HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:41 AM
USA, MI, Olivet
Joined Sep 2009
189 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum AR6200 failures!!!

I just lost my third plane to a Spektrum AR6200 receiver failure I had a 6200 fail in my electric E-Flite LR1A Pogo. E-Flite 60amp pro esc with power 25 motor on 3s 2200mah bat. Total loss I had a 6200 fail in a electric H9 Piper Pawnee E-Flite power46 motor, 60 amp pro esc 4s battery 4 standard servos. Another total loss. Horizon replaced both of these receivers. They were both DOA not just a brown out. Now I just lost my New Glow powered .61 size Great Planes escapade due to yet another 6200 Rx failure. I don't know if this one was a brown out or complete failure as I was not able to recover the RX. All of these receivers were new in the box with all the right packaging and such and I am sure they were not clones of any type. They all had the little satellite receiver that comes with them. I know this last crash was also not due to low voltage on the receiver pack (JR 2300mAh Nimh 5 cell) as it still had 6.4v left in it. I have never had radio problems with any other Spektrum receiver and have had up to 20 in different models at a time. I just know I will never buy another. Any thoughts?
RCGill is offline Find More Posts by RCGill
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,753 Posts
Sorry to hear of your frustrating crashes.

You need to explain more about what happened. Did you simply lose control? Did the engine go to low throttle with failsafe? What exactly do you mean by "DOA"? The 6.4v you mention -- what sort of load did you use when measuring it?
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:22 AM
USA, MI, Olivet
Joined Sep 2009
189 Posts
The first two crashes were total loss of control and the electric motors shut down. due to altitude crashes resulted in total loss. both Rx's were doa. would not work period No bind no lights camera action. The glow power crash using "volt watch meter strip still claims battry in good shape. This crash was also total loss of control at a distance of about two hundred yards. The engine was at full throttle (Evo 120nx) and I could only watch in horror as it tried boring into a tree as it flew into the woods. This had a freshly charged JR 2300mAh 5 cell 6v nimh Rx battery pack. Oh this plane was using 5 servos, three standard st47's and two DS821's for aileron. I have and have had several Ar500's and both types of 6100's and never had an issue with those, just the 6200's with remote receiver.
Last edited by RCGill; Mar 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:37 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,753 Posts
The fact that the engine did not shut down indicates either that the receiver was still getting a signal, or that all power was lost or that the failsafe position was not correctly set. Did you do a final bind after you had finished setting up the radio in the model? Did you then verify that the throttle servo went to low if the transmitter was shut off?
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Did all 3 crashes occured on the same field? Could be due to interference.
Gerula is offline Find More Posts by Gerula
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:10 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,355 Posts
What transmitter are you using?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:27 PM
USA, MI, Olivet
Joined Sep 2009
189 Posts
Ok, first let me say the Rx came out of the box new. I bind the receiver before I make any adjustments to servos and throws. I have never done any failsafe adjustments to my spektrum radios/receivers. By the way this is a approx 1 year old DX7 TX. I mounted the satellite receiver on the dash of the cockpit just so that I can see the LED indicating I have a bind. I believe all power was lost as I had no controls at all and yes if you turned off the receiver the throttle would shut down. I was unable to recover the Rx as the plane hit the tree so hard there was nothing but toothpicks left!! I only found the satellite. I honestly believe that this Rx died on me too. Yes all three receivers died at the same field but why have none off my other spektrums been affected? I might mention that these crashes have happened over the last year with the last one (glow engine .61 Escapade) a couple days ago. I know a lot off things can affect an RF signal and I try to follow all the manufacturer's suggestions on installment, but this is really frustrating especially in these hard times. I sold off a lot of my electrics (planes) and equipment to build this glow powered model and now I don't have a way to replace it.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:39 PM
USA, MI, Olivet
Joined Sep 2009
189 Posts
OK I got a question for you radio whizzes? Its been a few years since I worked in broadband communication but by any chance is This 2.4ghz somewhere near the microwave frequency bandwith. My field is in the country (sticks! private farmland) however it is near railroad and there is a rail tower that uses microwave transmission about 3/4 mile parallel to my field . Maybe microwave killing my Rx's?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:46 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGill View Post
.... I try to follow all the manufacturer's suggestions.....
This statement is a bit contrary to this previous line but anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGill View Post
.... I have never done any failsafe adjustments to my spektrum radios/receivers.
This is a manufacturer very important step and one that is most certain almost a MUST DO step. It prevents models from going into full throttle situations.

OF course many things can affect signal BUT unless you are a FAA accident expert its going to be very hard to determin the cause more so when you are no longer on site looking at the wreckage.

Its no secret spektrum rx is sensitive to low power situation and they could very well re-boot or brownout in many situations.

Did you notice what the RX led was doing after the crash? Probably not because of the situation and where the crash happened right?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:23 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,474 Posts
After having some issues with Spektrum and spending some time trying to figure out the problem I finally tried a different brand name system and have had no issues for over a year. If your installations are the problem then you may very well have issues with any system you try to use. I installed my new system in the same way that I had installed my Spektrum system. After a year of use with no issues I can only assume that the Spektrum system has issues and/or is less tolerant to the way I install my radio system. Both of the guys posting on this thread "helping" you are well known defenders of Spektrum brand.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:45 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
"DOA"? Don't you wrap your RX with foam?

You are advised to dump Spektrum. I did long time ago.

Cheap Chinese 2.4 is more reliable.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:24 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
I think I heard in RCG that if the plug on the satellite comes out it could cause the main Rx to fail to work.

How were the wires and connectors to the satellite?

sorry for your loss. If the microwaves weren't an issue, the railway could also be using 2.4 and that could have been the issue.

No ideas.....

Best of luck. Has anyone else in your club/area have issues flying there?

let us know what turns up.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:28 PM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
I think it would be great if you are still flying dsm2 to troubleshoot signal problems at your field with a wispy 2.4i usb device.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:26 PM
USA, MI, Olivet
Joined Sep 2009
189 Posts
Here is why I couldn't recover receiver.By the way the water is about 14" deep here. Got my arse soaked trying to find parts.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:36 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
how old wer the 6200's? I discovered that when flying AR6200 with a spektrum DX7 that once in a while it would just shut down for 3-5 seconds and I'd loose all control. I sent the receiver in for a software update and since then it has worked perfectly.
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Closed Thread