SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:03 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
The Kittyhawk wasn't the most comfortable plane to fly according to my dad. Although it wasn't oppressively noisey, like the B-25,nor was it as smooth sounding on the inside as it was from the outside. The engine always made an unnerving rattling noise and gave the impression it was about to pack up at any moment. The Corsair was a complete contrast and always sounded sweet and smooth. Lovely plane to fly and the props didn't fly off either.
As for creature comforts ? What comforts? The pilot sat on his parachute. Actually his inflatable dinghy with a gas bottle in it!! So comfort depended on the luck of the draw as to how the dinghy had been packed.
Name: AWNS_19421007_p016_i005_z.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 145.6 KB
Description: acknowledgement to 'Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries.

Say what you will about this HK P40n but IMO the real problem it has had is that it was the first one out of the blocks and everyone picked on it with nothing comparable to compare it to. Not saying that HK have helped much but the plane itself is still value for money as compared to the 'new kids on the block'. Better the devil you know. If some of you American guys gave the plane a once over I'm sure it would look brilliant and attract a lot of attention both here on RCG's and at the field.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Last edited by Kaikokid; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:38 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,874 Posts
Kkk - post #4261

Ah, what a great picture of some fine lads...!

Yup, as it stands now, very little to berate this H-K P40N over. The weaknesses that were obvious early on are really the only ones that have marred it and as the smoke continues to clear, it is really quite a good airplane when it's vices are addressed and remedied.

The Lx version is a pretty good bet too at this juncture though I'm aware it comes with the occasional flaw. Still, the H-K version is the most honest 'looker', apparent from the very start to this ol' P-40 bud.

To those who are willing and able to take on the bit of work it needs, this one is surely not one to pass over if seeking a true likeness in looks and the flying performance to complete a satisfying project. If only Hobby King could get a grip on how well this plane stacks up, as you say "first one out of the blocks" and able to stand up to the others in the market. I know there are persons within H-K trying to proceed with some renewed enthusiasm for it and it deserves it, in spite of the difficulties.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:19 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Some more Bryan Cox. No doubt there's some kind of copywright but I can't see it. I'll have to hope he'll (and you ) forgive me.
Interesting read, thanks KK, I've enjoyed a lot of your quotes & vids
Also interesting about the auto power control units... I can only imagine how restrictive these would've been to a seasoned pilot, if it would've been possible I reckon an inflight option to use either auto or original manual system would have been optimal. But then again, while green pilots were thrown into these things the auto unit would have made the plane a lot easier to manage while the new pilots were finding their "wings", perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
... I wasn't surprised to read that AussieHoppy is considering getting another one of these P-40s...
First question...
Did I read somewhere that a Version2 is being considered?
If so, is this a given just biding time? Or is this more of a hopeful?

Way back as a pre-teen I had 2 fave warbirds- the ubiquitious Sopwith Camel, and the P40... and the love affair continues today...
I figure I have all the electronics to fit out 2 of these HK P40's, the HK replacement retracts I have 2 sets of them now as well as the WingSpan 100 deg rotating retracts etc etc... so I figure Black Beauty will end up a partially scale detailed version which I hope to record some flight vids of, but for all the time & effort I dont want to risk serious damage, so I would prefer to fly her on more special occasions, becoming a shelf queen to be adorned
But... I know I have a weak spot for certain WWII period rc warbirds (eg P40, P47, P51), and I know this P40 is going to be loved, and well flown.... hence the ever growing temptation to get a second HK P40 and fly her as is without further scale mods, just decent electronics for reliability...

Second question, on the note of these retracts, is there a reasonably easy way to mod them to lower more fwd, like 100 deg rake, to avoid nose overs?
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:14 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,874 Posts
Aussie.. - Post #4263

Stuart mentioned a V2 but as a very remote possibility, I feel like no change there, just a hopeful. They must have ample stock of the present types at the moment.

On the retracts, only mod I know of is to space/shim up the back two mounting lugs by putting washers underneath. Not much else I can see to do, maybe try progressively moving back the c.g. I'm at about 105mm as I recall and plane behaves fine. Still very much a newcomer to flying it though.

My attraction to these planes could read a lot like yours, from very early in life.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:24 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
983 Posts
I still want one of these planes... just hard for me to justify the shipping costs... Maybe someday....
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Thanks for the kind response AussieHoppy. Never quite sure how some, or should that be all, of my posts go down.
The thing is... the reason I brought this plane first and foremost was that it was a P40. Over the time I've had this model I've learnt a lot about the model AND the real plane and it's history. That's all very much a part of it to me. A BIG part.
No-one will buy this plane because of their love of Scott or Stuart. Sorry Stuart we love you but that's not why we buy this plane We buy it because we love the REAL P40. It's shear ' gutsiness' is the best way I can desribe it. Of all the WW2 fighters. Just love it.
And if you HAVE to have a P40 then you should have this HK one. NO DOUBT about it. Just for it's looks alone IMO.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
After reading about the P40's exploits during WW2 the Finn Brothers ( Split Ends !! ) were inspired to new heights !
Finn Brothers - "Won't Give In" (5 min 32 sec)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:10 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,995 Posts
hey Aussie,

The new metal trunion retracts work fine but seeings that you need to open them up to swap out the retract pins, you might as well make the easy mod to have a simulated mismatch in the swing of the gear. The Metal trunion gear moves noticeably slower than the original. I have used the motor and gear from each of the new and orginal gear to mismatch the timing. I haven't adjusted rake on the Angry Bee but I have made sure that there is no slop to cause toe-in....or worse toe-out. That will cause unwanted breaking and the nose over.

Time for Stuart to chime in on the spares timing and possible V2 ??
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:29 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,777 Posts
As soon as CNY is fully over, I should be able to give an update regarding spares.

S.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:02 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,995 Posts
Thanks Stu for the update.

I woint be flying anything for a few weeks anyway but it would be nice to know spares are available so we can all fly with confidence and give this model more exposure. It has had nothing but praise when ever it makes it to the club.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined May 2010
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Thanks for the kind response AussieHoppy. Never quite sure how some, or should that be all, of my posts go down.
Mate, your posts are always a great read! I generally read them while at work with my not-so-smart phone, seeing as I'm generally only home to shower, eat & sleep heh heh
And the bonus is that your posts keep this thread alive... but truely, I for one appreciate your historical posts... dont be shy, please!

BTW the pilot of that P40 was one lucky chap, getting home with your tail shot to hell like that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
hey Aussie,
The new metal trunion retracts work fine but seeings that you need to open them up to swap out the retract pins, you might as well make the easy mod to have a simulated mismatch in the swing of the gear. The Metal trunion gear moves noticeably slower than the original. I have used the motor and gear from each of the new and orginal gear to mismatch the timing. I haven't adjusted rake on the Angry Bee but I have made sure that there is no slop to cause toe-in....or worse toe-out. That will cause unwanted breaking and the nose over.
Time for Stuart to chime in on the spares timing and possible V2 ??
Thanks Jay
The WingSpan retracts have dip switches on each retract for reversing & slow/fast, I was going to set one fast & the other slow, same idea
I remember reading one of your previous posts on this, great idea swapping one of the motor/gear set ... the other idea I had is I have some servo sequencer units that I was going to add to the system to literally have one leg raise at a time, so the 2nd leg wouldnt raise/lower until after the 1st leg was in position... I'll bench test this theory before I swap motor/gear set.
I really do wish there was a way to increase fwd rake mechanically (i dont want my legs hanging down from simple shimming, if I can avoid it)... I modded my FMS P51 to have fwd rake and O-M-G it made nose-overs a distant thing of the past, now ground handling is an absolute breeze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
As soon as CNY is fully over, I should be able to give an update regarding spares.
S.
Wonderful news there, Stuart!
Gives me a whole lot more confidence to buying another P40

While we have your attention, just a tad OT... (my excuse is your twin motored avatar caught my attention heh heh)... wondering if anyone will ever contemplate manufacturing an F7F Tigercat... these birds look fast just sitting on the tarmac!
I was looking at scratch building one but I think it'll be years before I have the time to do that... 1700mm would be a perfect size... and if a decent capacity battery cant be placed into the fuselage, I was going to look at a battery in each of the motor nacelles. I reckon it wouldn't take much to make an F7F into a speed demon, given the quite streamlined airframe...
I've even considered bastardising the Airwing P38 (1600mm?) into something that vaguely looked like an F7F, purely out of desperation lol
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:06 PM
Joined May 2010
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Correction.... another is on the way...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:18 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
That's our last Corsair (RNZAF's) there. Another day at the circus. In good hands touch wood. It's also one of the last of dads P40's !!!! Fingers crossed.
Ah well ... they're nice to see. Make the most of it.
WoW '13 Mustang Corsair Kittyhawk (8 min 19 sec)
Corsair NZ5648 New Zealand return and flight (1 min 50 sec)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:33 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post

While we have your attention, just a tad OT... (my excuse is your twin motored avatar caught my attention heh heh)... wondering if anyone will ever contemplate manufacturing an F7F Tigercat... these birds look fast just sitting on the tarmac!
I was looking at scratch building one but I think it'll be years before I have the time to do that... 1700mm would be a perfect size... and if a decent capacity battery cant be placed into the fuselage, I was going to look at a battery in each of the motor nacelles. I reckon it wouldn't take much to make an F7F into a speed demon, given the quite streamlined airframe...
I've even considered bastardising the Airwing P38 (1600mm?) into something that vaguely looked like an F7F, purely out of desperation lol
Never say never

S.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:57 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
Never say never

S.
Hi stu
You and Scott are tarred with the same brush, must be pommy thing, You make all these comments to tease us and leave us guessing, I kinda thought I might have a quiet year because so far the only things I want are 9xr with module that uses the handle antenna and the mk24 spit, if you send the 1m hurricane to au, I will buy one of them also.

Gary
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac