HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:20 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2009
18 Posts
Discussion
Help identifying this cowl for stick plane

Hi everyone. I want to put a cowl on a Hangar 9 Super Stick and the only one I've found that I like is the one shown in the picture. I already checked the MA plans and suppliers for a LW US conversion, but that's for the giant ultra stick, so no help there. Does anybody know where does this cowl come from? or any ideas of what cowl of similar size / shape can I use with a Super/Ultra Stick 60?

The firewall's outer dimensions are 3" 9/16W x 3" 13/16H, and the distance from the firewall to the propeller is 5" 1/4 to 5" 1/2 with the engine I am using.

Thank you.
moisesh is offline Find More Posts by moisesh
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:51 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
that cowl looks something like one on a Shoestring, I think H9 had it out...I've you tried fiberglass specialities? They advertise in alot of magazines
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:52 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
986 Posts
That cowl looks just like the one on my " Balsa USA " Phaeton 2 . I just got a new one last month. Check their site . ENJOY !!! RED
redh is online now Find More Posts by redh
Old Mar 20, 2011, 03:16 AM
Joined Oct 2009
18 Posts
Jtechmech: Yeah, looks a lot like the Shoestring. However I can only find the one from greatplanes. Regarding fiberglass specialties, not sure how to ask for a cowl that will fit if they dont have one specifically made for the SS/US 60. The one they have for the low wing ultra stick conversion featured in AM mag is for the giant 1.20 ultrastick.

Redh: the phaeton may fit as well, but seems like the cheeks are a bit wide. Would it be possible for you to measure your firewall and see if it is close to the measurements I posted?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:01 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
measure the fuse at the cowling and ask them if they have anything that will fit.....don't forget to measure the length as well as the fuse
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
986 Posts
I can't measure the fire wall without takeing things apart but my replacemnt cowl indicates it will probably be to short 4 3/4 ".

Here are some more measurments if you can follow them.
Cheek to cheek outside 6 1/2 " Top to bottom at back of cowl 5 3/4 "
firewall to nose 4 3/4 " cheek hight 1 3/4 " cheek lenght 3 1/4 "

Looks like it would be a bit short unless you wanted to make a spacer. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is online now Find More Posts by redh
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:13 AM
Joined Oct 2009
18 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to take and post measurements Red. Unfortunately, this cowl is a bit too wide and short for my setup.