SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:10 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Thank you very much for the info & the links!
A few years ago, a friend built a twin engined flying boat with differential throttle controls. His was done mechanically, but the end result was splendid!
No one should have to operate a flying boat without this benefit.
Glad to help. Using throttle differential for steering on water is great. My Catalina can turn within its on length. I also mixed it in with ailerons using my radios aileron rudder mix (Opitc 6 ). Using this setup makes the rudder servo redundant. My plane will now do coordinated turns ( in flight ) with no rudder input at all. When I flew the CL-415 using the stock water rudder I found it was quite ineffective in even in calm wind conditions, in addition its just hanging down back there waiting to get broken off.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:24 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
I have ordered my mixer.

From Dionysus Design. Cheaper ones can be bought, but I have had good luck with this guy. He says it is better, and I believe it.
http://www.dionysusdesign.com/produc...roducts_id/174
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:29 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,226 Posts
Here is how to do throttle differential with a capable radio (no external mixer). I did it with my DX7 on my Catalina and it worked great!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489099
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by baddb1; Jun 02, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:30 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp View Post
What is the shelf life of Plastidip? Itís horribly expensive and I would not use much each time I use it.

Ken
I soak all my servos and electronics in Corrosion X http://www.corrosionx.com/marine.html. I think here in Canada I buy Corrosion Block.

I have totally drowned my Seawind, drained the water out of it and then flown 2 minutes later.

This stuff is an oil like substance that you just coat everything with including the ESC's. For the ESC's, I actually take off almost all the heat shrink and just leave enough to hold the heat sink in place. I then cover it with Corrosion Block.

You can even coat the ESC's in a conformal coating first which is like a sealing fluid and that will totally protect them.

Now, I can't wait for these to be back in stock so I can add it to the fleet.

Mike
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
Joined Apr 2006
957 Posts
"That being said, it is a beautiful, impressive model, worth waiting for!"

Yes, i'm quite looking forward to it. I'm normally a warbird guy, but this one has really caught my interest.
aferguson is offline Find More Posts by aferguson
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:51 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Here is how to do throttle differential with a capable radio (no external mixer). I did it with my DX6i on my Catalina and it worked great!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489099
Thanks for the heads up. I have a DX6i and didn't know about this. Thank you.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:35 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
I want to see someone convert their foamy to a water bomber like this guy did to his nitro one.

CANADAIR CL-215 rc-3 (9 min 49 sec)
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:58 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
OK, post office says it's here. We'll see if it really is this time or if it's yet another China order I forgot all about like last time.

Also, I see HK is now out of stock of this plane. Lucky us that ordered it right away.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
I want to see someone convert their foamy to a water bomber like this guy did to his nitro one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywSHD...eature=related
Cool stuff. I would love to try it.
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:01 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Warning!

As we gain experience with this big, beautiful model, things will come to light that should be shared & adressed.
Here are two such items; The rudder pushrod is of low-grade steel, and passes through a plastic tube, between the servo & the rudder horn.
I noticed that mine was sticky, & difficult to move, and it has not even been near the water! (It is rust)!
I also noticed that the rudder tube stantion, on the servo end, was not glued down. These are typical of the things we must always be on the lookout for, in kits. The stantion is an easy & obvious fix. The threaded-end
steel pushrod offers several possibilities to fix. my first thought was to use a
lighter, stronger, and completely waterproof carbon-fiber rod, with appropriate end fittings, but another good way would be Sullivan plastic pushrods. your choice.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:47 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,186 Posts
Lancer31: This is exactly why I will put the rudder servo on the tail...I did not like the quality of that tube/rod combo and IMO changing/fixing the whole thing is as much work as relocating the servo in the tail. The rod in the tube was already showing signs of corrosion and was draggy like you've said.

I'll post some picture and comments of the rudder servo being installed in the tail when done.

Cheers!
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:38 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
lancer+saucisse : i received my kit and agree with your comment,
rudder linkage is crap and paint seems not dry yet and still sticky

still we got plenty of things for our money

i also thought of CF linkage inside actual rudder tube , or
may go with proximity servo as suggested by saucisse

power setup : i use these motor
to get 300W peak while staying light and i will have a fully enclosed split mode motor mount
(thin aluminium plate that will block motor pod opening while
holding these motor inside the pod )
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:55 AM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Mine is here!

It wasn't double boxed though. They just took the box top, ripped it open and taped it on backward so it was brown. Probably when they were tossing in the extra stuff I ordered.

But it all seems in good shape from what I can tell in my office.

I'll unbox it all tonight and double check it all.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:49 AM
Ottawa,Canada
Joined Dec 2003
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
lancer+saucisse : i received my kit and agree with your comment,
rudder linkage is crap and paint seems not dry yet and still sticky

still we got plenty of things for our money

i also thought of CF linkage inside actual rudder tube , or
may go with proximity servo as suggested by saucisse

power setup : i use these motor
to get 300W peak while staying light and i will have a fully enclosed split mode motor mount
(thin aluminium plate that will block motor pod opening while
holding these motor inside the pod )
Howdy!I'm not quite understanding your choice of motor for this plane.The specs on the 2208-14 1450kv motor according to RC Timer, show a maximum prop size of only 7x4.5 on 3S.I actually have this motor and run it on an Aerocat on 3S with 6"x4"-5" props so unless I'm not fully understanding your intent,I don't see how your going to swing a larger diameter prop like say a 8"x3.8"?Seems awful close to the end limits of this motors capabilities.I know sometimes these motor specs are not quite accurate but I'm curious to find out your thinking on this one.My CL-415 is still in the mail system.I've got a few motor choices up my sleeve but haven't really settled on a final choice yet.I'm curious to see what others are using and how there models perform.
Cheers!
Turbobeaver is offline Find More Posts by Turbobeaver
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:03 PM
cincinati, oh
Joined Jul 2001
204 Posts
This is a great thread

I have to have this plane...obviously!!!..just trying to get up the nerve to stomach that shipping cost...more then the plane to usa...anyhow. I am confused as to why some people are ordering BEC circuits? Isnt this in the ESC or your RX??? Is this a 2.4 thing, i still have older equip? Thanks for any knowledge here. Also, any word on someone doing Canadian decals for this thing? Also...sorry...has anyone come up with an easy motor and mount option? I see lots of discussion but have not yet seen an easy way to do this, just talk that the stick mount option wont work. THANKS.
ramw5p is offline Find More Posts by ramw5p