HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:28 PM
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
Alert
Banana Hobby/J-Power 50mm A-10 EDF Failures

Well everyone, I guess you can chalk another one up to crappy Chinese quality control. I have purchased two of these A-10s and in both instances, I have had one of the fan units completely explode. The first one occurred after only the second flight and this most recent fan failure occurred on the forth flight during take off. Thank goodness it did not happen in the air or cause harm to anyone on the ground or property damage (other than the plane careening into a curb). The plane is salvageable, but the nose gear got pretty torqued and one of the wing landing gear was pulled out of the wing. There was no warning at all either, as my previous flights the units sounded fine and I inspected them after each flight. The fan unit simply went with no warning. Pretty scary.

Ironically, I was in the process of ordering one of the Wicked 50mm set-ups and was going to mod this little bird, but in the meantime, I wanted to fly it stock. I am pretty anal and did bench test and did some break-in of the fan units, especially after the first failure which I simply had chalked up to bad luck. Well now I know that it was not a fluke. Clearly there is an inherent issue with the fan units.

Call me a gluten for punishment, but I already ordered a 3rd A-10, because I just love the way that this little bird flys so much. But trust me, it will not see a second of flight time until I get my Wicked units installed.

So Pete, if you are reading this, I think that you should give J-Power a heads up. I am not going to bother doing the warranty or return gymnastics as its simply more trouble than its worth, but you should relay these critical failures to J-Power as I would hate to see someone injured in the event that this occurs at an inopportune time. I can guarantee I am not the only one to have this experience. Two planes and two fan failures...I am batting 1000!

Oh and Pete, I am a huge supporter of Banana hobby and have bought a ton of stuff from you guys and will keep coming back as you have always stood by your products in my experiences, so don't think this is a knock on your company, as I realize that when dealing with Chinese products you get what you pay for (i.e. zero quality control).

Its all good, on to the next one...

Duc
Ducati0749 is offline Find More Posts by Ducati0749
Last edited by Ducati0749; Mar 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 02:30 PM
Baltimore, MD
Joined May 2008
99 Posts
Did this occur using a 3s or 4s?
protus is offline Find More Posts by protus
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:13 AM
Has nowhere to store his Jets!
Sydney
Joined May 2007
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by protus View Post
Did this occur using a 3s or 4s?
Ummm Any Answer would be nice..... Please!!
I'm about to pull the card out and purchase this little beasty ( I have it's big brother the 49" version) and only going to run 3S.
Would be nice to know in advance if the failures are 3S or 4S related.

Steve
Steve2308 is offline Find More Posts by Steve2308
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:02 AM
Joined Jun 2009
77 Posts
Mine clunked out less than a min. into my first flight.(3s batt.) Being a noob to edf's I ran it up a few times, looked for scuffing on the shrould and that was it. Well it prob. wasn't balanced. Lucky for me my Mig's glide is good and I brought her in. Changed to a 6 blade. Think I'm gonna get another one of this series. Learning is as almost as much fun as flying.
Scrf1 is offline Find More Posts by Scrf1
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:19 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Joined Aug 2009
663 Posts
On a more humorous tone. When the Freewing Su-34 came out (2 years ago??) I crashed it pretty hard on its belly with no gear, the intakes took all the impact and you shoulda seen the fan blades spit out of the back it looked spectacular.
benjo is offline Find More Posts by benjo
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:25 PM
Ozzy O
Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Feb 2011
7 Posts
I have this one and it's doing the same thing to me!! Mine is on 3S. I've had the same side explode 3 times now... I ordered the fan for the little F86, it's the same one that comes in this A10. Motors feel the same, like tight and such but for some reason the same side (right side) keeps blowing up...
oeontiveros is offline Find More Posts by oeontiveros