HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:55 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
454 Posts
Discussion
Double score at the swap meet yesterday...!

I wasnít going there looking for anything, just needed to sell-off some clutter. But I came home with a complete MT Calypso ARC NIB for 150 bucks! A new MACS quiet pipe, tank, motor mount and a few 11x7.75 props were also in the box. Nothing has even been out of the plastic wrap.

Also grabbed a set of Kraft tricycle gear. The nose gear and bucket are unused but the mains look like they have might have been mounted. Hard to tell they are all virtually new.
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:30 PM
United States, GA, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2008
53 Posts
Nice find! I had one about 15 yrs. ago. Good flier. Lost it in midair at the SVF field in Phoenix.

John
acrorc is online now Find More Posts by acrorc
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
454 Posts
Thanks. I've never really desired a Calypso, (I have a violent digestive reaction when it comes to classic pattern tail draggers, even if designed as such). But I couldn't just let it go back in the sellers truck at the end of the swap meet, especially at that price.

But after getting it home and doing a little research I started poking thru the kit …first with a 10 foot pole followed by a stick. I soon found myself rubbing on the parts thinking this would be a quick, cool little project for a summer build.
Eric
Last edited by edh13; Mar 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:11 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
I never thought much of it either, until i saw Rusty's at Chicago last year. i thought it was a really good looking model in the air and it flew very well. I think he had an old Blue Head G61 Tigre on it, it hauled anyway.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:09 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,710 Posts
While I haven't seen Rusty's Calypso in the "flesh", I believe it to be an authentic recreation of Hanno's Calypso which used a ST S61 for power mounted 110 degrees counter clockwise with pipe down the center of the fuse.

I'm not sure if Rusty used a pipe though. Mine will have an inverted ST X61 TST (or Magic fame) RE with pipe down the middle.

Perhaps one of the simplest yet sweetest models to build - especially if it is an ARC! Good find Ed, I have an equivalent Robbe kit except it is of Matt's Saphir.

David.
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:58 AM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Sep 2009
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
While I haven't seen Rusty's Calypso in the "flesh", I believe it to be an authentic recreation of Hanno's Calypso which used a ST S61 for power mounted 110 degrees counter clockwise with pipe down the center of the fuse.

I'm not sure if Rusty used a pipe though. Mine will have an inverted ST X61 TST (or Magic fame) RE with pipe down the middle.

Perhaps one of the simplest yet sweetest models to build - especially if it is an ARC! Good find Ed, I have an equivalent Robbe kit except it is of Matt's Saphir.

David.
Yep, and ditto what Chris said; it's a very smooth flyer!. I managed to hear someone say "Calypso" and $85, I asked him to repeat that, heard it again and it was in the back seat going home with me. It's the Italian kit,(Avio Modello ?) really an ARC, but very nice workmanship. I've slated to start it after the P-6 next fall.

A tad off-thread, but what's new with the Kraft SS mod David?

Ouch, ouch!

Mark
hook57 is online now Find More Posts by hook57
Last edited by hook57; Mar 25, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:19 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
Take that single stick talk in it's own thread, dude!
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:10 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
Take that single stick talk in it's own thread, dude!
Chris...
Chris, done.

Mark, quick update in appropriate thread.

Ed, nice retracts. I have a set in a Tipo. Probably too bulky for the Calypso and since they are a trike set you might want to use them in a larger classic. I'd be interested in seeing some detailed shots of the underside and interior of the fuse as well as the underside of the wings. Mine is being built from a Blue Bird kit. Not far from being done with the airframe but haven't found the inspiration to hack away at the installed fixed gear block in the right wing panel for the retract unit. It's rather tedious.

Below a couple of snaps of the Calypso in waiting.

David.
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
Last edited by doxilia; Mar 24, 2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
454 Posts
David, here are some camera phone pics I snapped today...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
454 Posts
More...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:00 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
454 Posts
The cowl isnít bad but will need a lot of fill-n-sand to get a good finish on it. Found the only flaw in the kit.

The canopy has several small dents that resulted in creases. Will need to find a new one.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:04 PM
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Apr 2007
303 Posts
Calypso

Calypso...

See the Calypso "Replica" thread, Classic Pattern, RC Groups, for more detail...

Short story-

My Calypso is awesome! I am using the ST S 61, same as Hanno, which is a mid-stroke. The motor gets more powerful with each run. I have about 20 flights on it thus far and it is an excellent combination of power, weight and throttle response with an APC 11 x 9, Mac's pipe. My model was balaanced exactly as the instruction booklet specified and has less than 3% mix for knife edge and a percent or two aileron/rudder and that is it!

The model rolls very well 4,8, 16 point rolls start and stop. Rolling circles, loops are all within in the scope due to the very powerful rudder authority.

Scoring wise, I was just a couple of points behind Mike McConnville and the Phoenix 7 and ahead of Mark Radcliff and the Phoenix 8.

Long Story-

See above AND...I gave Dave Guerin one of the World Engines versions (yellow canopy) of the ARC as a gift. It did not have retract cut-outs, slightly different canopy and construction technique but pretty good. I also sent him a NIB St Blue head...it did not have the power of the S61 and the pipe but we could sense that it too was a great airplane.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Berusty is offline Find More Posts by Berusty
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:41 PM
Zanesville, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2001
27 Posts
Mark Radcliff shown in position 3... Has to be the same which worked for World Engines?
Good memories from the 70's.
skyz is offline Find More Posts by skyz
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:39 PM
Joined Feb 2009
11 Posts
Hey Skyz...that be me! Is this Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyz View Post
Mark Radcliff shown in position 3... Has to be the same which worked for World Engines?
Good memories from the 70's.
mradcliff is offline Find More Posts by mradcliff
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:36 PM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
73 Posts
Rod Barnes?
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville