HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:43 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 1999
1,296 Posts
NC Real EstateGuy, don't do it. Repeat!! Don't do it. Everybody loves the scale or stand off scale war birds, because they look so good, BUT, as a new flyer, it would be way beyond your capabilities to try to fly one of these. If you want to buy it and put it away until you're ready for a war plane that's a different story, but you need to get used to flying and develope your intuiitive actions before flying one of these. It's like riding a bike. After you've done it for a while, you don't even think about what you have to do to stay up on the bike. These types of planes don't give you the opportunity to think about what you're going to do. So, rather than spending a whole bunch of money on a great, all be it, harder to fly plane, I would suggest that you get a whole lot of practice with easier to fly planes until you don't have to rely on someone else to take the radio out of your hands to save it from crashing. So many people get into the hobby and then try to fly a war bird, but end up crashing it. Then they get frustrated and quit the hobby all together. If you go with a buddy box, your "buddy" will be flying it more than you will, if you don't mind watching him fly.
Gene is offline Find More Posts by Gene
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:15 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,912 Posts
Triple W... thanks for the advice.

Gene... thanks for your advice too.

I am going to order one of these as soon as possible, and in the meantime fly the heck out of my mid wing, taildragger foamie and my GP Spectra electric glider. By the time this plane is at market, I should be able to log quite a bit of flying time. I will let my friend take off and land the warbird and I will fly it at altitude until I feel comfortable at the controls. That worked the first time around.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:31 PM
Joined Aug 1999
1,296 Posts
That's a good idea. Buy it while it's available, and at least you'll have it. Sometimes, I get a plane that I really love, then the manufacturer quits producing it. So I usually buy a second one and just hold onto it.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:14 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,912 Posts
Gene,
I went flying yesterday for about 2 hours. As I was flying, I was really trying to imagine what it would feel like if the plane was three times faster and larger. And even though I think my flying skills are pretty good for a beginner, I realized that I am far from being able to handle this warbird. So, I spent the two hours doing TOs and landings and ground handling skills. I will still purchase this plane when it comes out, and use it as an incentive to get out there and fly with a purpose.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:18 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
This thing looks fantastic! Just hoping it's not one of those Chinese built jobs where the gear is all crap and ya get no product support.

That's the only thing fearing me about this one. I see so many threads of HobbyKing, Nitroplanes, and Banana Hobby planes where guys have to make a ton of mods before it's flight worthy.

They definitely got this one looking REALLY nice. Anymore word on when it's expected?
My thoughts exactly....

Will be watching and waiting for those the get this model and fly it and we will see!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-Flite "Dallas Doll" P-51D...
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:00 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Keep Practicing NCguy! TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:18 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Gene,
I went flying yesterday for about 2 hours. As I was flying, I was really trying to imagine what it would feel like if the plane was three times faster and larger. And even though I think my flying skills are pretty good for a beginner, I realized that I am far from being able to handle this warbird. So, I spent the two hours doing TOs and landings and ground handling skills. I will still purchase this plane when it comes out, and use it as an incentive to get out there and fly with a purpose.
I'm sure if you wanted tips on "next planes" folks on here would be more than willing, if you'll let 'em know what you're flying now, etc. It's a great hobby!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:52 PM
Joined Aug 1999
1,296 Posts
Practice stall recoveries up high, because that is one of the characteristics of warbirds. They tend to stall on the "final approach" turn if you're flying too slow. Then they cartwheel, breaking things as they tumble. Practice those stalls even with what you're flying now. Just do it up high where you have enough altitude for three errors to recover.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:20 PM
Starting over
United States, TN
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy chen View Post
Thank you for the concern about this product.
Now we are trying to test electronic equipment.
To ensure stability and reliability of this product.
Huge size of the EPO is a huge challenge.
The same for me is a huge challenge.
Andy, we all hope a great deal of R&D goes into this plane before it hits the open market. There are so many pilots out ther including me that strip out the cheap electronics and rebuild with quality parts. Offering this plane as an "airframe" would be a big plus from the very begining. Letting us pilots build it the way we want it would quiet alot of complaints. I too am excited to see this size plane being developed. I hope to read more positive reviews in the very new future. Good luck to you with this new plane. ~robert
crashhelmet is offline Find More Posts by crashhelmet
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,912 Posts
OK... I have gotten over my "72 hour high", and have decided to purchase a Multiplex Mentor, as a step in between my beginner plane that I have now, and the warbird. It will give you other guys some time to critique this one for a little while before I purchase.
Gene, Next time out I will practice stall recoveries. Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
BP Hobbies @ one time had the Mentor CHEAP! I see it's back up to a buck and 1/2 now. You might want to give the Fun Cub a chance. It's large and is very forgiving to fly as well.
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:53 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,753 Posts
any updates on this, did we get and ETA?

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:22 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,212 Posts
I was wondering the same thing? Nothing on Hobby King , nothing around at all , we need a P40 fix !!!!!
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Apr 06, 2011, 07:53 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,947 Posts
Just yesterday I was "flying" my static display P-40N model around my desk making engine and machine gun noises and thinking about this kit.

I'm definitely looking forward to this one...
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:01 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,212 Posts
updates , anyone , santa ? Easter Bunny ?
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm