HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:11 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Finished the wing and is pretty much by the SA instruction manual with no need to do it any different so, I'm almost done with the diggling.
simages is online now Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Apr 14, 2011 at 09:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
Beautiful work on the finishing. I've enjoyed reading your thread. Have fun with the model! Sure looks like it will turn a few heads.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Just need to trim the bottom and finish the hatch plus one more pinstripe..... I will stay with Kris Cartwright designed pilot figure......
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:04 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens AeroModel View Post
Beautiful work on the finishing. I've enjoyed reading your thread. Have fun with the model! Sure looks like it will turn a few heads.-Bill
Thanks - I hope to run down to the park and maiden it, I know blah blah blah....

Hopefully, the rain will stop, winds die down and my wife is feeling well enough to come with me. Maybe she'll sail one of her boats..... Otherwise she'll have to say no.... but you go ahead.....

This project has really helped me to break away as well as from truly loosing it. My wife means everything to me and she's so, active and healthy. However; cancer sucks and does not discriminate!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:25 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,392 Posts
Simages, truely sorry to hear of your family's battle with cancer......
I'll be praying for you and your wife.
Cancer is such a battle...

Your Skyboy looks great.

Jim
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:25 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
Simages, truely sorry to hear of your family's battle with cancer...... I'll be praying for you and your wife.
Cancer is such a battle... Your Skyboy looks great. Jim
Thanks very much and she's doing really GREAT! At the end of each day, she remains at the highest percentile ranking.......
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:06 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Now almost done

But still Diddling - D!

I do have a few other projects I'm finishing as well.... I got a little free time and of course it was raining and I can't WIND for losing!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Apr 28, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:17 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,392 Posts
Plenty of room to mount things in a skyboy.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old May 01, 2011, 10:17 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Just too windy today....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 10:28 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Good to hear your wife is doing well - all the best to you and your family.

Your model - a collosal amount of character, good workmanship and a hefty amount of 'cute-ness'. Now is the time for serious sitting on of hands - too much good work to risk test flying her in dodgy weather.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 01, 2011, 10:50 PM
OCRCC @ MCAS El Toro
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined May 2008
406 Posts
I have a couple questions.

1) Hi simages, your SkyBoy has turned out awesome! It's a great color scheme. I have a question about the guts though. I know what a BEC is, but what's a UBEC?

2) To anyone, how important is the weight of the covering material? This is going to be my first covering job and I'm getting a lot of recommendations to go with Ultracote, but it seems to be heavier than the recommended covering materials. How big of a deal is it? I don't want to spend all this time and effort and then turn it into a brick.

SamBones is offline Find More Posts by SamBones
Old May 02, 2011, 04:16 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBones View Post
1) Hi simages, your SkyBoy has turned out awesome! It's a great color scheme. I have a question about the guts though. I know what a BEC is, but what's a UBEC?
UBEC is a brand name for one of the original switching BECs and has become the generic term for them. I like this one because I can safely use it for 3-10cell lipo setups.

As for the UBEC or the (Ultimate BEC) is/was the trade name of one of the first add on bec's that allowed you to use more servos at higher pack voltages and produced by Kool Flight from what I understand..... It has seemed to have morph into "Universal" BEC because a bunch of the Chinese stand alone bec's are referred to as UBECs.

BEC => Linear based BEC
UBEC => Switching / Switch Mode BEC

BEC (Linear based BEC)
Advantage
+ Cheaper. Less electronics component to make.
+ Cleaner signal/power.
Disadvantage
- Generate more heat. Heat getting higher when loading or when voltage differences between o/p and i/p is higher. In other word, it generate more heat if u connect i/p voltage of 24V compare to 12v (e.g.)
- Not efficient
- Normally lower current o/p. Higher current o/p and the size is bigger.

UBEC (Switch mode BEC)
Advantage
+ More efficient than BEC.
+ Generate lot less heat.
+ Heat generated from higher voltage different is lot lesser.
+ Normally has higher current o/p

Disadvantage
- Generate more noise on the o/p
- More components and thus, more expensive.

Hope this helps......
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 07:20 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Quote:
2) To anyone, how important is the weight of the covering material? This is going to be my first covering job and I'm getting a lot of recommendations to go with Ultracote, but it seems to be heavier than the recommended covering materials. How big of a deal is it? I don't want to spend all this time and effort and then turn it into a brick.
Years ago when I had an Flight Instructor to my right..... he always told be that you can make a brick fly, "if" you have a large enough motor!

As for the covering, I've never had a problem with weighing a model down however; I'm new to Stevens AeroModel and have only used their AeroLITE (SOLITE) and AeroTrim. Have yet to try the AeroFilm which is a bit lighter and I'm sure it's very durable.

I do prefer Ultracote over Monokote because it shrinks better IMO besides, something changed with Monokote........ keep in mind that you can't use the ammonia or the windex tip on Ultracote.

What covering tools do you have?

Hope this helps and I'm sure other will chime in and add their experience.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 09:02 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Another idle thought on covering - sez he, who often bases colour schemes on what's hanging out in a certain cardboard box under his bench - the covering should match the framework in other ways.

Monokote, and other films of similar weight I'm sure, shrinks plenty on heating up with a film specific heat gun. If you apply this over a light open framed wing or, worse still, tail surfaces. it is possible to seriously warp the part being covered. Even though 'SolarFilm Lite', AKA SoLite and several other US names, shrinks plenty, it's light weight makes it suitable to cover the lightest frameworks.

SoLite does demand a little more care than Monokote, mostly because it is so light. It can tend to flop over and seal itself glue side to glue side, which takes gentle, careful handling to seperate. On the other hand, it is as light as you are going to get, pretty tough stuff for its weight and does come from the company that about started heatshrink covering in England. I suspect it's made somewhere 'C'heap, but at least to the standards of a company that cares about aeromodelling.

Solarfilm's heat shrink tissue-like 'Litespan' was initially developed to replace doped-on tissue for builders of small rubber powered free flight models who were allergic to dope fumes. That says a fair bit about how they care about our hobby, I reckon.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 02, 2011, 12:35 PM
OCRCC @ MCAS El Toro
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined May 2008
406 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the awesome, complete responses, simages!

for covering tools, I have a covering iron I bought a couple years ago to tighten up my ARFs. I also recently got a heat gun made for covering. I've got a big box of #11 blades, and single edge razor blades. I have a good piece of tempered glass and a decent paper cutter. Not sure what else I need. Oh yeah, I have time and determination!

I also bought a pair of 3D Hobby shop Sukhoi wings on the For Sale pages for only $25 shipped. I carefully pulled all the covering off last night and will practice on them first.

Uh ... "the ammonia or the windex tip on Ultracote"? What's that?

I already bought a couple rolls of Ultracote, for two reasons. It was in stock at my local hobby shop, and they had the colors I wanted.
SamBones is offline Find More Posts by SamBones
Old May 02, 2011, 01:47 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Wow! Thanks for the awesome, complete responses, simages! Uh ... "the ammonia or the windex tip on Ultracote"? What's that? I already bought a couple rolls of Ultracote, for two reasons. It was in stock at my local hobby shop, and they had the colors I wanted.
Your welcome.... As for the windex tip, disregard because you don't need with Ultracote. If you have to cover over cover in any areas just take your time and be careful to push the air out.

With monokote over monokote windex allows you to reposition the graphics and slide it around into position. then squeegee the excess out with a soft cloth which also pushes any air bubbles out.
RCG Plus Member