SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:09 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
Starmax 63" P-51 "Gunfighter": The Props.

I stripped down the prop paddles and got them a bit more scale....... In fact their a whole bunch more scale then before!

Like I mentioned before, Starmax list this prop at 16"X6X4, but by all my measurin' sticks I get 15"X6X4!

I've included a PDF file for D/L for those who would like to make their own Hamilton Standard & Spec. decals.

UP-DATE 4/03/2011:
I got a 4" Cub Yellow Spinner w/Aluminum Backing Plate from AirBorne Models to have a few other options for prop selection eg: the VarioPROP, and possibly a 2-Blade set-up? I must say I was pleased to see that the Cub Yellow was a close match to the Gunfighter's yellow. Now all I have to do is cut 2 more blade slots in it.

UP-DATE 6/26/2011:
As time's gone by it has become apparent that neither Starmax or Banana Hobby has any intentions of supplying replacement parts for the P-51 to a degree that we're needing them. My primary focus is the lack of a replacement motor and of course the much in demand prop adapters. For that reason I have decided to take that issue out of the equation, and re-design mine to accept multiple prop apps!

Using the AirBorne spinner and aluminum backing plate as my new base, I chucked the stock prop adapter in the lathe and turned it down so it would fit the 11mm B/P hole. I then turned the shaft down to 8mm, and ran an additional 1/2" of 8mm x 1.25 threads.

Another alternative would be the 4" Nylon Spinner from Hobby King. It's a cheaper alternative to the AirBorne spinner, but delivers the same results with either the VarioProp or 2-Blade options.

With these 2 spinners I now have the option of running my 12C Vario-Prop 4-Blade, any of the aftermarket 2-Blades, or even the stock blade set-up if I want to.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Dec 10, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts