HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:49 PM
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Dec 2010
346 Posts
Discussion
120SR owners: how do you like it?

Curious what all of the 120sr owners think of the heli - do you love it, is it just okay, or it collects dust?
bunger is offline Find More Posts by bunger
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:18 PM
U.K.
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Had mine for just over 4 weeks now (second heli after 1 week with a Syma S032) and still getting to grips with it. Really enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction that comes with completing a few incident free batteries.
Have a mcx2 as well now just to help with orientation because although I can hover it tail in fairly easily I still struggle particularly with nose in.
It is a bit of a weird size though, bit big for indoor but struggles in fairly light winds and I'm not convinced that it behaves exactly like a heli should... Especially after seeing my LHS guy flying his mcpx (with all the settings dumbed down on his dx8) at an indoor club yesterday. Specifically the 'pendulum' effect and it's over enthusiasm for turning right!
Having said all that, after the indoor sesh at the local school I fell in love all over again because in a large wind free area I finally had the chance to be a bit brave and pulled off continous fast circuits to the left and right (?!) and FFF! Can now repeat said moves in the garden now relatively incident free and I strongly recommend finding a sportshall or similar to unleash it's potential!
Overall then, very pleased and only a couple of minor gripes -
Standard transmitter feels a bit vague
Not great in winds above 3 - 4 mph although that may be my lack of talent
'Advanced swash' feels like a con to me, negligible difference
That's it, love it and still learning to tame it's quirks!!
This is the opinion of an absolute 'newb' so please take it easy if I've been controversial anywhere...:-)
ChopSt1cks is offline Find More Posts by ChopSt1cks
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Dec 2010
346 Posts
I just bought one today and the wind thing threw me quite a bit. I have a msr for indoors and wanted an outdoor heli, knowing the 120sr is a bit big for my house.

I took it out this afternoon and there was very light wind... not sure mph, but it wasn't ruffling my hair. The 120 really struggled with it.

Interesting to hear another with similar experience....
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:30 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
I've had mine for about a week now and I like it. Mastered hovering indoors and took it outside this morning while it was still calm, flew fine in about 3-5mph winds. I wouldn't fly it in any more wind though, it's just not made for it.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:24 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
I've had my 120SR for over 3 weeks now, and have developed a "love/hate" relationship with it. On one end, I love the challenge of mastering this heli. I come from an extensive coaxial background that comprised mostly of 3 channel IR controlled ultra micro helis, with a few larger, RF ones as well.

Well so far, the learning curve with the 120SR has been steep for me. Maybe someone who hasn't flown 3 channel would have an easier time to master it. I can hover in my small living room, and can do some FF though not at speed that requires to bank in the turn using aileron...at least not yet.

So far, I've broken a body mount rod, broken battery mount, a cracked mounting hole on the canopy, and the tail motor failed caused by a hard hit while flying it in the living room. It's not the cheapest heli that I've owned but I like it very much.

I do agree with the assessment that the 120SR is an odd size being a bit large for some indoor spaces though a gym or similar space would not be an issue. And it's not quite enough to handle wind above 5 m.p.h. outdoor though some experienced pilots could probably do it.

In the long, and short of it, the 120SR can be for you if it fits your requirements. If you have plenty of indoor room, and live in an area that isn't windy all the time, it might be for you.

Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:52 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,374 Posts
It's my 14th in 2 years and I'm very pleased with it.

It does not necessarily do what you thought you told it to, but neither does my 4ch coax. It also does not necessarily dive for the fireplace like my 90* FP and CP do. It does not just hang like from a fishing pole like my 3chs do.

Small indoor space, have hit stuff but nothing busted. Flying with DX6i but stock settings except for a little jog in THR curve.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:04 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,183 Posts
Had mine about a month. Do not like it indoors! Take it outside at dusk and dawn when the wind is CALM. Does not handle more than 4-5 MPH. Others have said different, maybe it's my lack of skill. Crashed MANY times with no damage. You have to learn to get off the gas when the ground is coming up! I like it and I'll be flying it a while until I make the jump to CP.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:43 AM
Preston - UK
Joined Sep 2010
50 Posts
I like mine now but I hated it at first.

1. The stock transmitter feels too dissconnected from the heli. I swapped to a DX6i and it felt a lot better.

2. Swapped the swash for a microheli one and use the long balls. Big difference, heli now responds more accurately to stick input.

Other than as above - great heli to learn on ( We hire a small hall each week where 7 of us fly )

I so hope that HH are planning to create a CP version of this heli.
CBRDEANO is offline Find More Posts by CBRDEANO
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:25 PM
Joined Aug 2006
50 Posts
I really like mine. Indoors or outdoors. Even in light and up to 10+mph wind. I've even flown it in light rain with wind! I fly it more than anything else just for ease of flight and less nerve racking about damage expenses when you do crash. I do abuse it a bit without crashes, but this thing takes it.

My only complain is the tail blows out too easily if you crank on the throttle after letting the heli "fall" by cutting throttle and lift when a little when the wind decides to carry it out away too quickly.
wkma7six is offline Find More Posts by wkma7six
Last edited by wkma7six; Mar 20, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:56 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Have had mine since last fall, actually have two of them.. I enjoyed flying them till I got my V120D02 and then while I would fly the 120SR on windy days it was work doing it but the heli can handle it to a point. But then taking out the V120D02 and just flying it and not having to fight the wind was really nice.. Now that I also have the mCP's I'm not sure where the 120SR's are going to fit in other than sitting next to the two mSR's and the S300 and CX2 on the heli shelf..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:23 PM
USA, MI, Traverse City
Joined Dec 2010
346 Posts
Bob - have you had the mcpx outside yet in light wind?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:26 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunger View Post
Curious what all of the 120sr owners think of the heli - do you love it, is it just okay, or it collects dust?
LOVE it. Every time I find a day with little wind and get it out to the park i fall in love with it again I have an MSR for indoor flying, but it a lot more fun IMO to fly the 120SR in a big area than fly the little MSR indoors... It can handle a surprising amount of wind once you get good at flying it and know how it reacts and how you need to react to what it does... Definitely best to start out flying in no wind if possible to get the basics of the heli down...

Quote:
I just bought one today and the wind thing threw me quite a bit. I have a msr for indoors and wanted an outdoor heli, knowing the 120sr is a bit big for my house.

I took it out this afternoon and there was very light wind... not sure mph, but it wasn't ruffling my hair. The 120 really struggled with it.

Interesting to hear another with similar experience....
Sounds like you still have it on the short balls.... you need to swap to the long swash balls if you want to fly it in any wind...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:40 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Bob - have you had the mcpx outside yet in light wind?
Nope been very windy every time I have flown it outside so far.. I'm looking forward to trying it in the calm but as it's so good in the wind it might be to boring in the calm and I might have to try some loops, rolls, flips then to keep it entertaining......
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:11 AM
Stand up and fly!
Germany
Joined Feb 2011
75 Posts
Simply, I love it !! The 120SR in a calm day outside over the meadow rocks. And It is so much more visible in the sky than the tiny MCP-X, so the 120SR still is my favorite Heli (The MCP-X is good for flying in more wind in small areas 30 feet around)
photoart is offline Find More Posts by photoart
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:13 PM
Suspended Account
las vegas
Joined Jan 2011
149 Posts
WALKERA CB180Z all the way.....oh heyyyyyy bill. how was florida? come back with a tan? give the z a look, super super stable easy to fly heli. love this fix pitch.
steelersdean is offline Find More Posts by steelersdean