SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2011, 08:09 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Good to hear your wife is doing well - all the best to you and your family. Your model - a collosal amount of character, good workmanship and a hefty amount of 'cute-ness'. Now is the time for serious sitting on of hands - too much good work to risk test flying her in dodgy weather. Regards Dereck
Thanks D - She started her chemo today and is in very HIGH spirits! By the weekend she'll probably come down a bit with much quiet time. So, I'll be close to home and will maiden weature permitting.
Keith
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 10:03 AM
too old to 3d
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Aug 2000
1,147 Posts
High temp coverings are fine on this airframe. It is fairly stout. The tail surfaces are 3/16 with an optimized grain pattern. I chose clear and transparent Monokote to save a little weight over the opaque colors.

It is absolute amazing that this “.40 size” airplane flies well with a $23 dollar motor that weighs less than a Speed 400 motor and with a battery that weighs about the same as eight 600AEs!

For a little inspiration. My mom went through chemo for cancer when I was eight years old. I am now 41, and she is well and going strong.
Scott C is offline Find More Posts by Scott C
Old May 04, 2011, 10:27 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Thanks D - She started her chemo today and is in very HIGH spirits! By the weekend she'll probably come down a bit with much quiet time. So, I'll be close to home and will maiden weature permitting.
Keith
I had my second chemo yesterday. Brain and body are slightly seperated, while my follow up home treatment is vastly dis-located both spatially and temporally. My wife is home, but at work - technology has some real uses, it seems! Your wife and I are lucky to have such great family support - I truly feel sorry for anyone who goes through this without such backup.

Some flying weather of any sort around the 'Truly Windy City' would be appreciated! With three new models to test, two of them 'OD', it's a good job I have the common to not wave sharp instruments around and build the next own design project. Even if it is pretty simplistic - another 200% full size of a rubber powered low winger.

Good luck to you both, hang in there

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 04, 2011, 12:17 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,338 Posts
Wow..... Thank You both for sharing!!! It does help and I'm lucky to have such a great gal....

Feel better and we'll pray for you, family and better weather in your windy city!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2011, 12:37 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,430 Posts
Dereck, very sorry to hear of your battle as well. We'll pray for you and your family. Tough times.....

Is Stanton Hobby still around on the North side? I spent many hours there before I moved to MI.

Jim
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old May 04, 2011, 03:08 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Jim
Spent most of last year tied up in a long haul move from MD and our thoughts of a quiet, boring 2011 just got tossed out the window, so I can't help you out on Stanton Hobby. The only one I have visited hereabouts is 'La Grange Hobbies', which is west and a little south of Chicago, around a 20 mile drive mostly going real slow on freeways.

We live in West Loop - spousal unit was very firm on minimal office commuting after the mess of 15 miles driving into DC. It worked - now she's a 15 min one bus ride, stops both ways coming and going at our street end!

La Grange is a fun place to visit, lots of other hobby stuff to poke around besides aeromodelling of all sorts, good magazine selection, Brit as well as US, and friendly staff. Good to see they're still hanging on in places.

Regards

Dereck
Old May 20, 2011, 09:46 AM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
574 Posts
SkyBoy 600 Progress

The SkyBoy is progressing quickly. This is my third Stevens Aero kit and certainly won't be the last. They are so enjoyable to build!!

I modified the wing to mount with 10-32 nylon bolts.
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123
Last edited by rodsmith123; May 20, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:52 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,338 Posts
Nice touch, thanks for sharing....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 12:45 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
Covering Skyboy

I am finishing my Skyboy and am ready for covering. I am very impressed with simages covering job. I would like to know if you (simages) covered the fuselage turtle deck separate from the sides. It looks as if you also covered the hatch and then cut it out later. A few tips would be welcomed from a top notch covering pro like yourself. I just love the color combo too!

Thanks,

Niick
Ncris is offline Find More Posts by Ncris
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:09 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncris View Post
I am finishing my Skyboy and am ready for covering. I am very impressed with simages covering job. I would like to know if you (simages) covered the fuselage turtle deck separate from the sides. It looks as if you also covered the hatch and then cut it out later. A few tips would be welcomed from a top notch covering pro like yourself. I just love the color combo too! Thanks, Niick
aw-shucks and Thanks for the compliment...... It's been years since I did any covering as the helicopters distracted me. Then I came across the SA booth at the NY WRAM show...... and now have more planks then helis.

I covered the Fuselage with the white pretty much where the lines are, then the yellow and used black "trim" to cover the lines. The turtle deck was ok, but I snapped a stringer or two pulling too hard.

The hatch was covered and then cut, then I used Blendrem surgical tape to "hinge" the one side. Engine area is fun heat the covering enough to avoid wrinkles...... and remember if you have enough covering material and mess up. Well pull if off carefully and try again.

Hope this helps
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Jun 01, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am still confused as to the turtle deck. Was that covered with a separate piece? I have a Mountain Models Etana that I finished awhile ago and I had to cover the turtle deck separate from the fuselage, so I was wondering if you did the same or had a method for doing the whole fuselage sides and deck in one piece.

Have you flow it yet? I would love to see that beauty fly. I have always favored yellow, white and black. I remember back in the early 70s I flew a Kaos 60 that was yellow and black. Great plane and was a real standout in the air.

Cheers,

Nick
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:01 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Nick
Just covered my latest OD, complete with turtle deck. Yes, they are a pain!

My usual approach is firstly to do a little advance planning to ensure that any vertical covering joint lines have the top layer facing aft. Loosely, start covering from the tail end and head forwards. This ensures that airflow cannot tend to lift covering if any of it gets a little air gap in service.

The top deck will get covered first, taking the above into consideration. This allows for a generous over-lap from top deck to fuselage sides. When you finally cover the sides, look for a straight line that can be cut with a ruler and over-lay the sides atop the top deck covering. That will provide a clean line along the fuselage.

This doesn't have to align with, say, a balsa sheet fuselage side, though that is often the most convenient level to work from. Another possibility is to cover top deck and sides with the same colour, then place a 'speed stripe' trim piece of contrasting colour over the joint line.

You aren't going to miss yellow and black in the air! Spousal Unit doesn't mind most of my colour schemes, which tend to be somewhat unique in your average club's pits area, but was glad when I got pink and purple out of my system.

Sky Boy is about as close as we've gotten to the much discussed, but never actually seen, Low Wing Lazy Bee. Now, with a slightly (lot!) different tailplane outline and an all-moving rudder of a shape well known in my workshop...?

D
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
Dereck,

Thank you for the information. That is the way I thought it was done, but it is such a nice plane I wanted to be sure. Simages did such a great job of covering I wanted to touch bases with builders that have more experience in covering models of this type. I am looking forward to my low wing Lazy Bee

Hey I liked your article in the March issue of FlyRC. Makes me want to build from scratch again. Cover with silkspan and dope. Ah the good old days.

Cheers Mate,

Nick
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:29 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,338 Posts
Correction.....

Quote:
I covered the Fuselage with the white pretty much where the lines are,
I went back and looked at my raw pictures and discovered that I did use a separate piece for the turtle deck......

Then the yellow.... then the black "trim" to cover the lines.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 11:28 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncris View Post
Dereck,

Thank you for the information. That is the way I thought it was done, but it is such a nice plane I wanted to be sure. Simages did such a great job of covering I wanted to touch bases with builders that have more experience in covering models of this type. I am looking forward to my low wing Lazy Bee

Hey I liked your article in the March issue of FlyRC. Makes me want to build from scratch again. Cover with silkspan and dope. Ah the good old days.

Cheers Mate,

Nick
Hi Nick

Sometimes wish the same about covering myself - I go back a ways. Smelly stuff is right out these days unfortunately

Thank you for the kind words about VSP. She's a fun little puppy. That her flight envelope is a little beyond her looks was intentional - honest. I may have filched some shapes from a well-known high winger, but the other numbers came off some of my earlier designs Fly RC are doing well to keep the 'free plan' thing going - it makes their magazine stand well out from the herd.

And if anyone thinks that a 'Not So Short a Plane' could work - the answer's yes (he sez with a knowing smile )

Not sure if his method ever made an online source, but the late Randy Randolph told me how to 'do' tissue covering by gluing tissue on with white glue, shrinking it with sprayed on rubbing alcohol and sealing it with clear Krylon type rattlecan varnish. He did mention it worked far better with quality aeromodelling type tissue, as opposed to wrapping paper tissue.

Having seen Randy's models, it obviously could be done - though I suspect if I'd tried, it wouldn't have looked quite as good as his...

Litespan and Balsoloc, if you can get both, do a pretty good looking and practical job of tissue imitation. Not for the short attention span though (which probably explains why there's lots of SoLite my shop these days )

D