Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Discussion
Chris Golds B-25 Mitchell, 1/6th scale

Here are photos of Chris's winter project. Inspired by the paint job he did on the ATRF model he assembled for Derek Colbourne, Chris has been bashing balsa since just before Christmas.

Just under 11ft span, 30lbs. 3400 Watts

Sequenced doors and retracts, operational bomb bay.

A sound system will be added now the maiden has established CG.

More details and photos once the 2nd flight takes place.

(Please don't think I am rude if I don't reply, I am un-retired again and busier than ever before)
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:44 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,334 Posts
Holy CRAP!!!!!!!
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Apr 2008
9 Posts
Wow!

Bl**dy fantastic model.....great photos too. Did you take the pics Robert?

Do you know if Chris sells plans for his designs? I heard that he did a Hampden a few years ago which I'd love to get a set of plans of.

Cheers.
Drake S.
duck stew is offline Find More Posts by duck stew
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:57 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck stew View Post
Bl**dy fantastic model.....great photos too. Did you take the pics Robert?

Do you know if Chris sells plans for his designs? I heard that he did a Hampden a few years ago which I'd love to get a set of plans of.

Cheers.
Drake S.
Most of Chris Gold's plans are available from Traplet Publications, and I suspect this Mitchell
was designed and built thru Quiet and Electric Flight magazine.
I don't subscribe to this mag right now, but I would assume that this model will be featured in it, in the near future.

BTW . The Handley Page Hampden is a Traplet plan.

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:22 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thank you for the compliments.
@ Drake, yes I am the stills bloke in the team. I have been scrabbling around on my belly for 20 years now to get the upward shot of the nose that Chris likes.

As Ian says the Hampden was actually a Hendon (The inline engine version), most of Chris's back catalogue is available at

http://shop.traplet.com/browse.aspx?c=51

A search for Chris Golds under my RCG user name will bring up plenty of threads on RCG, I have shared a fair few on here over the past 10 years.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:47 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
I had a look for the Hendon thread, that was one that I deleted when the site admins decided that 3 blokes in North Devon were a business whose activities threatened the livelihoods of the site sponsors They went through a phase of issuing me with warnings for simply sharing what we were buliding.
The F4 Phantom is still in product announcements
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:34 PM
Charles Sherman
Victoria BC
Joined Sep 2009
277 Posts
It's the real full scale plane - he's just messing with us
csherman is offline Find More Posts by csherman
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:18 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
As Ian says the Hampden was actually a Hendon (The inline engine version), most of Chris's back catalogue is available at

http://shop.traplet.com/browse.aspx?c=51

Rob, your photos are really nice, and I must say Chris has a great band of mates around him
for his 'maiden flights'................that record all his fine efforts!!! Well done.

O'h, I believe the Hampden was a HEREFORD with the Napier Dagger engines..............upright??? was what you may have been thinking?

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:20 PM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
Quote:
As Ian says the Hampden was actually a Hendon (The inline engine version)
Hi Robert,
Wasn't the inline (Napier Dagger) version of the Hampden actually the Hereford? The Hendon was I think a Fairey product. I thought I'd better chime in, as Chris' model of the Hereford is now with me...
Paul W.
paulbw is offline Find More Posts by paulbw
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
That's what comes from getting old and not referring to the little book!

You are right!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:01 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,870 Posts
Great looking Mitchell! Be sure to pass on a hearty congrats on the maiden .

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:08 PM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
844 Posts
Beautiful! A tremendous model! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:41 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Flights 2 and 3

Flight 2 to test the Aileron-Rudder couple and the Elevator flap mixing set up after the maiden flight.

Flight 3 increased Aileron throw.

Just about sorted now but the tail still hangs a bit low in coordinated turns, that is easily rectified for flight 4.
Last edited by Robert May; Mar 28, 2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:42 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,225 Posts
Does Chris eat and sleep like us mere mortals?? I do look forward to his articles/newsletters and wish I could build more of his fantastic models --- have Canberra, Venom, BV, and a box full of Beverley parts! --- but my days are only 24 hours long -- would love to watch him work to see how it is done.
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:43 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
Does Chris eat and sleep like us mere mortals?? I do look forward to his articles/newsletters and wish I could build more of his fantastic models --- have Canberra, Venom, BV, and a box full of Beverley parts! --- but my days are only 24 hours long -- would love to watch him work to see how it is done.
He is normally in his workshop before 5:30 each morning and puts in a solid 3 hours before breakfast. Having the discipline of finishing one model before starting the next is a big help and having to put together an article for the magazine also helps.

Chris is popping round this morning for a cup of tea, If there isn't a project in mind already today today is when I get to throw in the next daft idea. I will keep you posted on what is decided. It will probably be small this time round!