HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:17 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyer62 View Post
Hey, I just saw this thread. Your work looks really nice. You may want to check out this other thread on the Skyboy. You might find a couple of things to think about before you cover your bird.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317942
-Jay
Thanks Jay - Just subscribed and reviewing before covering starts today!
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:17 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Covering started......

Changed the color scheme from Yellow-Blue-White to Yellow-Black and White. Only had AeroLite so I used Ultracote...... I forgot that the other film was MonoKote which I hate to work with because it just does not shrink well so, out with the blue and in with the black.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Apr 03, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:30 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Same page - still covering.....

However; about 80% finished
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:10 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
She's looking good - you did good there, Monokote is not the stuff for lightweight structures. A few degrees too hot shrinking it and it can turn a light framework into a brightly coloured potato chip...

Who said Ford Flivver earlier on? Great Planes tried that line with one of their low winged sports kit ranges, now pretty much faded away.

Somewhere in my shop is a stray Clancy Aviation Lazy Bee aileron wing kit - must add a fuselage to it one day, and ailerons don't work worth a durn on a Lazy Bee, so this could be the inspiration.

Good luck with wrapping this one up.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 05, 2011, 12:34 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
She's looking good - you did good there, Monokote is not the stuff for lightweight structures. A few degrees too hot shrinking it and it can turn a light framework into a brightly coloured potato chip...
Who said Ford Flivver earlier on? Great Planes tried that line with one of their low winged sports kit ranges, now pretty much faded away.
Somewhere in my shop is a stray Clancy Aviation Lazy Bee aileron wing kit - must add a fuselage to it one day, and ailerons don't work worth a durn on a Lazy Bee, so this could be the inspiration. Good luck with wrapping this one up. D
This is my second SA kit have still have the SkyBuggy 300 w/ floats to build. Really love these and know want the Swift 100 Full House Ultra Micro kit [SAK-SWIFT100]. This Skyboy is almost as big as my 54" Flivver which I still have to complete. That's probably as big as I"ll go so I can fly in my community park with the 7 acre pond......
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2011, 09:51 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
http://www.airplane-pictures.net/type.php?p=957

Thought the name 'Swift' was familiar...

Which Flivver do you have? Having a flyable space plus lake, I could live with.

D
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:01 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
http://www.airplane-pictures.net/type.php?p=957
Thought the name 'Swift' was familiar...
Which Flivver do you have? Having a flyable space plus lake, I could live with.D
Well I got the "LAST" 54" kit from Helmut at RC-Dymond, but could not build much because I was in a 1 bedroom condo for years to include building the new place. Finally got moved last year and was able to get my stuff from storage. I'm liking my 12x12x9 hobby room! Not to mention getting back to building planes, helicopters are a slow process for me....
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:43 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Well I got the "LAST" 54" kit from Helmut at RC-Dymond, but could not build much because I was in a 1 bedroom condo for years to include building the new place. Finally got moved last year and was able to get my stuff from storage. I'm liking my 12x12x9 hobby room! Not to mention getting back to building planes, helicopters are a slow process for me....
Can appreciate your move. Last year, we went from a three bed townhouse with a large, well storage-endowed garage to a three bed condo with a parking space. My building and bike storage facilities - both of equal status in our life - went from the garage and a large finished basement to a small bedroom. Okay, we're down to a mere five bikes now

Have long wanted to sneakily look over that Flivver BARF with a ruler. Mine was 'scale' bar one subtle dimension change and a quick measure or two could confirm whether they designed the model properly themselves or used the Chinese method of 'reverse engineering'

Too many models, not enough time

D
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:47 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Ever had one of them 'deja view' feelings?

"Sportex" from mid-2007. 44" span, AXI 2820/10 on 10S (1700 NiMh, don't get too excited )

Your 600 should fly fine.

D
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:35 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Ever had one of them 'deja view' feelings?
"Sportex" from mid-2007. 44" span, AXI 2820/10 on 10S (1700 NiMh, don't get too excited )Your 600 should fly fine. D
I have.... after I returned to the hobby from a 7 year hiatus and didn't even have an x-acto knife! I wasn't really ready, but had to have the "Last" Flivver! deja vu..... well my first Flivver was about 90" wing span. As a newbe back in 1990 Petal, MS. I had no business finishing that scratch built frame given to me by a club ole timer. Kind of wish I still had it, but then I have to build a Hanger.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:57 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
The Flivver crops up rarely, but every so often. There's an event report somewhere in the RC Groups/E Zone basement - possibly from Canada - with a black and white of an e-power 1/3 scale Flivver. Which, at just over 7 foot span, is hardly a monster by the standards of today's top hobby spenders.

I have a 1/4 scale plan hidden somewhere of the 'other' Flivver - the slightly larger and much uglier version with dihedral, lift struts from wing topside to upper longerons and different tailfeathers. In fact, a different aircraft pretty much.

Mine had one unique aerodynamic thing that almost certainly never bothered the real one - with no dihedral and a very deep fuselage, it flew better inverted than upright Not that I did so in public, as I have this boring idea that scale models should fly like their prototypes, but it's always best to check out handling oddities with one's designs before taking them out in public...

D
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:01 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Leaning toward scrappy1 ...... to maiden the Skyboy.... Srappy or Pappy?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Apr 10, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:35 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Not sure about the puppy as co-pilot, or is that first pilot? But whoever is behind him/her/it looks to fit the aircraft well. He (I think...) would adapt well to the mandatory long flapping scarf, for gently beating on the rear decking as one makes low, slow passes to hear the pilot's scarf flapping on said aft structure.

Say he, who once flew - and published in a UK mag - a low wing aerobatic design with a pig wearing a WW2 pilot's helmet and officer's flying jacket...
Old Apr 08, 2011, 09:38 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Still on page 45......

Just need to trim the bottom and finish the hatch plus one more pinstripe..... I will stay with Kris Cartwright designed pilot figure......
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:09 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,191 Posts
Very Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
Leaning toward scrappy1 ...... to maiden the Skyboy
This model and color scheme has turned out quite well and i am happy for you.

I absolutely love the plastic dog figure- do you know anymore
about where another plastic dog figure would be available?
Stuff like the profile monkey and dog really add a lot of character and smile factor to these models.

best wishes, john s.
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain