HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2003, 11:52 PM
Clear out the SQUABS!
Fremont, CA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Bushnell Radar Gun

I just got a Bushnell radar gun a couple of days ago. I went out to the slope and tried it out on the frontside. The only other flyer (thanks John) up on the hill maned the gun while I made a couple of downwind passes. His two "best" readings were 91 and 92 mph with a few in the 80 mph range.
Today my wife, a Nemesis, and I went out to Coyote Hills in Newark, CA about an half hour prior to dusk to try out the gun on the backside. A flyer leaving the parking lot as we arrived told me the wind was ~30 mph and indeed it was howling. I turned on the gun for the wife and launched the Nemesis. It was really moving, the first time I had seen the wing significantly "bow" during the bottom turns. My wife said the gun read 138 and 139 on several occasions, but did not go higher and that the remaider of the readings she remembers were less than 100. Any ideas on why this would be the case? Any known anomalies with the Bushnell gun?

As an aside, does anyone try to guestimate thier DS speed by pulling vertical and counting the seconds to stop/stall? Ignoring wind resistance and assuming a vertical path, gravity should slow the glider down by ~22 mph per second.

Thanks for any help,
Dan
danand is offline Find More Posts by danand
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2003, 12:32 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,292 Posts
I've tested the Bushnell side-by-side with a much more expensive gun, and could not find any sort of anomolous readings, with the exception of range limitation. The Bushnell is less powerfull then most radar guns, and it's often hard to catch the plane in the optimum head-on position. Often this means that the gun doesn't catch the plane until it gets closer, but is no longerin the optimum head-on position. This will make the radar see a lower then actual speed.

At the very least, you can assume that you are going at least as fast as the gun is reporting, if not a bit more.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:48 AM
Newcastle
Joined Aug 2003
17 Posts
I have also just recieved the Bushnell Speedster. I have been trying it on Traffic and balls and things and have had no trouble as yet.

I have noticed after a slight bump that it will read 1mph + or - but that is what the manual says is acceptable. So no problems here. Very happy and will be more happy when I am clocking my M60.

I will let you know of any failures and success to.
Ben
Ben Merkenhof is offline Find More Posts by Ben Merkenhof
Old Aug 14, 2003, 01:28 PM
Clear out the SQUABS!
Fremont, CA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Thank's for the info

My father, brother and I went out to Coyote Hills park in Fremont, CA and spent a few hours with the Bushnell gun on Monday. The readings appear to be accurate, no wild readings, but the range is pretty short. Typically we had to be within 50-75 feet of the gliders to get readings on a semi-consistant basis. That said, it is usable if you are not nervous about getting hit. The wind was pretty good and we were able to get readings on my brothers old Son of Savage of 75 mph backed up with a 71. My brother clocked my 2.5lb Nemesis at 134 backed with 131 and 129 readings.

Dan
Old Aug 14, 2003, 03:33 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,292 Posts
A tip with the Bushnell: Don't just hold the gun stationary and try and let the plane pass through it. That works for other guns, but not the Bushnell. Hold the trigger down and track the plane around the bottom of the circle. The speed will not be affected by moving the gun.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:50 PM
Newcastle
Joined Aug 2003
17 Posts
Cool thanks for the tip.
Ben Merkenhof is offline Find More Posts by Ben Merkenhof
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:02 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
Doesn't this gun only measure to 150 MPH? What brand will measure faster planes?

Steve
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Aug 15, 2003, 01:32 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,292 Posts
It measures up to 200mph. The highest reading we've ever got off of it is 192mph, in which case the radar is definitely outclassed for DS purposes (you just have to make too many compromises in how you fly to get it to work at those speeds).

The Bushnell is better used for lower speed DS (150mph or less), or DS at small spots where the range limitations don't matter as much.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:51 AM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,081 Posts
My first day of clocking planes was pretty tough. We were mostly trying to fly right at the gun, and many times it didn't register. I'm thinking it's because the silloette of the plane coming at the gun has such little surface area, and all of it rounded....
invictarocks is offline Find More Posts by invictarocks
Old Aug 15, 2003, 02:59 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,292 Posts
Hmmm...never had that much problem. Some report that taking the plastic cover off the front helps. Also, make sure you're using fresh batteries.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 05:29 AM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
taking the tinted cover off the front of the gun def helps a lot. Also anybody found that some models are easier to "see" than others? The aeromod Miraj etc seem to be much harder than anything else including foamies and smaller moulded
Ade is offline Find More Posts by Ade
Old Aug 16, 2003, 05:37 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,292 Posts
Must be all those weird angles. It's a stealth glider.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 07:55 AM
nashville tennessee
Joined Jun 2003
85 Posts
my m60 has chrome auto trim on leading edge for decoration.
might help on radar ranging.
bbreidenbach is offline Find More Posts by bbreidenbach
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:19 PM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
Foamies show up great, its strange.

Ade
Ade is offline Find More Posts by Ade
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:45 AM
Clear out the SQUABS!
Fremont, CA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Radar gun accuracy

I would agree that foamies are indeed easy to pick up with the Bushnell radar gun. Small (60") molded gliders are a bit tougher to catch.

On a related subject, and I don't mean any disrepect to anyone or start a flame, I'd just like be "enlightened" a little. I am thinking of ugrading from my Bushnell gun to a Sports Pro, SpeedPro or a used Stalker Pro/ATR gun. I am looking for a little more range than the Bushnell offers. Before I get too far into making a decision, I'd like to gather a little info from any of you that are "in the know".

Has anyone tested a Sports Pro or SpeedPro gun against the one of the industry gold standard Stalker guns? Am I correct in that all of the exceptional (over 210 for moldies and 130 for foamies) speeds recorded have been with guns other than the Stalker?

Thanks for any help,
Dan