SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:12 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,664 Posts
"As for the name ?? ( American slan ? You'll have to tell us Jack )"

Brent, I have little idea about that. Somewhere, out of the 'ethers' maybe...sounds like a name from old world folk-lore or something. Isn't American slang that I know of. What a name for a warplane, though!

And, yes, the Aussies seemed to have made great use of all those P-40s!!
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:54 PM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLine19k View Post
I sent you a PM months ago saying i had 2 of these NIB only an hour away. Never heard back.
Still have this?? Not too far away... and I have some relatives near there.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:38 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
Still have this?? Not too far away... and I have some relatives near there.
Yes, i have 2 of the silver/orange ones. PNP or whatever the one with everythign but the Rx is. It doesnt seem like i'll be able to build or fly em so, PM for details. I only opened the boxes to look em over. They have the slight dog-eared flaps, one has cracked exhaust but not as bad as some from Hk and you know what you are getting. I would not want to ship them again tho.
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
Last edited by RedLine19k; Feb 01, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:01 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,664 Posts
JForbes -

The boxes are the size of a small refrigerator!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:00 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,511 Posts
More music. Useful if you want to mod the gear doors... pitot tube ....gun covers...see what a balanced spinner looks like ...and hear a sound system. How are those sound systems going I wonder ?
I couldn't stand were some of those people are after seeing Aros's video.
Engine: Allison v1710 in P-40 (3 min 6 sec)

Or you could go back to Split Enz.
Rob / Ray - we're getting some of your surplus rain. Thankyou.
JForbes - Hope you do decide to buy one of these and give it a new AMERICAN livery.Would make a nice change wouldn't it ?
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:54 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLine19k View Post
Yes, i have 2 of the silver/orange ones. PNP or whatever the one with everythign but the Rx is. It doesnt seem like i'll be able to build or fly em so, PM for details. I only opened the boxes to look em over. They have the slight dog-eared flaps, one has cracked exhaust but not as bad as some from Hk and you know what you are getting. I would not want to ship them again tho.

PM Sent.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,511 Posts
Found this posted over here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11212181/tm.htm Just something to keep us in touch.
Chuck and Rich P40s FDL 2011 (10 min 56 sec)

Bryan Cox again - " The most enjoyable exercise we performed was the line astern aerobatics' with 4 P40's in open line astern. This was no doubt designed to give us experience in throwing the aircaft around in close proxity to other aircraft, as in a dogfight. The leader was always one of the instructors who were experienced combat pilots and he would take us to about 10,000 ft then commence up to 30 mins continuous aerobatic manoeuvers, generally consisting of loops, rolls, upward rolls, roll off the top of loops and half-rolls. Entry speeds were about 300 mph for loops, 330mph for rolling off the top of loops, and over 400mph would give several upward rolls depending on the rate of roll. With more than four tons of streamlined metal wapped around you, it was quite easy to reach these speeds by merely pushing the nose down with no power increase necessary. At such speeds, which were indicated airspeeds, it was not difficult to black youself out by being a little rough on the controls - Bob Liddle's advice in the old Tiger still held good. Although hard to believe now, I had less appreciation then of the difference between indicated and true airspeeds than the average private pilot does today! Nor was the relationship between compressibility and the speed of sound known at the time - all we knew was that at some extremely high speed the air would stop flowing over the wings and fuselage and compress, causing the aircraft to break up.
I fequently seemed to draw #4 position at the rear of the group and would achieve frightening speeds due to the whiplash effect of being at the end. On one occasion I vividly recall, F/O Pat Bradlley was leading the section with myself at the rear, and after a number of continuous manoeuvers we all got strung out a little and to catch up I applied almost full power and was gaining on the front 3 aircraft at a great rate, at least 50mph faster than they were flying. Just as I began to decelerate, Pat Bradley and the other 2 Kittyhawks rolled on their backs right on 6000ft to pull through underneath as in the second half of a loop. I immediately rolled inverted with them, notwithstanding that I was travelling much faster than they were, and about twice as fast as one would normally be at the top of the loop! By the time I was pointing vertically downwards the ground was rushing up at a frightening speed, and without time to look inside at the airspeed indicator or altimeter I found that I was commencing to black out. Trying to restrict the back pressure on the stick so as not to black out too violently I had a momentary blurred vision of green grass and fences at close quarters before once again enjoying the reassuring sight of beautiful blue sky. It took me some time to rejoin the rest of the section still exercising up above, and I realised why P40s fairly regularly dug deep holes in the ground around the Feilding and Marton areas, and also knew what it felt like when expecting such an impact to be imminent."

Bryan Cox started his own very succesfull business in 1966, the " Manukau Flying School. He became the Chief Flying Instructor with Motor Holdings Aviiation Ltd.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:12 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Those are too noisy! I sure am glad more and more are electric these days! Welcome to the future!!!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:40 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,664 Posts
In touch..., in deed..!

Smooth flying there and those were super landings. I can't help but comment that they seem to have 25 or so acres to fly over! Very nice field. I figure I make do with about 3 to fly over at a school field and really get to 'stretch out' with 10 at a construction site for the P-40N.

Gosh, I wouldn't mind the noise if weren't just, well, noise. Hard to relate the sound of the two strokes to flying any more. If they were mine though, I'd probably be tickled they got along so well. Still would like to see and hear an in-line 2.0 Saito twin performing in a P-40, Spitfire or P-51. Seems like it would be just right for about a 2m span plane.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Dec 2003
365 Posts
Any know where to get prop blades for this aircraft, what about the retract upgrade'
Thanks
Hawker007 is offline Find More Posts by Hawker007
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:32 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker007 View Post
Any know where to get prop blades for this aircraft, what about the retract upgrade'
Thanks
Prop Blades
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18911
Retract Upgrade
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=20969

They're both out of stock at the moment but they usually restock pretty regularly.

Tig
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:09 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,071 Posts
Hawk , I started a thread on the new FMS rotating gear for the 66" Corsair .
I think they would be a great match for the P40 .
$69 and they come with two wheels and working struts
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:52 AM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Hawk , I started a thread on the new FMS rotating gear for the 66" Corsair .
I think they would be a great match for the P40 .
$69 and they come with two wheels and working struts
Any chance of a link mate?
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:56 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
Any chance of a link mate?
Here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814939

Until he, or someone, can put up the center-to-center distances between the mount screw holes and the dimensions of the part of the unit that fits down into the wing pocket, no telling how it would fit into the H-K P-40N without heavy modification. My hunch is that the units are a good bit larger than the stock plastic pockets.

He shows the overall length, retracted, to be 8 1/2". Measurement of the same thing on this P-40 is 8 3/16" so is too long to fit as is into the plane. He shows the unit body length to be 3 5/8" whereas the same part on the P-40N is just 3" .
Last edited by gnats82; Feb 08, 2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added content...
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,511 Posts
Scale speeds...(allow me, oh no not again !! ). See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4222
"entry speed for loops 300mph....... Divide by 6 = 50mph.
"400mph plus"................................... Divide by 6 = 66.6666mph plus.
Does that sound right ?
RAAF Kittyhawks in World War 2 (1 min 23 sec)