HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What type of exercise do you do to get more launch height?
Pushups 11 34.38%
Arms and upper body (excluding pushups) 15 46.88%
torso 21 65.63%
legs 15 46.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:51 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Poll
What workout do you do to get more launch height?

Guys,
I feel F3K is not just a skill requiring activity but also a physical one.
Outside of competitive equipment, you need some amount of brawn to go with the brains to be on top.

I was wondering what have you done to increase your launch height.

i think many of us can recall that , I believe, Mark suggested that one could do pushups to increase ones launch height.

If you were throwing to height 'X' and now are throwing higher, what did you do, outside of throwing form and changing planes, to help you attain new heghts?

If you are already a high thrower, what activities do you do that you feel help keep you at the top of the gaggle on launch?

If you work out, please describe the workout (number of set and reps, weights used, type of exercise, distance, etc.).

For some fun, I have started doing the perverbial pushup. I have yet to launch since starting them but do recall the last time an altimeter was in my plane I was throwing somewhere in the relm of 125-135 ft. When I first started doing pushups, I could only do a max of 6. YES that was it. Pudgey boy Frank is pathetic and weak. I asked around and found a website called hundredpushups.com and have been following their routine. I never worked out a day in my life but this at least gave me some sort of guidance(right or wrong, I do not know).

After several weeks of following the program, I can now do 21 pushups - better but nothing all that fantastic. Being a bit overweight at 210lbs and 6' 1", this can be a bit of a challenge. I am looking forward to my first flights to see if I have gained anything. hopefully the fun of doing them also has a side benefit of adding a little launch height. i will report here with my progress - good or bad.

If you have a story of how you gained some height, please post it here. I am sure it will be well appreciated.

If you are beginning a workout program and think it might add some to your height, post your results as you progress. For me, I was curious about how much time is needed to start to see some results. this is why I I am starting with just pushups to see what affect it may have. If you are like me, hearing about others might encourage more to join in and we can log eachothers results. The hundredpushups.com does have a way to log progress. Not sure if the data can be shared or not but it could be fun.

Looking forward to hearing of your successes and failures.

Thanks

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,506 Posts
I start off each morning with 50 one armed push-ups....for a warm up.

LOL

Seriously though, I improved my launch height by buying a Steig.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,913 Posts
12 ounce curls
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Ken, I've seen you. Installing flooring is a workout all on its own. I don't wish for your job but I wish for your strength!!

Don't gain anything sitting behind a desk except maybe increase endurance from typing.....
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:25 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,678 Posts
Working out can't hurt launch height, but the thing that's helped me the most is technique. Perfect your throw and you'll get extra height without straining. Also, learning to work those really tiny, really low bubbles of lift will make extra height just a bonus.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:26 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,267 Posts
im not a high launcher by any stretch... but I think some core workout will help too...
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:32 AM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,191 Posts
Day 1 Pushups 7x10 situps 7x25 dips 7x10
Day 2 run 10x sprints across the park until I almost gag
Day 3 7x10 chinups
Day 4 run again

Of course there are always skipped days for contests, etc but this is the plan.

The running only starts maybe 6 weeks before the contest season, the rest of the year I consider it enough to bike to work. I look for peak intensity because you never know when you will have to run for the plane and throw right after it.

This is a maintenance program, and I feel a bit of a plateau. Need to up it a bit now that the building season is over. I'm super skinny and I have to do all this or I will disappear.

2007 I was throwing 140', now 160-175 but the planes are better also.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:41 AM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
Guys,
I feel F3K is not just a skill requiring activity but also a physical one.
If you have a story of how you gained some height, please post it here. I am sure it will be well appreciated.
Looking forward to hearing of your successes and failures.
Thanks

Frank
That is an easy one Frank. Gain abdominals for strenghth, loose your belly to gain rotation speed and go jogging for ~3 to 4 miles at least three times per week to improve your footwork, legs and overall physical endurance. No booze, no cigarettes,and avoid eating junk food at the American Embassy.
I guarantee at least 30 ft extra without strained muscles.
Bruce Davidson has an excellent book on how to strenghten your core.
Enjoy,

Yves
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:06 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I was thinking a full core workout would help. The hundredpushups.com does have workouts for 200 situps and 200 squats for those who are interested. I do not buy their 6 weeks to attain these goals but I have been having fun with their format.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
I'm thinking the best excercise for improving launching is launching. But then I'm a terrible launcher.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,593 Posts
My regimen for better launches:

Wishful thinking
Lots of imagination
Review of others' launch videos
12-ounce curls
Repeat wishful thinking until exhausted

Seriously: I have been exercising regularly, mostly pushups and steady walking (a mile or more). It shows in how long I can stay on the field, and not collapse. Launching itself is (in my opinion) about 90% technique, but the exercises which have built endurance, increased muscle tone and aided flexibility have all helped me feel a lot better. I can launch at my best as long as I can stay on my feet, which is getting to be a pretty long time.

Guess what? I'm 6'1", 200+ pounds just like you; but, coming down in weight and going up in launch.

Maybe you can get out West sometime, fly with us here in the part of the country where everything is brown, all the time.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:25 PM
specked out
USA, VA, Sutherland
Joined Sep 2008
241 Posts
This one is kinda a no brainer, eat better, work out on a regular basis, practice technique and build speed on top of that
mccainml is offline Find More Posts by mccainml
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:57 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
866 Posts
I stopped eating chocolate

Seriously, I went on a diet and lost 10 pounds in three months and gained some flexibility and agility, went from 130-150 feet to about 170-180 feet without doing much. next on my agenda is losing 4 more pounds and start running a bit. As for stretching, I think stretching my arm to about 10 inches longer would help as well
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:02 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,196 Posts
I just throw as hard as I can, most every time.
The Poll needs a " No Workout "

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
Anyone have any association from a muscle group or workout to increased height like I use to do 'X' pushups and launch 'N' feet. I increased my pushups 20% and gained 5ft or something like that?

If not like this, how's about how long does it take to gain 20ft more doing a full regime of 'A', 'B, and 'C'?

For some like me who are too lazy to work out or do not have the time, it would be nice to see how much input results in how much return investment.

Thanks guys for the feedback.