HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
25 Posts
Question
2nd plane after hz Champ

So I ve pretty much mastered my champ and still love to fly it, but I want to get a second plane now. I like champ because I can fly in my yard and not have to travel to a airfeild. I ve been thinking about getting another ultra micro from parkzone, but I dont know which one to get.
GreatestPilot is offline Find More Posts by GreatestPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:15 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
4,003 Posts
Sticking with the UM's there's the T-28 and (soon) the F4u that should be good for learning 4ch. They're both about $100. If you do want to upscale, the Super Cub LP should be a good next step. I'm still new to this myself, but I have a champ, a Super Cub, and an old version PZ P-51. Loving them all, and I can't wait to get another.

Good Luck
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
25 Posts
Ive been eyeing that new ultra micro corsair lol. I think i looks the best out of all the ultra micros. I 'd like to see a ultra mirco bf 109 that would be cool too.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Yeah, pick one of the UMs with ailerons like the T-28, P-51, or F4U. Once you're done crashing that you can move up to parkflier size planes if you have the room.

Oh, and since you already have the controller you can just get a BNF version and save some coin.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestPilot View Post
So I ve pretty much mastered my champ and still love to fly it, but I want to get a second plane now. I like champ because I can fly in my yard and not have to travel to a airfeild. I ve been thinking about getting another ultra micro from parkzone, but I dont know which one to get.
I went from Champ to UM T-28. It is a great plane, probably the least expensive option for the next step (4 channel). You can use the Champ radio if you like (or upgrade, I got the DX6i at Christmas). There's definitely some adjustment going to airlerons and the UM T-28 is a good way to do it (if you can get the wind <= 5 mph).

I'm in the process of going to that third plane to get something that will fly better in wind. I'm building a scratch-built foamy (Nifty plank). I've ordered the fuse and nose piece ($23) for a F-27C Stryker light build. I'm considering the F4F Wildcat for the next warbird.

I love my Ultra-Micros but after the UM T-28 I'm ready for something that can handle the wind a little better.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:17 PM
Trying to fly
Shickshinny, PA
Joined Oct 2007
137 Posts
I have been flying the Champ for a few months. I bought a UMT-28 and just made my maiden flight a few days ago. I had no problems at all.
I was flying with a Spektrum DX6i, and had programmed in some expo ( I hope I have that term right, I am still learning) to about 65% which slowed down the responses a bit. It all helped. Based on what I experienced, I think that is a good way to go.
I am self taught.
Rvrpaddlr is offline Find More Posts by Rvrpaddlr
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
25 Posts
could I fly with the stock radio and be just fine, or is the dx6i really that much better. I dont know if I can warrant the purchase of a 150 dollar radio for a 100 - 120 dollar plane. I understand that the dx6i can bind to multiple planes so you only need one radio but still, 150 dollars is lot to a teenger with no income lol.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:52 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
I think you'd be fine with the Champ radio (set it for dual rates at first) and it makes a lot of $ense.

I'm flying my Champ and my UM T-28 outdoors now that it is warmer (was flying in a college gym). I can't notice much difference flying the Champ on my DX6i vs. the Champ transmitter. Seems to fly about the same.

If you order your UM T-28 from HobbyZone, they will send you an email coupon worth 10% off on your next order (if you sign up). If you ever do buy a DX6i... you can then get the 10% off later.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:17 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
I went from the Champ to a S Cub, loved it .... still do! But a big old Appren 15e is a great jump to 4 ch IMHO!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:23 PM
Trying to fly
Shickshinny, PA
Joined Oct 2007
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestPilot View Post
could I fly with the stock radio and be just fine, or is the dx6i really that much better. I dont know if I can warrant the purchase of a 150 dollar radio for a 100 - 120 dollar plane. I understand that the dx6i can bind to multiple planes so you only need one radio but still, 150 dollars is lot to a teenger with no income lol.
Not having flown the UMt-28 with the Champ TX, but reading a lot about it, I think you would be OK. If you are on a budget, then any of the other planes are a way out of your budget range, as I see it.
My opinion only.
Rvrpaddlr is offline Find More Posts by Rvrpaddlr
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
Joined Mar 2011
25 Posts
Its not a question of price of the the plane its itself. its just at the present moment I would rather spend 150 dollars on a plane than a radio. if I end up buying more planes then I would consider spending the money to get the better radio. one would think if you took the time to make a plane RTF, that the stock radio would work with no problems, but with that said there is always room for improvement.