tail to record the maiden flight:

...and mark position of the lipo to have the correct CG with or without the cam:



Small clip with the cam just to give a rough idea, will have to fix the vibrations issue:
Nice! Is that a 3000maH pack in there like you mentioned above? It just seems pretty far forward for that large of a battery....
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:40 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
saucisse's Avatar
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,184 Posts
Yeah it's the 3000mah pack. It's that forward because I've put my modded 720p keychain on the tail + rudder servo is also now in the tail.

When removing the keychain cam you can see the mark where the pack is going to be for proper CG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Nice! Is that a 3000maH pack in there like you mentioned above? It just seems pretty far forward for that large of a battery....
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Best of luck to you!

Looks ready to fly!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:54 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
BloomingtonFPV's Avatar
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Yeah it's the 3000mah pack. It's that forward because I've put my modded 720p keychain on the tail + rudder servo is also now in the tail.

When removing the keychain cam you can see the mark where the pack is going to be for proper CG.
That's good news. That means that I can move the batter back when I put a gopro on it as well. Can you try it with a gopro in a waterproof case balanced in the middle of where the canopy would go (and yes I'm assuming that everyone has a gopro on rcgroups...).

Good luck with the maiden. Hopefully all your lakes are free of ice at this point. Tough winter for your part of the country.
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Not everone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
(and yes I'm assuming that everyone has a gopro on rcgroups...).
I probably would, if they could only lose that stupid rubberband horizon!
Just can't live with that.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:22 PM
Registered User
cincinati, oh
Joined Jul 2001
201 Posts
wow..love the camera

i have no idea about cameras...what are you using? how do you power it? Thanks for any info on that, i have no experience with cameras on rc planes. Looks great.
ramw5p is offline Find More Posts by ramw5p
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale MR Aerodesign Canadair CL-415 Kit Complete Rudderman98 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 09, 2009 07:05 PM
Found Canadair CL 415 kit,ARF, ARC,or plans rcdude01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Nov 13, 2008 05:41 PM
Wanted Looking for a Canadair CL-415 ARF or kit, maybe plans rcdude01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 17, 2008 04:54 PM
For Sale Canadair CL-415 Kit NIB EAMRC Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 29, 2006 11:36 AM
FS: Canadair CL-415 Kit Rudderman98 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Oct 11, 2004 09:54 PM