Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:55 PM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
Build Log
Shereshaw XP-3, RC-1 Build log

Hi All,

Dan Walton from Laser Technologies (The guy who brought you the Valkyrie laser kit) and I are teaming up to build the Shereshaw XP-3/RC-1. When we get through the build, Dan will offer a laser cutting of the kit. We have several challenges to work through, but I think this will be a really interesting project.

Dan and I spent a bit of time discussing just where to start. Since this will be an RC version, the RC-1 seemed like the best place to start. The problem is that the plans that AMA sent us just didn't seem completely correct. The wing shape was different, the nose gear was a bit strange, the plans showed a single fin, and the graphics were in pretty bad shape. So, we decided to go back to the free-flight version, the XP-3 (Experimental Pusher Version 3) and start from there. So far, the only changes we have made are to add ailerons and lower the wing dihedral a few degrees to give those ailerons a boost. From the photo, the RC-1 should have twin fins so we will be making that change from the XP-3 as well.

Dan has the first cuttings of the ribs ready and I have the rest of the flat wood so I'm going to get started. This is no small model! The wing span is 10 feet! The fuselage length is just shy of 57". It will be built to R/E/A/T and electrically powered. I think one of our biggest challenges will be getting the CG in the right place. Because of that we will start with the wings, then move to the tail group and then the booms so we will have these parts to get an idea of what changes we"ll have to make to the fuselage to get the balance in the right spot. We will be making this up as we go along, so there may be a few backward steps, but I think it will turn out to be a really fun and very different airplane. The wings are removable to help get this in my Mini

Below are some photos to give you an idea and a look at the plans with Dan's cuttings. I'll keep you updated as we move along.

Stay tuned!!

Thanks, Franny
Franny B is offline Find More Posts by Franny B
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:50 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,789 Posts
Good for you Fanny, should be very interesting. I'm predicting 38 pages for this thread.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
933 Posts
Another fascinating project, Franny. I'm along for the ride!

P
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:12 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,314 Posts
You must be nuts! Why not the XP-2? http://www.boundy39.com/cgi-bin/sam.pl
There is even a gull wing version.
They're lumberyards, but if it flies like my Nimbus, it may be worth it!
SAM Champs 2008 Shereshaw Nimbus II (3 min 38 sec)
RyanNX211 is online now Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:34 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,601 Posts
Tre cool!
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:30 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,314 Posts
I can't find it at the moment so maybe someone will beat me to it.

The late great Dave Baker of SAM 35 wrote an article about the design(s). While living in NJ, he saw one hanging in a hobby shop with a very long nose. He would tell people that it was not per the original until Ben Shereshaw himself corrected him. Later, Dave would build one himself with the extended nose and it looked pretty sharp.

It may be a matter of taste, but it would undoubtably help with keeping the model balanced.
RyanNX211 is online now Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
About 2-3 years ago, I worked on a set of plans for the noted model and parts, and as mentioned the originals came to me "In pieces" from like three sources as no one place had a complete set at the time. I thought it odd but went on. For Autocad and the plotter don't care. I can see you found the same.

We pictured a very early model Brown engine on our set of plans, but used one of the late model Brown engines.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:02 PM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
Well, I think we will end up with a mixture of the XP-3 and RC-1... From what I have read, the XP-1 ans XP-2 were were just earlier revisions and the XP-3 had the vast majority of the bugs worked out. The RC-1 was set up to use that new fangled radio gear and could haul over five pounds of equipment!

I'm laying out the wing now. The plans seem a little conflicting at the moment which usually means I haven't stared at them quite long enough yet. I'll post some photos when I start to actually glue something...

franny
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:06 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Go get'em Franny!!
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:42 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
612 Posts
Yay! Franny's building a new aeroplane.!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:56 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,043 Posts
Subscribed!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
Hi All,

I've been finishing up a Fokker Triplane, but I have been working on the wing a bit. I have the major ribs placed and am working on the dihedral brace boxed that have to be installed in Ribs 1-3. There are two, one for each of the spars, but, since the wing is swept and the spars are not parallel, the boxes don't run completely under the wing spars. I am building them as a separate piece and then I'll cut out the ribs to accept them. Dan will be adding circular holes in his cutting so you can use CF or Al tubes which will simplify things quite a bit. For this build we are starting with a dihedral of 6" at the tips which translates to about 6.8deg. The lower dihedral should help aileron response, but with the dihedral boxes and braces, I will be able to increase or decrease the dihedral during the test-flying phase if we are off a bit. I'll get some photos up soon.

Franny
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:53 PM
Geppetto
United States, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2005
130 Posts
Subscribed!

Go Franny, go Franny, go Franny go!

Geppetto
1stGeppetto is offline Find More Posts by 1stGeppetto
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:24 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,043 Posts
Can wait Franny! This week I was in Missouri, so I stopped by Dan's shop (Mr. Laser Technologies)! Cool stuff! He has about 4 laser cutting machines and it smells like burning wood everywhere! Many cool kits stacked on the shelves which hopefully he will be offering in the future. We talked about Valkyries and autogyros!

And he must of been hiding that XP-3 plans from me....he wouldn't crack! TOP SECRET what you guys are planning out. Every time I would snoop around his watch dogs would attack (he has three of them...FIERCE!)

Looking forward to photos Franny!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:54 PM
Stupid Gravity!
Arvada, Co
Joined Feb 2006
843 Posts
Finally some photos!

Hi All,

I have been working on the right wing panel. I am making things a bit more difficult than they need to be by building the original dihedral boxes into the root. They are a pain and a bit hard to align, but will allow the testing of different dihedral angles if we need to. Dan will add holes in the proper locations for a tubular, removable brace system. That will simplify that a bunch! Also, we designed for ailerons. Looks like we will shorten the ailerons back one bay from the tip because of the reducing thickness of the tip. It is causing a strange problem with the angled bottom of the aileron LE. It appears to split away at the tip. Rather than getting crazy with the LE, we thought just shortening it a bay would be easiest. I think they will still be very effective in flight. They are really just for cross-wing landings anyway...

I still have a bit to go... -- the fixes noted in the photos and I have to add the spar shear webs and the tons of sheeting. Also, I have to work out the aileron servo location and linkage. I haven't completely decided on an attachment method so I'll leave the root unsheeted for now.

We are on our way!

Franny
Last edited by Franny B; Mar 28, 2011 at 02:06 PM.