HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:22 PM
Just registered
Mexico, COAH, Torreón
Joined Mar 2011
81 Posts
Help!
Which radio shall I get for a quadcopter?

Hi! It looks like we're just about to get our first quad, probably the Gaui 330x. I'm trying to figure out whether it's cheaper to get a full kit, including radio, on Ebay, like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GAUI-330X-S-Quad...item33660c16bd

Or whether to get the kit alone and get my own radio.

I'm somewhat dazed by all the different Tx/Rx kits out there; just looking for "Futaba 2.4GHz," Buy It Now, brings up a price range from 90 to 300 USD, and different labels--mode 2, mode 1, airplane, heli, indoor, sport, Fassst...will all of them work with the Gaui?

I'd appreciate your help greatly!

Nathan
NathanC is offline Find More Posts by NathanC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,543 Posts
If you are serious about quadchoppers and someday want to get one with GPS navigation you will need 8 or more channels.

The Futaba 8FGH that has a free firmware upgrade to 14-channels is my favorite best deal. The Hitech 9-channel and DX8 are also very popular. If you get the DX8 make sure it’s the DSMX version and not the obsolete DSM2 version.

You want mode 2 so that the stick represents the movement of your quadchopper. Be sure and get a helicopter version as it had a smooth throttle that’s required for hovering. The throttle ratchet on airplane transmitters makes it almost impossible to fly a chopper.

All receivers have the same servo interface so compatibility is not a problem. The only restriction is that the receiver has to be compatible with the transmitter. That usually means it has to be the same brand but there are a few exceptions.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:56 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
All DX8s are DSMX compatible. I think the very very early production units need to be sent in to the factory for the upgrade, but anything you find on shelves today is most likely upgradeable yourself via the SD card--if it doesn't have the new firmware in it already.
horseflesh is offline Find More Posts by horseflesh
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:56 PM
Just registered
Mexico, COAH, Torreón
Joined Mar 2011
81 Posts
Thanks to both of you for answering such a newb-y question. Some of the terms are still obscure to me (Fasst [or is it fassst?] vs fhss for example) but in general I think I have an idea of what to get now.
As far as I know the Gaui 330x I'm planning isn't upgradable to GPS yet; do you still think it would be better to invest in an 8CH radio rather than a 6? I'm trying to save wherever I can, but maybe this wouldn't be saving in the long run if I get a better quad later...I don't know.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:59 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,091 Posts
Nathan,

Always buy as much radio as you can afford. Eventually you'll need it and you won't be sorry if you buy something that you can grow into rather than grow out of. If you decide to get out of the hobby, higher-end products hold their value better. Either way, you are better off for buying the better product.

It applies to more than just radios - always get the best you can.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post
do you still think it would be better to invest in an 8CH radio rather than a 6? I'm trying to save wherever I can, but maybe this wouldn't be saving in the long run if I get a better quad later...I don't know.
The transmitter is potentially a long term investment. If you are not sure about staying with the hobby you might limit your risk by going for something like a DX6i. But if you stay with it, you'll be wishing in a couple of years that you had gone for the added flexibility of the DX8 or similar. It's not just a matter of number of channels. The programming flexibility is far greater for the DX8 than for the DX6i and it has essentially unlimited numbers of model memories instead of just 10.

But in the end only you can assess the respective risks of underbuying and overbuying.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:39 PM
Just registered
Mexico, COAH, Torreón
Joined Mar 2011
81 Posts
Well thanks, Andy, Daedalus--I'm convinced. Now I just have to convince my fellow investors
I heard Futaba has an 8 channel upgradeable to a 14? Do either of you know anything about that model?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:37 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,543 Posts
Futana 8FGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post
Well thanks, Andy, Daedalus--I'm convinced. Now I just have to convince my fellow investors
I heard Futaba has an 8 channel upgradeable to a 14? Do either of you know anything about that model?
I have an 8FGH that I upgraded to 14 channels about a month ago. I use it for multi rotor (Quad and Y6), airplanes and helicopters. All the new 8FG series of radios will have the 14-channel upgrade installed and they will be called the 8FG Super transmitters. If you find an old one in stock all you have to do is download the upgrade to your PC. Copy a few files to a SD card (instructions on Futaba web sight) and put the SD card in the transmitter. You flip the upgrade switch and turn on power and it does the upgrade for free. That’s definitely the best deal on the market today.

8FGH
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXGG2&P=ML

8FGH Super
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVCP&P=ML

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:46 PM
Just registered
Mexico, COAH, Torreón
Joined Mar 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have an 8FGH that I upgraded to 14 channels about a month ago. I use it for multi rotor (Quad and Y6), airplanes and helicopters. All the new 8FG series of radios will have the 14-channel upgrade installed and they will be called the 8FG Super transmitters. If you find an old one in stock all you have to do is download the upgrade to your PC. Copy a few files to a SD card (instructions on Futaba web sight) and put the SD card in the transmitter. You flip the upgrade switch and turn on power and it does the upgrade for free. That’s definitely the best deal on the market today.

8FGH
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXGG2&P=ML

8FGH Super
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVCP&P=ML

Neat! Now if only it were 200 dollars cheaper...
Old Jan 07, 2014, 04:21 PM
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but its new to me. I found this price online:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...-FUTK8010.html
Travelndog is offline Find More Posts by Travelndog