HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2003, 02:55 AM
**crunch**
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2003
483 Posts
any comments or experience with this one?

I currently have an AXI 2814/12 running 20-25 amps off 8-9 hecell 1750 nimhs... this works out to be about 17 ounces of motor + batts + esc, and pulls about 30ish ounces of thrust... its in a HOB 52" acro cub, which is a fun plane to fly, but im thinking of putting it in something more radical and stepping the cub (pics in a thread in parklflyers) down to a less expensive setup.

so i've just caught wind of some new (I think) kits at - House of Balsa namely the 36" span 280 sq in. profile sukhoi or profile extra. they look to be built pretty light - they spec 26oz AUW with a .12 glow engine in the nose. anyone think this is doable on my 2814/12?

i have realized that my axi is in an awkward size range, too big for some, to small for others. If i don't move it over to one of these, i'll be waiting for stevensaero's 15.5% edge ... *drool*.

thanks,

Barrett
capncrunch is offline Find More Posts by capncrunch
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2003, 03:16 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
I think the 2814 is a little big for a 36" plane. The 2808 is a better choice. For your 14 look for something in the mid- to high-fourty's in wing span.
The ModelTech Extra 300 from Hobby People is a good flyer for the money and a good choice for your 14 length AXI.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:56 PM
**crunch**
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2003
483 Posts
still thinking about what next to toss my 2814/12 in... this seems like an unpopular size of motor - like a speed 500

I would like to stay away from ARFs, unless i manage a three-plane day and need something-anything to fly...

so i figure 40"+ ws, ~30oz. auw planes are good for my setup... any thoughts or recommendations are welcome

right now im leaning towards designing something or the jmglascraft hummin' bird. anyone have experience with their kits?

thanks

Barrett
capncrunch is offline Find More Posts by capncrunch
Old Sep 02, 2003, 01:40 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,734 Posts
I really like my Glascraft FunX-E (nice kit), but these things are built for speed. Also, the nose is tight, and not easy to modify being glass. Don't know about room.

Another option- the Apache should work fine on that motor- nice flying airplane, but not as good an aerobat as the FunX-E.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe