SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Quick61, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:25 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,685 Posts
Discussion
Here we go

It was suggested that I start on the blog portion of this most excellent site, so here I am.

Maybe I should start with a bit about me and RC flying. When I was a young'un back in the 70's I had built a balsa 2 channel "trainer" plane with one of those little cox motors. It was just an R/E trainer with the motor set before takeoff and you were suppose to let go and fly her off and not land until the gas ran out. I spent so much time building that plane and it just looked so good I never had the nerve to actually fly the thing. It just hung from my light in the bedroom. Then in the early 80's I laid eyes on my first RC helicopter. i stopped and watched a bunch of guys flying them in a park in Phoenix AZ. Next thing you know, one of the guys was selling me his old Cricket. I actually flew that thing. nothing fancy but was able to take off, hover, fly around, and land. All without the aid of a gyro. Today I read that the Cricket is one of the hardest heli's to learn to fly. As things go, there was the wife, kid, then another kid, then another wife with 2 more kids.. well you get the picture, no more Cricket. Now the kids have kids of their own and the wife has an X in front of it which means RC aircraft, HERE I COME!!!!

Had been thinking about getting back into heli's again when I happened across RCGroups and as fate would have it, stumbled onto Foamies (Scratchbuilt) Forum. One good look and I was hooked. Within a week I had ordered radio, motor, props, Lipo, ESC and built a Cheap-n-Easy. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=cheap+n+easy) Taught myself to fly on that build and it is still one of my favorites. After that success I tried a few others like the M-Tee-Plate which I then modified into a KFm4'ish build (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...kfm4+tee+plate) that one was a lot of fun to fly and was a stepping stone to flying a Divinity wing. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=divinity+42).

Now I'v gone and done it. Flying wings rule!!! I have had so much fun and success with that flying wing I really got hooked. After wrapping my first Divinity around a tree to the point it was looking like an environmental wacko giving that Maple a hug,gluing it back together and had it in the air once again, gone were the days of thinking this plane is too pretty to fly. This is just foam, and if it gets too smacked up, well, I GET TO BUILD ANOTHER ONE, which, for me, is almost half the fun.

Just recently, I put some effort into designing and building a wing that fit on a single sheet of Dollar Tree foam board, that flies very well without winglets, and will handle a wide range of motors and props. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408567) Every time I toss this wing to the wind I am liking it more and more. Now flying Version 2 with an AUW of 5.19oz this little wing will cut through a 10 mph wind and keep on flying. Next up is to drop the motor and try sloping with it. Stay tuned for that one because I think it will do alright. Or at least good enough to be a dual purpose wing. That's it for now, I'v posted a few pics below of some of what I have done.
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Last edited by Quick61; Mar 23, 2011 at 08:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Good to see you've finally made it into the RC flying hobby. Many years ago as a teenager, back in the late 60s, early 70s, I flew control line with Cox .049 motors but marriage, kids and career took a back seat to my dream of flying radio control.

3 years ago my wife bought me an RC trainer and I've been having a blast with it ever since. Do you have a link to the plans for the Cheap-N-Easy? I've got a sheet of depron foam doing nothing at the moment.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:33 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
Good to see you've finally made it into the RC flying hobby. Many years ago as a teenager, back in the late 60s, early 70s, I flew control line with Cox .049 motors but marriage, kids and career took a back seat to my dream of flying radio control.

3 years ago my wife bought me an RC trainer and I've been having a blast with it ever since. Do you have a link to the plans for the Cheap-N-Easy? I've got a sheet of depron foam doing nothing at the moment.
That C&E really does not need plans to build. Though I see what I did, I linked to rcrich's blog and not the build thread HERE --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=cheap+n+easy. I'll fix that right now. There is a set of sketchup plans there but I just printed it out on a single sheet of paper with the dimensions and laid it out on the foam board. All straight cuts and very easy to build. Lots of vids on the thread. If your going to build one, (and I think EVERYONE should have at least one of these), set your CG somewhere in the prop slot. I fly mine between the center of the prop slot to the back, depending on how much wind there is and what kind of flying I want to do that day. Start out with your CG somewhere just forward of center of the prop slot to center and that should get you going. Of course, your mileage may very.....

Post # 39 in the build thread has the Sketchup plans http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=39
Post #16 has rcrich's description of the layout. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=16
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:44 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Thanks
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:41 PM
Account Closed
Joined Jun 2009
118 Posts
B-Rang

That B-Rang is one sweet looking wing. Is it flat on the bottom?
sharpewing is offline Find More Posts by sharpewing
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpewing View Post
That B-Rang is one sweet looking wing. Is it flat on the bottom?
Yes, It's a KFm2. Step on top at 50% cord, not counting the elevons. It flies real well with a little 10 gram motor and if you are putting anything bigger on it you really need the spars. I just used bamboo skewers to stiffen up the wings. Tried it once without the spars and powered by a BW 1300 (weighs in at 24g) with a 3s 860 battery and while it flew the flexing in the wings ended the flight before I wanted. Very easy build and cut from a $1.00 sheet of foam.

If your going to build one, go for a 10g motor like the Power Up 180, 6A -10A ESC and a 350 - 450 2s Lipo. Thin little wing will cut through the air like a knife.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
Account Closed
Joined Jun 2009
118 Posts
Duh, now I see the build log and video.
sharpewing is offline Find More Posts by sharpewing
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:39 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Cheap-n-Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpewing View Post
Duh, now I see the build log and video.
Seems odd there isn't more interest in a good first scratch build flyer. Might be like me, just discovered this from a Youtube video that happened to reference the name of a different flyer.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:17 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Seems odd there isn't more interest in a good first scratch build flyer. Might be like me, just discovered this from a Youtube video that happened to reference the name of a different flyer.
Do I take it you have seen the video of the B-rang? It is a real nice flyer, when built light and powered by a 10 -15g motor. Give it a try. snag up a 10 g motor and 10a ESC with a 350 -400 2s lipo and give it a go. you will be surprised at how well it flies. PM me if you have any questions or post them in the B-Rang thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408567

I'm still keeping a foot into foamies although as of late I have "GOTTEN WOOD" - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1535361

Mark
Last edited by Quick61; Nov 17, 2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Cheap-n-Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Do I take it you have seen the video of the B-rang? It is a real nice flyer, when built light and powered by a 10 -15g motor. Give it a try. snag up a 10 g motor and 10a ESC with a 350 -400 2s lipo and give it a go. you will be surprised at how well it flies. PM me if you have any questions or post them in the B-Rang thread - ... I'm still keeping a foot into foamies although as of late I have "GOTTEN WOOD" - Mark
I like the wing designs, but I was thinking of the Cheap-n-Easy as a first scratch build project for those interested in a first foam flyer that would probably make a good trainer. I have been focused on the simple designs that tend to fly well right off for a while. Recently I saw a few video of the Cheap-n-Easy flyers and one that is called a Big Slow Delta Wing. I think the two can be used to make a mixed concept flyer with the best of both designs. The Big Slow Delta Wing appeals because it is big, slow, stable, and can be used to carry a small camera. The idea being 1/2" insulation foam board is the basic material of the construction. One 4'x8' sheet can be enough material to make two. What I want to do is cut it out to hint the Cheap-n-Easy and add the extra rudder parts like the Big Slow Delta Wing, which double as landing gear and protect the propeller from ground contact. Seems like a logic mix of designs for a first foam flyer.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah