Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking 'Trooper' 4WD short course truck

I'm considering getting one of these trucks:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14908

Here's the HK review video:

HobbyKing - HK Trooper 1/10th Brushless SCT (8 min 3 sec)

and here are some vids from youtube users:

HobbyKingTrooper (2 min 1 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJqOWZEVMMo&NR=1

From what I can tell, this thing is not a clone of the 4WD slash but is definately a wannba

Let's get some opinions from the people who have one. Is it worth the money? Looks like it to me...............I want one!

***UPDATE**** Here is my full review:

Here's my full review:

http://hobbykingreviews.blogspot.com/

I like this truck but it didn't come easily
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Last edited by Heavy Chevy; Aug 21, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2011, 03:42 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
if your ok with no parts support AT ALL in the states, yeah, it looks decent. the tires are imitation proline flat irons and the body is clearly a slash body with hk stickers, but it looks... interesting to say the least
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:47 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
if your ok with no parts support AT ALL in the states, yeah, it looks decent. the tires are imitation proline flat irons and the body is clearly a slash body with hk stickers, but it looks... interesting to say the least
Really? The video review by hobbyking said that they have all replacement parts. Did I miss something?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:49 AM
india
Joined May 2010
486 Posts
replacement parts would take time to ship from china to canada.
iamahuman is offline Find More Posts by iamahuman
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:33 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
I would check the hobbyking site to see what parts they actually have in stock before buying it.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:08 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
they have parts, but it's from hobbyking. not from a local in the states online shop or your lhs. that's what i meatn by no parts support at all in the U.S.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Well it's too late!! I bought a slash 4x4 ultimate roller on ebay yesterday. No wheels or body either and that's ok
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:40 AM
india
Joined May 2010
486 Posts
Good choice
iamahuman is offline Find More Posts by iamahuman
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:47 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,888 Posts
They have all the parts in as noted. Its bigger than the slash and the body differs slightly. I don't see the issue in getting the parts from HK. I just ordered a whole heap of spares for the 1/16 on Saturday and they should be here early next week.

Chris and I walked into our LHS looking for aftermarklet 1/16th bodies and they had a Ho Bao 1/10 short course that other than the Ho Bao having metal shocks was much the same as the ACME (HK) one 35A speedie with reverse. The HK has 3 diff's, some like this, others hate it. LHS, kit with servos motor and speedie no radio was over $350. HK for Platinum $134.99 + $44.61 to my door. For a park and street hack I know which I would get

Mark
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:20 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
difference the lhs kit has parts available in store, which means you get it up and running again the day you buy the part, not over a week later. i'd go Ho Bao(Ofna) because it's a more proven design that has parts support in store. this is just my opinion, but i'm willing to pay more for a design that's proven and i can get parts the same day i break rather than wait awhile.

your right, for bashing, it is a good deal. for me, it's not, as when i break, i want to be able to go get parts the same day or order and have to pay very little for shipping and have it arrive the next day. this is just my opinion on it. that and i'd rather have a higher power brushless system, a 550 sensored set up or a castle sidewinder sct, since i know those can handle the power demand a 4wd sc requires. the 35 amp in this thing worries.

the parts issue from hk, not everyone is happy with waiting over a week for parts or paying a high price for an a arm. i'm certainly not, i bought the truck to drive it, when it breaks, i want it back up and running as soon as possible. the ofna lets you fix it sooner. a lot sooner. not the hk.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:45 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Trooper body on a traxxas slash 2WD

Hey GUys,

I just got a body for the trooper for my slash 2WD. I havn't run it with the body on yet, (too busy ), but I'm hoping to do so tonight. $38 bucks with shipping to Canada to my door.

I've also ordered an actual slash clear body for my soon to arrive slash platinum 4x4 and will compare the two bodies at that point when I have the two side by side.

I covered the whole inside with red 'Tuck Tape' so that if and when the body cracks, the pieces will stay on and not dissapear forever; just adds some extra life to it.

Here are some pics.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:47 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
I'd like to know if the trooper wheels fit on the slash?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:47 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
that looks a lot like a slash body shell, just trimmed differently. do they sell em uncut and unpainted anywhere? if so, they might be cheap solution to a need to paint sc shells.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:50 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
I can't find the parts list on HK. Can you post a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
They have all the parts in as noted. Its bigger than the slash and the body differs slightly. I don't see the issue in getting the parts from HK. I just ordered a whole heap of spares for the 1/16 on Saturday and they should be here early next week.

Chris and I walked into our LHS looking for aftermarklet 1/16th bodies and they had a Ho Bao 1/10 short course that other than the Ho Bao having metal shocks was much the same as the ACME (HK) one 35A speedie with reverse. The HK has 3 diff's, some like this, others hate it. LHS, kit with servos motor and speedie no radio was over $350. HK for Platinum $134.99 + $44.61 to my door. For a park and street hack I know which I would get

Mark
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:52 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
that looks a lot like a slash body shell, just trimmed differently. do they sell em uncut and unpainted anywhere? if so, they might be cheap solution to a need to paint sc shells.
It was uncut, I just cut along the lines that looked like suggestions

I also never had a slash body for my slash so I'm not exactly sure about the curves of the slash body.