HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:09 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
Discussion
Looking for some good 4S 5000s for my Wind 110

The title says it all. I have a Wind 110 that I'm looking for some new batteries for. I really don't want to spend what Thunder Power is asking but then I really would like something more durable than my Zippys. Got any recommendations?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Mar 22, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:01 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Hmm, in a different thread you illustrated the difference between TP and the cheap packs, and this was with TP ProLite's, designed to be light versus say their 45's or 65's, designed to rip the covering off your plane. Have you tried a set of TP 3,850 mAh 65C packs? $139 per pack seems pretty fair, fly them 300 cycles and your per-flight cost is under a dollar. Charles has a set of 45C TP's (previous generation) with over 700 cycles...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:11 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
3850 mah is too small for comfort for me. I'm sure if I was just going up and flying one sequence and then landing I'd be fine but I like to practice a little longer than that.

Of course, in that thread I also noted that the Zippys were old... and in this will be their 3rd season. I also didn't mention that the TP packs were way out of balance when I went to wake them up from the storage state my PL8 put them in at the end last season. In fact, after the PL8 charged them I still wasn't happy with the balance difference and I popped them on my TP210 balancer to get them even. Also, of those packs you sent me that you stated (and I believe) were lightly used, one of the 5S packs ballooned. The other is just fine. I still think the TP packs are a little too pricey for what they are.

I dunno... Hopefully I get some responses here and I'll make my choice. TP isn't completely out of the running at this point.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
...Also, of those packs you sent me that you stated (and I believe) were lightly used, one of the 5S packs ballooned. The other is just fine. I still think the TP packs are a little too pricey for what they are.

I dunno... Hopefully I get some responses here and I'll make my choice. TP isn't completely out of the running at this point.
Lightly used might even be overkill, they were used 3 times. Thunder Power has the best warranty in the biz, send the ballooned pack back and it wil be replaced, if you have any issues at all, let me know...

Jack
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
Never left one up there yet...
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
I'm going to try the new Turnigy nano's..........when they come back in stock.

Cheers

MJ
mdjohnson is offline Find More Posts by mdjohnson
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Lightly used might even be overkill, they were used 3 times. Thunder Power has the best warranty in the biz, send the ballooned pack back and it wil be replaced, if you have any issues at all, let me know...

Jack
I asked that back in the late summer when it happened. I was told that without the sales receipt they couldn't help me. I cut the Deans off of it and set it outside. It's been there all winter. Do you think they will still honor it?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:48 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjohnson View Post
I'm going to try the new Turnigy nano's..........when they come back in stock.

Cheers

MJ
I've thought about those but the only Turnigy pack I ever had puffed after one flight. It wasn't over discharged... That's been quite awhile ago but I haven't been too interested in getting any more of them. Also, they are kind of heavy, don't you think?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
I asked that back in the late summer when it happened. I was told that without the sales receipt they couldn't help me. I cut the Deans off of it and set it outside. It's been there all winter. Do you think they will still honor it?
Let me take care of it for you, I still have your address from the WindS 110...

Jack
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:00 AM
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Nov 2004
127 Posts
Quote:
The title says it all. I have a Wind 110 that I'm looking for some new batteries for. I really don't want to spend what Thunder Power is asking but then I really would like something more durable than my Zippys. Got any recommendations?
I know a number of guys have had success with the Rhinos. They are a bit heavier though.
jlachow is offline Find More Posts by jlachow
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:03 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Let me take care of it for you, I still have your address from the WindS 110...

Jack
Well... Thanks Jack.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:12 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Well... Thanks Jack.
Don't mention it, I know the circumstances and understand why they would want a receipt but I also know why you don't have it. TP has always been more than fair to me and I'm sure if they'll understand. I sent an e-mail to my contact over there, let's see what he says...

Jack
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:48 AM
Devon, Alberta
Joined Apr 2003
200 Posts
I'm by no means an authority on this topic but I know how a lot of people around these parts feel. I think that most people would agree that TP have some of the best quality batteries. Unfortuantly that quality comes at a cost. My feeling is that for competition I would use nothing but TP but for everyday use I have had great success with the Turnigy Nanos. I also do some RC boating and those things pull alot of amps. The Nanos so far have been up to the task. As far as price you can get 2 to 3 paks for the price of one TP. So for me I guess it's what you are going to do with the packs and how much you can afford.

Tim
Tim2 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:43 PM
Never left one up there yet...
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
I've thought about those but the only Turnigy pack I ever had puffed after one flight. It wasn't over discharged... That's been quite awhile ago but I haven't been too interested in getting any more of them. Also, they are kind of heavy, don't you think?
They are a bit heavier but the Wind 110 has absolutely no problems with the weight. Guys are also using 10s packs which are way heavier with no problems with performance.

I have been using the regular blue Turnigys for over a year now with my Wind and have not had one puff yet. I have 6 5000 4s batteries that make up 3 packs. I always charge them in sync so they have been matched in pairs from day 1. I always make sure they have a store charge on them even if I plan to go flying in a couple of days. I also only charge them to 95% capacity at 2c. So far.........touch wood.......they have been flawless.

Cheers

MJ
mdjohnson is offline Find More Posts by mdjohnson
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
Well that sounds pretty good. I might give them a try.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
+1 on the blue Turnigys. I have lots of them 5-6S up to 5000 mAh. Some are a year old now. If cared for, they seem to be lasting. None are puffed and flight times are holding up well. Now I'm not flying competition either so in that arena I guess guys do spend more to cover all the bases? Anyway, where I fly, I do notice that how some folks treat their lipos seems to make a difference LOL! Good Flying! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania