HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,226 Posts
Build Log
1/5 FW-190 A8/R2 Black "<< + - "

I figured their may be some people on here that do not frequent the other forums, so here is a quick run-down of what I've been doing.

Kit: Don Lein / Bob Holman plans 1/5 FW-190A short kit (fiberglass fuse, foam wings/tail)
Engine: Seidel ST-7-70
Radio: JR 11X w/ R921 rx, and Jr servo's through-out
Gear: Sierra Precision mains and retractable tail
wheels: Sierra precision scale main and tail-wheel
Paint: Warbird Colors
Cockpit from Inzpan
Pilot from Dragon Models

Some of the scale details:
Full Depth cockpit from Inzpan
Hinged Gun hood w/ under-hood detailing
Functional cowling side panels
Functional sliding canopy utilizing a screw-jack driven by a modified servo (its fully proportional!)
Functional fuselage "cooling" flaps and functional cooling ducts
2 piece sliding main gear doors with Wheel well detailing
Scale construction on the flaps, ailerons, elevators and rudder.
ETC-501 rack w/ drop tank

If you guys are interested in anything particular about the build, feel free to ask, as i have ALLOT of photo's of the build and will keep this thread updated as i proceed if their is enough interest.

Current stage of completion:

The color scheme will be of Maj. Karl Kennel of S.G.2 when his aircraft was intentionally damaged during surrender to the allies in Kitzengen in May of 1945.

Video doing a walk-around and showing some of the scale details:
1/5 FW-190 Walkaround and Scale detail's (11 min 59 sec)
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:41 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,403 Posts
You've gone all out on the details !

The Holman FW kit is the best out there, in my opinion. Mine went together with no hitches, but I didn't go as far as you have, with the details.

You're not the only one that's had problems with InZpan. They once charged me $86.)) shipping on a 5 pound order. The next time, they had to ship the order twice, before they got it correct.

Keep up the great work !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:18 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,034 Posts
great job , I am am bashing a CMP Fw190 just for fun , yours is a work of art !! simply Top Gun Material !!!
Can you please explane the jack screw mods to the canopy retracts mechanisum ?
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,226 Posts
Thanks Tom, you Dora looks fantastic!
I've got mixed opinions with Inzpan. On the one hand, i knew going into ordering anything from them that they could be "slow". well the order showed up in 2 weeks so i was happy I received it fairly quickly. Then as i started working on the kit, I noticed their were ALLOT of items in the photo on their website of the completed cockpit that were missing and not shown on the "instructions" (if you can even call them that), Not to mention parts that were shown were missing (Jakub at inzpan said these would be sent out, that was 2+ weeks ago). Then when i got to the point of fitting the seat and all, i realized the seat was WAAYY to big. Now, I was beginning to get upset, especially with the price of this thing.
So after numerous emails to inzpan over a few month's and no response's, i posted a negative review of the cockpit on their website (which not surprisingly, still hasn't shown up their), less than 24 hours later, i have a response from jakub saying no emails were ever received. After a few emails back and forth with them, they said i could send the seat back for a refund and the stuff shown in the photo was for display purpose's only. Kind of false advertisement if you ask me..

so that is my rant on inzpan.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
great job , I am am bashing a CMP Fw190 just for fun , yours is a work of art !! simply Top Gun Material !!!
Can you please explane the jack screw mods to the canopy retracts mechanisum ?
Thanks! Top Gun material is exactly what i planned to end up with when starting this build. I haven't participated in any scale competitions, so this is my first model into that.

For the jack-screw, I basically took a HS65HB servo, removed the mechanical stop on the output shaft gear, removed the stops for the potentiometer and then removed the wires from the potentiometer. The entire thing was re-assembled and the potentiometer wires were moved to outside of the servo case. These wires were then extended and soldered to the potentiometer of another servo (that was gutted of everything except the output shaft and potentiometer).
A gearbox was then made using some Maxx-prod 5.33:1 gear set. The spur gear was placed on a 4-40 rod that was screwed into the output shaft of the HS65 servo, and the pinion placed on the 4-40 jack-screw rod.

Here are some photo's showing the setup before and after installation:

Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:40 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,034 Posts
Very cool , thanks for the info
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:18 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,226 Posts
More Details done today.. 2 of the 4 antenna's were made. some faux piano hinge-hinges made and installed and the cannon barrells cut and test fit.

Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:07 AM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
637 Posts
Wow!! I mean wow. Some great work there. Thanks for posting. I purchased the BT plans for the smaller focke wulf last year. Viewing you pics are sparking the fire to get mine started. Can you tell me where you got the scale drawings from?

Dust
SVX is offline Find More Posts by SVX
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:01 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX View Post
Wow!! I mean wow. Some great work there. Thanks for posting. I purchased the BT plans for the smaller focke wulf last year. Viewing you pics are sparking the fire to get mine started. Can you tell me where you got the scale drawings from?

Dust
Thanks Dust.

I picked up the drawings packet from here: You will want packet 2993b

http://www.myhobbystore.com/product/...-fw190-drawing
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:10 AM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
1,108 Posts
Hey invertmast, I think you got a few details wrong!!!... Tell you what, How about you ship it off to me so I can figure them out for you.. However you may not get it back..LOL

Excellent job! Now that the weather is getting better, I hope to get back on my dora after I've recovered and I received the mask a few weeks ago for Black 14. My Holman anton is on hold for a bit as I cheated and bought another SIST Anton.

demire is offline Find More Posts by demire
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demire View Post
Hey invertmast, I think you got a few details wrong!!!... Tell you what, How about you ship it off to me so I can figure them out for you.. However you may not get it back..LOL

Excellent job! Now that the weather is getting better, I hope to get back on my dora after I've recovered and I received the mask a few weeks ago for Black 14. My Holman anton is on hold for a bit as I cheated and bought another SIST Anton.

Haha..thanks for the compliments man! Ill send you this one, if you send me that sist. Lol

Have you ever seen a don smith 190 build? Ive been thinking of taking his plans and blowing them up to 1/3rd scale, as i hear he drew them using the bentley 3 views as his starting point...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
Joined Jul 2007
1,108 Posts
I'll mention this trade when you finish it and se how serious you are then..lol.

Had a Don Smith Fw190 for a bit. I still have the canopy, cowl and gun hood for it but since I had a Vailly partially built, I let it go as kits this scale just aren't doing it for me. The Don Smith is the best of that size as he did draw it up per Bently drawings. You even get a set with the plans when purchased from www.precisioncutkits.com.

I've seen two builds currently on RCScailbuilder but thats it.

If you blow it up, you'll be making the cowl from scratch as I know of no one that makes one that will fit it. Maybe the new sist 1/3rd Anton cowl will.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:50 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,034 Posts
Incredible build , it just gets better every time you post !!!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:24 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demire View Post
I'll mention this trade when you finish it and se how serious you are then..lol.

Had a Don Smith Fw190 for a bit. I still have the canopy, cowl and gun hood for it but since I had a Vailly partially built, I let it go as kits this scale just aren't doing it for me. The Don Smith is the best of that size as he did draw it up per Bently drawings. You even get a set with the plans when purchased from www.precisioncutkits.com.

I've seen two builds currently on RCScailbuilder but thats it.

If you blow it up, you'll be making the cowl from scratch as I know of no one that makes one that will fit it. Maybe the new sist 1/3rd Anton cowl will.
haha.. yea by the time i get this thing done, it will probably become a museum piece. lol j/k
Good to hear the Don Smith was drawn per the Bently drawings, that will make my life easier.

If i do up a 1/3rd scale one, it will be one of those that is so large, their will be no reason Not to do it up 100% accurately. soo that means scale gear dimensions/angles and actuation style. I will also end up doing plugs and molds of the thing so as to help spread the expense over by selling a few kits. I've got to finish my F-14 first though.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Jul 2007
1,108 Posts
Are you going to use Sierra gear or make them custom for the correct down link?? What about the cockpit, will it be functional as well?? For a kit of that scale, It sure would look cool and from watching your skills, you'd be the right person to do it..