SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,397 Posts
Good point on the cg check.
That must have been some crash to crack a circuit board.

That reminds me of a crash back when I was trying to fly as a kid. It hit so hard the servo case screws stripped out and the servos opened up spilling gears all over the grass lol
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:36 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Jim

No point in having a half- hearted crash!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:43 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,913 Posts
In my worst crash I only saved the cylinder head from the Enya 60. Another bad crash smashed all of the diodes in the Bonner 8 receiver. Most of the transistors, resistors, and caps were bent over and/or broken. The IF cans were torn off the board and the wire came off the coils. The two circuit boards were separated and it took me several hours to straighten the case. Then, like a fool, I sent it for repair. It was but I was afraid to use it again and got a new one. That crash spilled most of the servo gears, but all of the balls. Also lost the battery pack ( a screw went through most of the old button cells) The engine survived but the airframe didn't.
Al M is online now Find More Posts by Al M
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:14 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Al
That was a serious black belt, 10 out of 10, 100% A grade crash!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:03 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,913 Posts
Dereck,

It was! The glow plug even broke. The pin bent and pulled loose. Hit an abandoned concrete foundation for a railroad signal. First flight.

Al
Al M is online now Find More Posts by Al M
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Jun 2011
111 Posts
Ok, sky boy question... I went to go get some ca hinges at my lhs but they only had actual nylon hinges. My issue comes in that I built my elevator halves a bit off when joining them togther in the middle. I sanded it so it now fits flat and square. I have worked and worked trying to hinge the elevator but have not luck! I built a sky buggy 300 and used tape hinges only for the elevator and rudder. Is this bird too big to use tape hinges? I have already cut many slots in the trailing edge of the stap trying to use the hinges. I'm going to use 3 standard ca hinges on the rudder. Have I cut up the elevator too much to use robart hinges?

I installed the windshield on the plane then promptly dropped glue on the glass, trying to cleen it I ended up making it white and streaky. As a replacement I used a plastic piece of a tomato carton. Looks decent. Do I need to be concerned with wind flapping?

Also in some places my plane has a case of the wrinkles in the covering mainly in the rear stringers. Is this an issue?

Hopes this isn't too much...

Thanks

Noah
Racerx4 is offline Find More Posts by Racerx4
Last edited by Racerx4; Feb 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
205 Posts
Tape hinges should work, but you'll need to tape the top AND bottom of the hinge. Lay the tape on top first, then fold the elevator up on top of the stabilizer, exposing the bottom. Apply the tape to the elevator or stab first, pressing the tape down into the hinge area, then rub it down on the other surface. If you've already sanded a bevel in the top AND bottom edges (which I assume you did in preparation for CA hinges) use the procedure for the bottom on top as well. I find it easiest to set the stab/ elevator up tee-pee style when doing this part, but with the curves on these surfaces it might make things harder than they need to be.

The wind shield should be fine. Either it stays, or on the first flight it will come off. You can get replacement windscreens from StevensAero, call Bill for a quote.

Wrinkles aren't going to hurt anything. You can, cautiously, use a heat gun to work the wrinkles out, but you risk burning a hole in your covering. Glue up a simple frame and cover it, wrinkles included, and practice on that before you apply heat to your plane.

Mark
fleaz is offline Find More Posts by fleaz
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
111 Posts
Ok... finally got this bird done! but I have a few questions.. It seems like the tail wheel is rather bendy and the bottom of the wing hits on the ground a bit (see pics) Would it be a good idea to remove the tail wheel? or just reinforce it or make it stiffer. Making a metal/plastic tail skid work of? I will be flying off a grass field 99.9% of the time, my guss is that it will not to much ay way.. Also the alerons dont have much throw. At first I had them at the sugested 45 degrees but they seemed to not work evenly so I opted for a parrell to hindge line control horn set up (issue?) and is even per side BUT the alerions bang on the ground in full deflection!(good for flying?) I have installed the wingtip skids... Is this wrong? also I have herd that this plane is very tail heavy, if I remove the tail wheel parts and wire will this combat this issue? I havent checked the cg yet. any first flight tips? Is there a specific surface deflection is inches per aleieron rudder and elevader or just preference and flying style?

Thanks again

Noah

thanks fleaz! tape hinges worked great! I can hold the plane by the tail with such strong hinges! I have a heat gun and yess, I am the king of burning holes in monokote! no doubt!

Ps. do you guys have any info on the A main hobbies eco power 2200Mah batteries? good price and great warranty

Thanks
Last edited by Racerx4; Feb 27, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,397 Posts
I've had zero cg issues. I used aerofilm and a 103gr motor.
Yes, wingtip skids per the directions.
Get as much throw out of the aileron setup as you can, this plane is quite relaxed about rolls. Just be aware of this when you are on the ground.
This plane does sit low...you can bend the main gear a little to get some more ground clearance. Remember to make the rubber bands on the main gear stiff so the wheels don't smash the wings on landing, this will also give more clearance.
Tail wheel works fiine stock. It works great for taxiing in the grass.
Set your cg, pick a calm day with a big field, and go enjoy!
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx4 View Post
Ok... finally got this bird done! but I have a few questions.. It seems like the tail wheel is rather bendy and the bottom of the wing hits on the ground a bit (see pics) Would it be a good idea to remove the tail wheel? or just reinforce it or make it stiffer. Making a metal/plastic tail skid work of? I will be flying off a grass field 99.9% of the time, my guss is that it will not to much ay way.. Also the alerons dont have much throw. At first I had them at the sugested 45 degrees but they seemed to not work evenly so I opted for a parrell to hindge line control horn set up (issue?) and is even per side BUT the alerions bang on the ground in full deflection!(good for flying?) I have installed the wingtip skids... Is this wrong? also I have herd that this plane is very tail heavy, if I remove the tail wheel parts and wire will this combat this issue? I havent checked the cg yet. any first flight tips? Is there a specific surface deflection is inches per aleieron rudder and elevader or just preference and flying style? Thanks again Noah
-CUT-
Ps. do you guys have any info on the A main hobbies eco power 2200Mah batteries? good price and great warranty Thanks
Looking Noah -

For personal reasons I have not yet flown my SkyBoy however; with confidence I can say..... that the tail wheel is bendy and you could reinforce it or angle it differently to raise it slightly, but with a soft 3 point landing..... Tail Skid, I suppose.... IMO, I would bend it first and see if it gives you the desired result which it should. then if needed you could stiffin it....

The Wing tip "skids" are correct hence being close to the ground....

any first flight tips? Yep..... first tip before maiden.... Check, verify and adjust CG we will all have slightly different adjustments based on things like our power system i.e. motor, battery type, size, weight and location. Check both the fore-aft balance as well as side to side.

Specific surface deflection is inches per aileron, rudder and elevator or just preference and flying style? Both..... think of your dual rates High and Low (up and down) or depending on your radio you could have 3D rate - High rate - Low rate settings which would be the amount of throw in inches, mm or degrees.

For example, but NOT this model

Ailerons 31 / 31 / 31 or 1-1/4" / 1" / 3/4"
Elevator 31 / 31 / 31 or 1-3/4" / 1-3/8" / 1"
Rudder 31 / 31 / 31 or 4-1/2" / 3-1/2" / 2-3/8"

Hope this helps - Keith
simages is online now Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Mar 03, 2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Anal Retentive Correction....
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
111 Posts
Thanks the maiden went great!! very fun plane to fly! very floaty! some how managed to park it in a tree! on the 11th flight no damage just a couple of holes in the covering very lucky! dose anybody here gave their pilot figure that was not used? mine ejected... I would be happy with ether the paper cut out or the wood, with one i could make my own other pilot cut out or vice versa. Thanks to all you guys helping me along with my great new plane!
just PM me and i can give you my address and paypal and such.
Thanks

Noah
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:34 PM
too old to 3d
United States, GA, Peachtree City
Joined Aug 2000
1,139 Posts
Congrats. Just keep it out of the trees. I know easier said than done.
Scott C is offline Find More Posts by Scott C
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:01 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Specsheet

added....
simages is online now Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member