SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:27 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Scale speeds...(allow me, oh no not again !! ). See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4222
"entry speed for loops 300mph....... Divide by 6 = 50mph.
"400mph plus"................................... Divide by 6 = 66.6666mph plus.
Does that sound right ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33szNbF4Hgg
The scale speed argument is one that has been beat to death and most likely will not be settled here in this thread either but I will offer my perspective anyway! You can't simply scale the speed of the full size to that of the model in most cases and expect to have a model that emulates the full size in flight. Realism in flight has as much to do with maintaining scale bank angles, climb rates, turning radius, etc. as it does with straight line speed. If your model is flying at scale cruise speed but has to do so at an unscale nose high attitude and falls out of anything other than a flat turn then it's not flying scale, sorry. In my opinion it's better to fly a bit faster than scale so that other flight charactertics can be maintained in a scale like fashion. My .02 cents of course.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:45 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,875 Posts
Hey, Chad,
my view is a lot like yours. The scale "math" doesn't hold up always. An you're so right about it being 'beat to death' in countless discussions prior to now.

There are so many subconscious ques that work on us to give that elusive impression. One, I think, is the energy we feel watching a full scale do it's thing at high throttle settings and speeds. You just gotta' make a model zip along trying to exude that and it calls for it being probably too fast for the scene.

Somehow, with these electrics, some combinations of wind and prop noise seem to make a subdued statement of that to which I'm still adapting. I like it and before I got into the electric side of this, I was all for the i.c. motors and systems.

I guess it's a combination of factors that make for the best impressions and it's all subjective from there.

Kkk, the video is quite unique. Enjoyed it - those P-40s were moving right along on those fly-byes.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:39 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Its not surprising that scale math doesn't hold up. A big contributor to the scale is the fact that the air and that hasn't been scaled with the plane. It may not seem like much, but the air's viscosity and friction would have a vastly different effect on a scale model to a full scale aircraft. Its one of the same reasons why large birds (feathered variety) can glide long distances but small ones have no choice but to flap their wings.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Hawk , I started a thread on the new FMS rotating gear for the 66" Corsair .
I think they would be a great match for the P40 .
$69 and they come with two wheels and working struts
the motor body is too long so you would have to loose the retract door opening servo. The wheels are thinner, almost half the width, but same diameter. Axle is too short to swap the P40 wheel and havent tried changing axle yet.

The Mounting holes are the same and there is little or no toe in/out play. Also the turn/twist mechanism is much simpler.

Havent mounted em yet, but they do look good.
mwmac69 is offline Find More Posts by mwmac69
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Just on the scale discussion, as Tig says air does not scale. As our planes are 1/6th scale the mass of our model at 1/6th scale would be in the order of hundreds of kilo's. So scale flight is only ever going to be subjective.
mwmac69 is offline Find More Posts by mwmac69
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:06 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,699 Posts
mwmac69 - any chance of some pictures ?

tignmeg - with these 'lighter than air' foam planes maybe some of the 'old' ideas about model scale flying will go out the window?
Kaikokid is offline Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:14 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,875 Posts
From post #2081:

"The wing pockets measure out to: 20 mm wide, 36.5 mm long, 25 mm deep. Screw holes, 35mm wide, 26 mm front to back.

These are just for the mounting area."

I hope you can post images of how that all fits. I'm surprised that the mounting holes match. Doing away with the retract door servo can be worked around.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:32 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,996 Posts
To add to the scale discussion, the appearance of scale performance so often depends on how the model is moving relative to its background to give the right illusion. For example, if it is flying low next to a fence or similar that betrays its scale, no speed change will be convincing. If however, it has clouds in the background it's movement relative to the clouds is what would make the illusion believable. I would have at a bet, it would be significantly faster that 1/6th of actual scale and be closer to actual. I'd like my P-40 to have an extra 60kph or 40 mph to appear more believable at 50-100 yards away......just personal though.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,699 Posts
Curtis P-40N Kittyhawk (2 min 22 sec)

In the near future?? Just like the HK P40 V2 ?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,699 Posts
In the light of the last video... what do you think about this?
It's Time to Stop Flying Our Warbirds and Other Vintage Aircraft! (Warbird Crash Collage) (3 min 44 sec)

My thoughts. He's right.
The planes that are been 'restored' these days are virtually replicars anyhow. Just as good as the real thing. Maybe only replicars should still be flying?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:00 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,875 Posts
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJfe-r-1HY
My thoughts. He's right.
The planes that are been 'restored' these days are virtually replicars anyhow. Just as good as the real thing. Maybe only replicars should still be flying?
It seems inappropriate to lump the unlimited air racers into an argument for saving heritage. The airplanes are so different and reworked that they're in a class of their own along with the skills of the crews to keep them flying. However, watching the Corsairs go down seems a greater than usual loss because no one builds any true full replica of them.

What escapes so many of these enterprises, to my mind, is that these machines were commissioned and for military and war use and they came with strict requirements that could only be served by an entire maintenance crew for each plane with intense training. The flying crews got the same kind of attention and responsibility.

In the business and/or "sporting" world, the commitment to that kind of thoroughness to really keep these machines in their best possible condition is questionable. It's a sad situation in some respects but the planes are their babies. I don't see our government getting any kind of support to do what the host in the video was asking plus, it would enter into an even larger mess than is happening now if the government would step in, as has happened with so many other projects entrusted to them.

Just a point of view. There's more to the picture, like the fever that runs through some of these events that causes men to lose their wits and have tragedy meet them.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:38 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,996 Posts
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJfe-r-1HY
My thoughts. He's right.
I had tickets to that race in Reno when the P-51 went into the stands but gave them to a friend from here at RCG due to work and timing hiccups. The plane crashed when they were at a food stand and was only a 100 yards or so away from their seats. Fate Huh.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:46 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,507 Posts
mw , glad they may work for you , you may want to lose the wing door servos and simply link the doors to the retracts legs similar to the LX P40 .
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,699 Posts
NZ has only one ex- RNZAF Corsair left, 'Josephine'.http://www.warbirdregistry.org/corsa...fg1-88391.html
More on its history here..http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi...d=10604&page=1
Name: Document109-1.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 51.1 KB
Description:
As I understand it it was sold by Mr Asplin in 1970 for a little over $8,000. NZ is lucky to see it back here now. Anything could have happened to it when overseas under foreign ownership and it's at some risk now as its regularly out flying at air shows.
Name: Zero_560.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 51.0 KB
Description:
This Zero was a RNZAF war prize. It's on display at the Auckland Museum.
So what would NZ be left with if 'our ' Corsair was to crash and burn ?