HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:40 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
Starmax 63" P-51 "Gunfighter": The Landing Gear.

Wellllll.....I decided to start tinkering with the "GUNFIGHTER" this weekend!

First on my list was the Landing Gear. After much deliberation I've decided to stick with the stock location, even though it's not scale! The E-Tract socket isn't as far back from the LE as I was afraid it was going to be.

I can see why so many guys are having issues with the E-Tracts! These ChangSuns may be fine for a Parkflyer, or maybe an EDF, but they are in no way suitable for a plane of this size! Come on Starmax, what were you thinking? It was a no-brainer, the PZ 514s were going in!

I have also decided to go a different direction on the struts as well. I have had a set of 120 Class Offset Oleo Struts from RCSkyLite for some time now, and after comparing them with the stock struts, I found them to be quite suitable for a replacement. Both the diameter and lengths were right in range with each other, so with the advantage of the RCSkyLites being aluminum and oleo, I decided to use them instead of the VQ's.
To get them to fit, first I had to disassemble them so I could chuck the upper shaft in the lathe so I could center drill the 5mm hole for the leg. I then cut 1/2" off the top at about a 70 angle so the strut would conform to the inclination of the wheel well. With the upper shaft disassembled I drilled and tapped a 4-40 thread hole for the set-screw to lock on the leg. I also made up a lower skirt bracket out of nylon and slid it on before I put the strut back together. The upper skirt mount will attach to the ring collar on the strut. I also installed a softer spring more suitable for the weight of this plane.

I did have to enlarge the wheel well 1/8" at the high point to clearance the Robart 3" Goodyears, but it is well worth it with those bigger wheels. The PZ 514s are having no problem lifting these babies up!

UP-DATE 4/03/2011: After much deliberation I have decided to take a different approach to how I wanted to anchor those 514s in the wings. I made the frames out of 1/2" Birch ply with 5/16" x 1 3/4" grooves. Because these frames were going to embedded deeper in the foam I had to remove 1/4" off each of the 4 wing brace legs. My idea was to figure a way to secure these frames to the wing braces along with the epoxy I was going to use, and still have room for the T-nuts I planned to use with the larger 514s. The slots gave me the option to make angled wedges of different degrees so I could get those Goodyears down in the wheel bay.

UP-DATE 5/18/2011: I finally got the Landing Gear finished. I got the skirt brackets done and clearanced to close the new skirts up tight against the wheel wells. Because of the RC Skylite alum. struts and 3" Goodyears, I had to make a new set of skirts.

I have probably cycled these 514s with the new LG at least 30 times now, and haven't had one glitch, so I'm confident the LG assembly is good to go!
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 21, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2011, 02:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Was wondering if I purchased this bird..(also considering the Eflite B model platinum) if I could send you a set of retracts and some cash to modify a set for me..would also want a set of the birch to go in the wings if I decide to pull the trigger...I fly from a manicured grass field but don't have access to a lathe to do the mods to the gear that are required for your solution, but I will need the strength. send me a pm and let me know a dollar figure.

TM
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:10 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
i took your advice, and got the 514's for my modded cmp P-51 50 size....i was using the vq struts and 3" tires....and the RCL gear wouldnt lift them....the 514's had no problem lifting them, and they work on my A123 pack as well....thanks for the tip! couldnt be happier with them! now i see these struts your using....and i have to get some!!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:31 AM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,258 Posts
Where can I find the 514s?

Thanks for all the helpful photos.
Jim
Jim Frahm is online now Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:12 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,484 Posts
Gary where did you get the strut pins? And where did you get the delrin mounts for the gear doors?
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:30 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
Where can I find the 514s?

Thanks for all the helpful photos.
Jim
Both HobbyPartz and Hobby King have them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:52 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Gary where did you get the strut pins? And where did you get the delrin mounts for the gear doors?
I made the pins out of 3/16" steel rod. The skirt brackets are made from some 3/8" x 3/4" delrin I got from a woodworking supplier years ago. You might check out U.S. Plastics?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:34 AM
Australia, QLD, Eumundi
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
Landing gear experience?

Hi Gary
I should receive my 1600mm Starmax P-51 Shangri La from HK within the next few days. One of the first jobs will be the retracts mod and would like to know if any further modifying has been needed since your first flights. At this point I have prepared the new timber frames and will replicate your build set up unless you suggest any later amendments.

Your detail and photographs are excellent and I am looking forward to implementing most, if not all, of your build mods.
jomism is offline Find More Posts by jomism
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Gary,

I've been reading your blog on the landing gear setup on the Starmax 63" mustang. I've taken the same route and have just cut the timber mounting blocks. Just wondering though, I take it that the HK514s go through the mounting block as they are deeper than the depth of the block you've used? If that is so, how did you get them to fit between the plastic legs for the original plastic mounting piece. I'm using a 12mm piece of marine ply and the body of the 514s go through that, but won't seat down in between the plastic legs as it is too wide. Any hints?

Thanks

Darren
013531 is offline Find More Posts by 013531
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:49 AM
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Gary,

What size t nuts did you use please?

Thanks

Darren
013531 is offline Find More Posts by 013531
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined Jun 2012
37 Posts
Hi and thank u so much for this thread

As i was opening ur link i saw that they have these now: http://shop.rcskylite.com/products/4...1-Mustang.html

Do u think i can use them with this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_1pc_54g.html
without any big changes?

Ive already have some bigger Servos and a Powersetup with about 1500W to be fit in my Mustang but i dont want it to land on the belly... so i need other retracts :P
palm369 is offline Find More Posts by palm369
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:10 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Hi Sandancer.

Great information on upgrading the landing gear! You wouldn't by any chance know where I can find a set of replacement wings would you?

On the 3rd flight of my Gunfighter I had a very hard landing and broke the landing gear (as shown in the video). So not knowing how to really fix it, I used Gorilla Glue and glued them back into place. But now I would like to upgrade the gear, and I'm worried if I start to cut the stock ones out I'm going to damage the wings beyond repair. So I would like to start from scratch on a fresh set of wings. But I've been having a hard time finding a place that sells spare parts. I've looked at BananaHobbies, but the only thing they list as spare parts is a Transmitter, transmitter strap, and batteries. And HobbyKing also has no spare parts listed for the Starmax P-51. So I was wondering if you knew of any other site that sells Starmax parts?

Thanks.

3rd flight, and 1st crash of my Starmax 1600mm P-51 Mustang (Gunfighter) (4 min 32 sec)
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984